Oscar Pistorius Trial

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
As with so many public trials, what the media sets as the bar to determine guilt is vastly different than the law. Through their efforts to create an audience they adjudicate according to false testimony and conjecture and deceive the public. When once again it turns out that the Law finds the person "not guilty" everyone is surprised. If media would explain trials based on what the Law requires there would not be such a discrepancy, neither would there be the large audiences providing advertising dollars. And so it continues.

Guilt is determined on the basis of what can be proven. That said, Pistorious will still go to jail.

Shoot, brother, I think there was a lot proven - and admitted - in this trial...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
As with so many public trials, what the media sets as the bar to determine guilt is vastly different than the law. Through their efforts to create an audience they adjudicate according to false testimony and conjecture and deceive the public. When once again it turns out that the Law finds the person "not guilty" everyone is surprised. If media would explain trials based on what the Law requires there would not be such a discrepancy, neither would there be the large audiences providing advertising dollars. And so it continues.

Guilt is determined on the basis of what can be proven. That said, Pistorious will still go to jail.

What already has been established in this trial is enough to put any man in jail for murder, by most laws. Your point is valid, but keep in mind, the law didn't find Pistorious not guilty. The judge did. There's a difference. In other words, the judge found him not guilty of murder for arbitrary reasons (a judgment call, if you will), and NOT because there is a clear text of law that sides with Pistorious in this case, or the evidence he showed (or the evidence the prosecution failed to show).

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
nehmeth said:

What already has been established in this trial is enough to put any man in jail for murder, by most laws. Your point is valid, but keep in mind, the law didn't find Pistorious not guilty. The judge did. There's a difference. In other words, the judge found him not guilty of murder for arbitrary reasons (a judgment call, if you will), and NOT because there is a clear text of law that sides with Pistorious in this case, or the evidence he showed (or the evidence the prosecution failed to show).

Since it was not a jury trial, it was always going to be a "judge call" as you say.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
nehmeth said:

Shoot, brother, I think there was a lot proven - and admitted - in this trial...

That's why we aren't judges. Take away the media hype, the 24/7 coverage, the discussion of each new bit of information whether evidentiary or by testimony your determination might change. It might not.

I did not follow the Casey Anthony trial closely. I heard the evidence, heard the prosecutions arguments and told my friends they'd never find her guilty. Did I stir a hornet's nest! Everyone was sure the prosecution had proven their case, that the "evidence" was more than circumstantial. Casey Anthony was found not guilty. Personally, I thought she was guilty, but the prosecution did not make it's case even though the media backed them 110%.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of media adjudicating trials outside the courtroom.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I know what you're saying but - we have his story, and all the rest of it. It's not only the media, it's from his own mouth. I know, legalities get weighed by certain measures, but still, I don't see anything that suggests he DIDN'T intend to kill her. Everything suggests he did.

However, did he plot and scheme this for weeks in advance? I doubt it. Nobody could plan the perfect murder to look like that bloody mess. I think it was in a fit of jealous rage. My main gripe is how the judge says he couldn't have known he'd kill her if he blasted a gun at a bathroom door... :cover

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Pistorius out on bail, and could only face a fine? The judge said she believed he thought there was an intruder? :mad:

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
Pistorius out on bail, and could only face a fine? The judge said she believed he thought there was an intruder? :mad:

Guilty of culpable homicide, I am assuming something like manslaughter here. Let's say a bit more than a slap on the wrist, but nowhere near enough from what I see. Of course, what I see is irrelevant...

There is no minimum time to serve, maximum is 15 years. Who knows what the judge will pick...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

Guilty of culpable homicide, I am assuming something like manslaughter here. Let's say a bit more than a slap on the wrist, but nowhere near enough from what I see. Of course, what I see is irrelevant...

There is no minimum time to serve, maximum is 15 years. Who knows what the judge will pick...

She can pick a fine, or a suspended sentence, too.

The man was chatting to Reeva minutes before he shot her. His story is not credible. It's literally incredible. But not even his story is an incredible as the judges utterances these last two days... :nono

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, Mi Lady ruled that Oscar is guilty of culpable homicide. Its again up to the judge's discretion to rule on a fine plus a suspended sentence or 15 years in jail.. We shall see if he serves any time.. I would assume that the prosecution would appeal the not gulity of murder in yesterday's decison.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's kind of crazy to me that they could let him out on bail AFTER being convicted of a crime that could see him imprisoned for 15 years. Given who he is it'd be very difficult for him to flee the country but there is still quite the incentive no?

Given what we've heard "My Lady" say I'm guessing he will get a light sentence at most. Something like 2 years and he'll be out in 6 months or something ridiculous. I hope the judge becomes Oscar's next girlfriend, it's only right after this hero worship.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
It's kind of crazy to me that they could let him out on bail AFTER being convicted of a crime that could see him imprisoned for 15 years. Given who he is it'd be very difficult for him to flee the country but there is still quite the incentive no?

Given what we've heard "My Lady" say I'm guessing he will get a light sentence at most. Something like 2 years and he'll be out in 6 months or something ridiculous. I hope the judge becomes Oscar's next girlfriend, it's only right after this hero worship.

:snigger:laydownlaughing

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Given who he is it'd be very difficult for him to flee the country but there is still quite the incentive no?

He could flee into Zimbabwe. Robert Mugabe would be happy to see him. And he probably would get the justice you think he deserves.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is dragging on a bit, eh? And I have an even further sinking sensation that the climax will make me vomit...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently his shrink says he is such a broken man. Poor poor Oscar, and she recommends just a few years of house arrest. I too have a bad feeling "My Lady" will bite on that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Apparently his shrink says he is such a broken man. Poor poor Oscar, and she recommends just a few years of house arrest. I too have a bad feeling "My Lady" will bite on that.

I think they should lock him in a restroom and let Rebecca loves each take turns shooting into it (first with blanks and then live rounds).. We will then see just how "broken" that asshole is

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is another trial within the trial, with both sides still calling witnesses. The SA system of justice is alien to me. Today, the defence argued that "Pistorius should not be put behind bars because the facilities are too violent and poorly equipped to cater for the athlete's disabilities.

Appearing as a defence witness in the sentencing hearing, she suggested the athlete would be vulnerable to gang rape and would have to walk on his stumps on slippery shower floors."

A great argument for letting him get away with murder and serve his time in a fancy restaurant. Disabled villains through SA are licking their chops in anticipation of being let off because although they rip a body to pieces with bullets, they shouldn't go to prison because that actually be like a punishment to them... :nono

tented

Administrator
Reactions
They must have prisons which could accommodate his atypical physiology. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to throw him into an environment in which he doesn't stand a chance. (Oops! :snigger) But it wouldn't be right to let him go free, either.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackandfield/story/_/id/11704457/reeva-steenkamp-parents-not-pursue-civil-claim-oscar-pistorius

This poor family just didnt have the financial backing to battle that clown in court.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That money thing is odd, isn't it? Why were they taking such puny sums from him?