Oscar Pistorius Trial

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the vid, A-P. Surely then, the height of the bullet holes in the bathroom door would tell if he was on his prosthetics or not?

And why was the toilet door locked? Anybody here live with someone? If so, do either of you lock the toilet door when you get up during the night for a pitstop? :nono

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Kieran said:
Thanks for the vid, A-P. Surely then, the height of the bullet holes in the bathroom door would tell if he was on his prosthetics or not?

And why was the toilet door locked? Anybody here live with someone? If so, do either of you lock the toilet door when you get up during the night for a pitstop? :nono

The door was locked because the poor girl probably tried to barricade herself , trying to hide from OP.:nono

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

The door was locked because the poor girl probably tried to barricade herself , trying to hide from OP.:nono

Sadly, I think you're right. We can only imagine how scared she must have been.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
1972Murat said:
Kieran said:

Sadly, I think you're right. We can only imagine how scared she must have been.

Agreed, I truly hope the prosecution echo this same sentiments

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Prosecution guy seems tough, right?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think the locked bathroom means too much as the defense can easily argue that it could be normal for someone to lock the bathroom door just out of habit. Now if it was murder then chances are she did in fact lock herself in there to barricade the door but I don't think the locked door proves much.

One of the parts of his story that sticks out to me is that when he apparently woke up she asked if he was alright (meaning she too was awake). Then he opened the window, came back to bed and that is supposedly the time he heard something in the bathroom. It seems even more ridiculous that he wouldn't check to see if it was Reeva given that she had just been awake 5-10 minutes before.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, that's the new thing to me, Darth. He said he went to take in fans, and he spoke to her, then heard a door slam and reached for the gun. How incredible is it that he's shouting at an intruder in the bathroom, and Reeva doesn't pipe up?

He says it's because she was scared. Well, that's about the only true thing he's probably said all day...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He seems to be a pathological liar and likely egomaniac. I just read an article that he mentioned a supposed incident 5-6 years ago where someone supposedly shot at him on a highway (to show why he is soooo afraid that people are out to kill him). He then got off the highway and called someone to come pick him up. When the prosecutor asked who picked him up he suddenly doesn't remember. His testimony is hurting his case which is excellent...dude's guilty as hell.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched a bit again today, the prosecutor is sharp, a tough nut, asking all the right questions, and not letting him away with anything. It's a different format than American courts, isn't it? They're allowed to ramble with their thoughts a bit more, both the lawyers and witness...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I don't think the locked bathroom means too much as the defense can easily argue that it could be normal for someone to lock the bathroom door just out of habit. Now if it was murder then chances are she did in fact lock herself in there to barricade the door but I don't think the locked door proves much.

One of the parts of his story that sticks out to me is that when he apparently woke up she asked if he was alright (meaning she too was awake). Then he opened the window, came back to bed and that is supposedly the time he heard something in the bathroom. It seems even more ridiculous that he wouldn't check to see if it was Reeva given that she had just been awake 5-10 minutes before.

I don't think the locked bathroom means too much as the defense can easily argue that it could be normal for someone to lock the bathroom door just out of habit. are you saying that it is normal for an intruder to climb through a window and lock themselves into a stranger's bathroom

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

I don't think the locked bathroom means too much as the defense can easily argue that it could be normal for someone to lock the bathroom door just out of habit. are you saying that it is normal for an intruder to climb through a window and lock themselves into a stranger's bathroom

Ha ha... maybe they were caught short and wanted a little privacy. You've got to go when you've got to go...

Seriously, I agree - the whole defence is ridiculous. Virtually nothing adds up and the whole affair is a circus.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

Of course not but Oscar will simply say that he didn't try to open the door and therefore didn't know it was locked until after he opened fire. The only thing the prosecution could bring up there is that the locked door proves that there was an argument and she locked the door to keep him away but I don't think you can necessarily say that's the case. Using any kind of common sense it seems like he is as guilty as can be but has he raised enough doubt is the question.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Of course not but Oscar will simply say that he didn't try to open the door and therefore didn't know it was locked until after he opened fire. The only thing the prosecution could bring up there is that the locked door proves that there was an argument and she locked the door to keep him away but I don't think you can necessarily say that's the case. Using any kind of common sense it seems like he is as guilty as can be but has he raised enough doubt is the question.

