The curious cases of Josh Gordon and Ray Rice

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
So the NFL upheld the year long suspension of Josh Gordon today for failing a drug test (weed) for a 3rd time. Meanwhile Ray Rice got suspended 2 games for beating the crap out of his fiancee (which was caught on tape). I mostly like what Goodell has done for the league discipline-wise. He is tough (usually) and in that league you need a strong commish. But this one just seems dead wrong.

I will admit I'm a bit biased since I have Gordon in my dynasty league and am gutted today :angel:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think it's considered performance enhancement but it is a banned substance in the NFL obviously since it is still illegal in all but a few states. Gordon is an idiot for sure, been busted a few times now but still...a full season vs. 2 games for a dude who punched out his fiancee. I think they got this wrong in both directions...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
DarthFed said:
I don't think it's considered performance enhancement but it is a banned substance in the NFL obviously since it is still illegal in all but a few states. Gordon is an idiot for sure, been busted a few times now but still...a full season vs. 2 games for a dude who punched out his fiancee. I think they got this wrong in both directions...

But my point is why are they even checking for it when it is irrelevant to an athletes performance? Why is it banned in the NFL in the first place? It is like pulling over a car because it is all over the road and asking for the driver's immigration status. Irrelevant...I am all for checking for everything that gives the player an unfair advantage on the field. But no more.

Also, if there is a team in a state where weed is legal, their players will not get banned if they smoke weed?:huh:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It is likely a rule that will get revised once weed is legal across the country (which probably will happen within 10 years I'd imagine). But until then the NFL will include it as a banned substance just due to it not being legal everywhere. It's similar to any sport testing for recreational/illegal drugs so I have no problem with them disciplining him but a full year seems harsh especially in light of the Ray Rice fiasco. The whole thing just looks silly when you put them side by side.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Ray Rice just got released.. Excellent!! Since the release and After watching that punk coldcock that young woman, They had to let that jackass go. Now the police need to re open that case and put his ass in jail.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yea I hear it is awful. I still wonder why this wasn't done in the first place? Why did they even need to see the video footage to suspend him more than 2 games and to have Baltimore dump his ass? It was already established that he had knocked her out cold in the elevator.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
The Ravens knew that the social media and etc backlash was going to be to great so they did what weak ass Roger Goodell didnt have the stones to do.:clap

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah Goodell is probably thrilled to have another chance to suspend Rice "indefinitely" to get his ridiculous 2 game ban out of the spotlight.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Seems to me to be a morality thing. Marijuana isn't a perphormance enhancer, but neither is cold-cocking your girlphriend.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hear weed with specific people can help their mental game, but I think this is few and far between, where the slower paced thinking of marijuana can help you think more clearly in athletic situations.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I could be wrong but weed is considered just a "banned substance" by the NFL and not a performance enhancer. This distinction would be important if weed becomes legal in all the states when the NFL would probably determine if it should remain as a banned substance.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Uhhh Ohhh

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11503851/ray-rice-videotape-sent-nfl-executive-april

Not surprised as it seemed very unlikely that the NFL hadn't seen the footage inside the elevator until this week. I think Goodell's days are numbered now.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Uhhh Ohhh

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11503851/ray-rice-videotape-sent-nfl-executive-april

Not surprised as it seemed very unlikely that the NFL hadn't seen the footage inside the elevator until this week. I think Goodell's days are numbered now.

Not so fast, remember Roger works for the owners, he has been a real cash cow for them, he may take a major hit in the court of public opinion but he didn't commit the domestic act or etc. He should resign but he won't.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Absolutely he should resign. It's bad enough that he was giving Rice a slap on the wrist. Now it seems very likely that he lied about not seeing the footage before Monday.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
we shall see...(even with the news that the tape was delivered to the NFL league office in April)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Goodell is a weasel so anything is possible. An NFL scandal has the potential to get 10 times the coverage of an NBA one though, the media leeches have to be loving their lives right now :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
And anyone else been following the news regarding a new drug policy in the NFL? If the owners agree to it the big news is that Gordon's ban is likely going to be lifted immediately. And right after I traded the mofo in my dynasty league :(

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
So, we have major Baseball scandal, major NBA scandal, major NFL scandal recently.

When is the major tennis scandal coming out?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Man the NFL is having one hell of a week.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514522/adrian-peterson-minnesota-vikings-indicted-child-case

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/roddy-white-thinks-his-fantasy-team-is-the-real-victim-of-the-adrian-peterson-case/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed