Oscar Pistorius Trial

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Anyone been following this? I have a bad feeling the crybaby is going to get off. Though I don't buy his story for a second I suppose there is at least some question as to whether the ridiculous story is true. But then I'm not sure the rules in South Africa regarding standard of evidence. Is it beyond a reasonable doubt?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it's a despicable act too, Darth. It seems so open and shut, but we have this whole insulting charade of Poor Oscar, can't sleep any more. I admire the restraint of Reeva's family, having to sit through this ugly business... :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
I think it's a despicable act too, Darth. It seems so open and shut, but we have this whole insulting charade of Poor Oscar, can't sleep any more. I admire the restraint of Reeva's family, having to sit through this ugly business... :nono

Yeah the question for the jury really seems like it will come down to whether or not it is possible for someone to be as stupid/reckless as Oscar is claiming he was. It also remains to be seen if the neighbors' testimony will factor in that screams were heard just BEFORE shots were fired. Apparently poor old Oscar also screams like a woman according to the defense. The guy is just an all-around victim.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Is the judge in this trial also the jury? They just have to impress the judge, isn't it?

I think his story was absolutely implausible from the start, then I saw diagrams of the bedroom/bathroom, and it made it even more unbelievable to me that he entered that bathroom thinking it was a burglar, and not Reeva. I just don't see how he couldn't know it was her. It appears to me to be a pure crime of rage, and perhaps an escalation of a domestic row between them that didn't just start that evening...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
From the few stories and texts we have heard it is pretty clear this guy was a loose cannon and a jealous one at that. Things probably escalated and a jealous man who loves to fire guns...2+2. But none of this is proof. Prosecution has to prove it is murder and that's where I think the monster might walk. Common sense dictates the guy is guilty as hell but you need more than that to convict him. That's why the neighbors' testimony might be the only way they get him unless some other evidence comes to the surface.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Well, he'll have to do some time, I mean, it's beyond question that he killed her...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Well, he'll have to do some time, I mean, it's beyond question that he killed her...

Yeah, but significantly less. I guess he won't be completely off the hook at least.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Anyone been following this? I have a bad feeling the crybaby is going to get off. Though I don't buy his story for a second I suppose there is at least some question as to whether the ridiculous story is true. But then I'm not sure the rules in South Africa regarding standard of evidence. Is it beyond a reasonable doubt?

If this case was being tried in the state of Florida, Oscar would walk or blade away easily (no pun intended). I wouldn’t be surprised if the Magistrate gets paid off. However, it’s obvious that Oscar is bipolar but that poor beautiful young lady was blasted off this planet by that fool is truly just Wrong!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

If this case was being tried in the state of Florida, Oscar would walk or blade away easily (no pun intended). I wouldn’t be surprised if the Magistrate gets paid off. However, it’s obvious that Oscar is bipolar but that poor beautiful young lady was blasted off this planet by that fool is truly just Wrong!

I agree with AP that in Florida, or most of the states he would walk because "beyond a reasonable doubt" has been replaced with " Beyond any doubt" long time ago...You plant a tiny seed in the jurors mind and it is an acquittal.

As for this case, he looks guilty as hell to me . His story is just not making sense to me at any level.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Is the judge in this trial also the jury? They just have to impress the judge, isn't it?

Yes, it's not a jury in South Africa. It's all presented to a judge, who decides it himself.

I think his story was absolutely implausible from the start, then I saw diagrams of the bedroom/bathroom, and it made it even more unbelievable to me that he entered that bathroom thinking it was a burglar, and not Reeva. I just don't see how he couldn't know it was her. It appears to me to be a pure crime of rage, and perhaps an escalation of a domestic row between them that didn't just start that evening...

That's my interpretation as well. He made up this ridiculous story about a burglar climbing through his bathroom window ("She came in through the bathroom window ..."), but come on ... we all know that's not what really happened.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
how long is this trial supposed to last ?.

its a bit tedious turning the radio/tv off everytime it pops up.. which it all the time.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think it was scheduled to last a few weeks, but obviously they're taking longer.

If he was black, it would have been over in less than 10 minutes...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
^ OJ Simpson might disagree.

OJ was rich, but your point is taken. Another showboat trial. It's a good system, that a suspect has their day in court, it's right and it's the only way justice can be done, and seen to be done, but when I look at this one, my mind keeps yelling, "charade!" I just hope the judge isn't fooled. If Reeva was my sister, I'd have been hauled out of that chamber long ago...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Okay, I watched about ten minutes this afternoon, the first bits of the trial I saw. A couple of things struck me. Pistorius was testifying. I suppose these are particularities of South African courtrooms.

Firstly, when Pistorius replied to the (male) prosecutor, he said, "My lady", addressing the judge directly. I wonder if this is common.

Second, he read out whole huge scripts of stuff about fans being moved and mobile phones being tampered with, which the prosecutor pulled him up on, saying that OP was reciting rehearsed answers, trying to get these things on record, while evading the questions.

Thirdly, both the prosecuting and defence lawyers more or less testified during this question period. What I mean is, rather than be brief and concise, they were both allowed to give long rambling speeches, the defence lawyer as an explanation of a point of the defence, and the prosecutor during his own questioning. There seemed to be no cries of "objection, leading the witness", etc.

The thing that most flabbergasted me was the digression (necessary, I'm sure) to explain how the scene was tampered with (the word "tamper" had to be defined for OP), and how the judge allowed all these rambling conversations. Surely, the only important question is, what was OP's motive in firing a gun through his bathroom door? It was obviously to kill someone, but who?

It's a totally different style of justice than I've seen in the west...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Now he is saying that he "accidentally" fired. His case is getting weaker and weaker.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He said that? How many times did he accidentally fire? :nono

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wonder if there isn't a clinical condition to describe OP< that goes beyond "murderer, killer, crazy dude": he's now claiming that the shooting must have been an accident because...his finger wasn't on the trigger... :nono

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Even the late Ray Charles can see the truth about this case. One thing that's very striking.. why would a bugular lock himself inside of the restroom

Judge for yourself

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/28/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-trial-interactive/index.html?iid=article_sidebar