2013 Paris BNP Paribas Masters F: Novak v. David

Who wins Bercy?

• Total voters

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Novak leads the series 10-5.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F401&oId=D643

They met once this year at the SF of Aus. A match Nole took in straights. Ferrer does have 2 hard court wins over the Serb.

Who wins their 2nd title in Bercy?
The defending champ
david-ferrer.jpg

or the 2009 champ
IN16_TENNIS_BNP_MAST_12651e.jpg

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This final also means Paris will have finally snapped its streak of having a different winner since 2005. If Ferrer wins, he'll be the first player ever to have defended it.

Srini

Futures Player
Reactions
Novak in 3. Hope Ferrer makes it interesting, was hoping for a Rafa Novak final on a lazy sunday.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
What's my prediction? Pain! For Ferrer. Went for Novak in 3 also. Ferrer is gonna play his heart out to defend his title but Djokovic is playing his heart out for the very slim shot of getting year end number 1. Two guys on a mission but Djokovic imo will go all out to win.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lSPNQ82Sq4E[/video]

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
I need to Daaaaaavid to extend Novak and make him hit as many shots as possible. Rafa will pay him accordingly, perhaps with Barcelona.

(joking about Barcelona of course)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
This should be easy, Djokovic is too focused to play with his food.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
David will need the focus and intensity that he brought today, but the game plan is not exactly the same. However, if Djokovic comes out with the (lack of) focus and intensity he brought to the first 1.3 or so sets of the match today, he will get into trouble. Still, he knows he's still got a shot at the YE #1 and will likely not mess around like he did today. And since I didn't give him the confidence today, and no one has voted for him, I'll go David in 3, though, to win it, I think he'd have to do it in 2.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
David will need the focus and intensity that he brought today, but the game plan is not exactly the same. However, if Djokovic comes out with the (lack of) focus and intensity he brought to the first 1.3 or so sets of the match today, he will get into trouble.

Ferrer's serve (while decent for a little fella) won't be close to what Roger's was that first set. Secondly I don't see him varying the spin off his backhand shot to keep Novak from getting his rhythm the way Roger did.

Skreech will have to be really out of focus and serve poorly for Farquaad to win this.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
David will need the focus and intensity that he brought today, but the game plan is not exactly the same. However, if Djokovic comes out with the (lack of) focus and intensity he brought to the first 1.3 or so sets of the match today, he will get into trouble.

Ferrer's serve (while decent for a little fella) won't be close to what Roger's was that first set. Secondly I don't see him varying the spin off his backhand shot to keep Novak from getting his rhythm the way Roger did.

Skreech will have to be really out of focus and serve poorly for Farquaad to win this.

Yes, I think you're right. It would be great for Ferrer to double-up in Paris, because greater career highlights are likely to elude him, but he's not playing a newbie for this title, and Djokovic would have to give a lot of help.

Iona16

Masters Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:

Yes, I think you're right. It would be great for Ferrer to double-up in Paris, because greater career highlights are likely to elude him, but he's not playing a newbie for this title, and Djokovic would have to give a lot of help.

I'm sad to say I think you're right. I'd love to see Ferrer take this but Djokovic is a man on a mission this week.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
David (for me) will always be the "Little Engine that Could". Exho or Slam, he will be out there giving the best he has to give that day. Some may not like his style of play, but it's difficult not to admire his committment.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
David (for me) will always be the "Little Engine that Could". Exho or Slam, he will be out there giving the best he has to give that day. Some may not like his style of play, but it's difficult not to admire his committment.

Agreed. He has 2 strikes against him: he's over 30 and under 6'. (Though over-30 is becoming less of a detriment than being early 20's, in today's game, it seems.) I can't help but feel that El Dude's "Lost Generation" could learn something from him: you don't get points just for being tall; and seeming like the next-best-thing doesn't necessarily make you that. They could all learn a lot from Ferrer's focus and commitment. As you say, some don't love his game, but I'd be astonished to find anyone who doesn't admire him.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
No1e in straight sets, but not as easy as in Melbourne this year.