Premier League/Champions League 22/23

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Culled from the FB wall of Kay Lord

Leo Messi turned down going to the Saudi League for a reported offer of about $1.7B for a 3 year contract @ $425M per year, and some were hailing him that he chose continuous active playing career by going to InterMiami who can never offer him anything near the above. They said he's more into the game than monetary gain. I laugh...

I have been digging to know what the real reason is because his turning that offer down is totally against all football and its attendant short career life span consideration. When football players reached that 30 year old mark, and they can still play actively, the next thing they are looking for is somewhere to earn their retirement package.

That's why it's not surprising with Ronaldo going to Saudi. Likewise Benzema, Kante, Koulibaly, Mendi, Neves and a host of others players who are all in their 30s. That's the normal thing to do at that age - cash out and retire. But why did Messi refuse to go and earn what dwarfed all other players contract in Saudi? A freaking $1.7B record contract!

Messi is not stupid. He did not go to InterMiama in the MLS for any football reason like some are making it to look like. He actually went for a deal that is not only more than $1.7B offered by the Saudi club, he also went for a legacy contract that will eventually turn him into a multi-billionaire after his playing career in a few years time.

InterMiami knew they could never match the Saudi offer, so they got creative. They brought 3 other entities on the table to lure Messi to MLS. Let's check Messi's deal out because David Beckam and Messi just changed the business of sports forever. This is one of the greatest sports deals of all time. In addition to his salary, Messi's deal comprises of:

1. A share of MLS League Pass streaming revenue. Apple just paid $2.5B to own the streaming rights for American soccer. They decide to offer Messi a share of the streaming revenue which has never been done before in the history of any sport.

2. To sweeten the deal, Adidas offered Messi a profit share in all MLS apparel they sell. This is similar to the deal Michael Jordan signed with Nike that eventually made him a billionaire after his playing career.

3. Messi also got the option to buy a percentage of an MLS team when he's done playing. That's a genious move by David Beckam, co-owner of InterMiami which Messi will be playing for who facilitated all these deals.

So, Messi is getting salary, streaming rights, apparel share and future ownership of an MLS team (most likely InterMiami). The good part of the deal is that everyone on these deals is a winner and smiling to the bank.

Apple streaming subscription already skyrocketed, shirts are flying out of stores. Why? Because Messi is coming to MLS. MLS has one of the greatest players in the world as its face. For InterMiami, the average ticket price has jumped from $80 to $420 the minute the news was announced.

He said no to $1.7B and signed the greatest sports deal of all time.

In all these, I give kudos to David Beckham. He has moved from being a retired footballer to becoming a shrewd business man.

© Kay Lord, 290623.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Never really considered what European leagues have done to African and South American leagues before. He makes a good point

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
some fascinating revelations about Dele Ali...

I love this perspective. I agree with it!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1690213429533.jpeg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is a very interesting discussion from 1975 about football in the North East of England. It’s a very good quality discussion but also it reminded me of the great Kevin Keegan team at Newcastle in the nineties which were very popular and entertaining - and they never won anything either!

Things haven’t really changed there until now they got another influx of money, but will they finally win something?