• Tsonga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wawrinka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
#189 ranked. Same size as Novak, and French. I guess the home crowd might give him a game. Will be curious to see him, too.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I saw the Herbert vs Paire match. The former had a group of rowdy friends behind him and played a calm, solid match, rushing the net and applying pressure. The latter was mentally frazzled, allowing the fans to get under his skin. Paire got a violation for smashing his racquet and near the end was anxious to get off the court. It was good to see how much this win meant to the young player.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I have never heard of PIERRE-HUGUES HERBERT either, but his reward for beating Paire is getting Novak tomorrow. I will try to catch that one to have an idea about the guy.
I never heard of him until this morning, until I checked who are the successful qualifiers. He had a WC to enter in the Qualification round having such a low ranking (189) and did good job defeating Zeballos ranked 51 and then K. De Schepper who was a surprise at Wimbledon (R16). So now he defeated 3 top 100 in a row, indication that he can improve on his current ranking significantly.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
1972Murat said:
Another early exit for team Tomic. I am wondering how things are in his camp these days...

He did win a couple of matches in qualifying. And this surface next to grass is probably best for Lopez which is a decent player. Let's see how the transition to a new coach went when he is playing back home.

Right. Tomic defeated Karlovic and Carreno-Busta to make it into the man draw. And Lopez is the higher ranked player at the moment.

zalvar

Masters Champion
Reactions
How annoying is this net in front of the camera?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
zalvar said:
How annoying is this net in front of the camera?

Extremely. It looks like they're playing in a prison yard, and we're peaking through the fence.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Good win for Dimitrov but I'm hoping the rumours of this being Llodra's final tournament are just that. He'll be very disappointed with this result having reached the semi last year.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pospisil is stinking it up against Andujar. He must be worn out from his run at Basel.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Popsicle could not refreeze. :( Loses the R1 decider to Andujar 6-4

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:

I think Riotbeard is correct: Pospisil is tired from Basel. That shouldn't be an excuse, though -- he needs to work on his fitness. It worked out for me in terms of the draw challenge, since I picked Monfils, who was replaced by the lucky loser Andujar.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Andujar is a Lucky Loser. Does anyone know what happened to Berdych? (Actually, they just said on TV that Andujar was in Valencia last night at 11:30pm when he got the call.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Front242 said:
Good win for Dimitrov but I'm hoping the rumours of this being Llodra's final tournament are just that. He'll be very disappointed with this result having reached the semi last year.

I heard 2014 was his last year..maybe I got it wrong.:huh:

Commentator just said end of next year, so I think it is 2014, then.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
And Andujar is a Lucky Loser. Does anyone know what happened to Berdych? (Actually, they just said on TV that Andujar was in Valencia last night at 11:30pm when he got the call.)

Andujar replaced Monfils (injured), not Berdych.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
Moxie629 said:

Andujar replaced Monfils (injured), not Berdych.

Oh, thanks...I misread the draw.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
tented said:
kskate2 said:

I think Riotbeard is correct: Pospisil is tired from Basel. That shouldn't be an excuse, though -- he needs to work on his fitness. It worked out for me in terms of the draw challenge, since I picked Monfils, who was replaced by the lucky loser Andujar.

I figured as much. Was hoping he would make a nice run in the last masters event, but not to be. You're right. He's not used to going deep every week and doesn't have the fitness to sustain a high level of play for several consecutive tournaments.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
kskate2 said:
tented said:
kskate2 said:

I figured as much. Was hoping he would make a nice run in the last masters event, but not to be. You're right. He's not used to going deep every week and doesn't have the fitness to sustain a high level of play for several consecutive tournaments.

Something we see far too much of. How many times have guys ranked, say, 20-50 won a 250 or 500 (or at least were in the final), only to lose in the first round the following week? How can they expect to get their ranking up if they can't even play? I don't get it. They need look no further than the Top 5-6 to see how fit they are, and therefore capable of playing a lot of matches, week after week.