Well, that's his task, and of course, he's been "tailoring the evidence" in a clumsy fashion, but in this matter, it comes down to his word,and whether or not it's credible. Obviously, to any sane person, he's totally incredible, and I'm not just saying that to be nasty, or because I think it's an absolute waste of time and money putting him on trial because a blind man with a dead guide dog could see that he's guilty. He says things which simply don't make sense to anybody. So in the matter of whether or not he's raising doubts, he may be, but they'd only be doubts about his sanity...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've seen the defense's arguments, and I'm afraid Oscar doesn't have much of a leg to stand on...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

Well, that's his task, and of course, he's been "tailoring the evidence" in a clumsy fashion, but in this matter, it comes down to his word,and whether or not it's credible. Obviously, to any sane person, he's totally incredible, and I'm not just saying that to be nasty, or because I think it's an absolute waste of time and money putting him on trial because a blind man with a dead guide dog could see that he's guilty. He says things which simply don't make sense to anybody. So in the matter of whether or not he's raising doubts, he may be, but they'd only be doubts about his sanity...

I'm curious how this will play out. In the US, celebrity trials are a show. An annoying formality, they would say, but the outcome is predictable in the post-OJ era.

I do wonder, however, if OP is found guilty, will a special provision be made because of his physical limitations?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

I'm curious how this will play out. In the US, celebrity trials are a show. An annoying formality, they would say, but the outcome is predictable in the post-OJ era.

I do wonder, however, if OP is found guilty, will a special provision be made because of his physical limitations?

He'll play the victim card, to get a lesser sentence? I don't know. The judge may have to take into account the way he pleaded and the length of time and expense he's put everybody through, his total disdain for the real victim and her family, and conclude that this is a guy who's ego is way off the scale and who deserves an even stronger sentence.

I watched more highlights just now and his inability to keep his story straight actually make the whole thing ridiculous. Come the end of it all, he might regret not pleading guilty at the start...

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Come on, who among us have not shot our fiancees through a bathroom door mistaking them for an intruder in the middle of the night ??? :snigger...Ok, bad joke , moving on...

I am actually glad this will be the judge's decision in this case. (am I right? Just the judge). Because if you had 12 jurors of his peers, it would be possible to plant doubt and one or two jurors would probably buy his story and you know the rest...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the judge is assisted by two assessors.

The prosecutor went all out to portray OP as a liar last week, and was very successful. I wonder what'll happen tomorrow.

How long is the case expected to last?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Very interesting. This part here is typical Pistorius-speak:

'He considered Steenkamp to be the “love of his life,” that he was “besotted” with her, and that he had planned to buy a house for them, despite telling a South African newspaper one month before the shooting that he was “not ready for anything serious.”'

The guy is slippery. I read with horror yesterday where Ney goaded him, asking who should we blame for Reeva's death, and Pistorius still wriggled and insisted he shouldn't be blamed. He's a narcissist and spoilt brat of an incredible order, He reminds me of when I was about seven years old and the teacher would ask, "where's your homework?"

"I don't know, my lady."

"Did you do your homework?"

"Yes, my lady."

"So where is it?"

"I don't know, my lady."

"Did the dog eat your homework?"

"Yes, my lady," accompanied by a pathetic sobbing cry.

"But you just said you don't know where your homework is."

"I didn't, my lady. The dog ate my homework." More tears.

"What's your dog's name?"

"I don't know, my lady."

"Do you even have a dog?"

"I don't know, my lady."

It's really as bad and useless a defence as that... :nono