12. Jessica Pegula
13. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
14. Coco Gauff
15. Victoria Azarenka
16. Elena Rybakina
17. Leylah Fernandez

CqgYrmC.jpg

The Tournament:

The Madrid Open (Spanish: Masters de Madrid), currently sponsored by Mutua Madrileña and known as the Mutua Madrid Open, is a joint men's and women's professional tennis tournament, held in Madrid, during early May. The clay-court event is classified as an ATP Tour Masters 1000 on the ATP Tour and a WTA 1000 event on the WTA Tour. In the past, it has also been known as the Madrid Masters. The tournament is traditionally played on a red clay surface. The event was played on blue courts in the 2012 tournament edition, with the ATP deciding against blue thereafter.

Ion Țiriac, a Romanian billionaire businessman and former ATP professional, was the owner of the tournament between 2009 and 2021. According to Digi Sport which interviewed Țiriac in 2019, the tournament brings to the city of Madrid annual benefits exceeding €107 million. In 2021, Țiriac sold the tournament to New York–based giants IMG for approximately $283 Million.

About Madrid:

Madrid is the capital and most populous city of Spain. The city has almost 3.4 million[8] inhabitants and a metropolitan area population of approximately 6.7 million. It is the second-largest city in the European Union (EU), surpassed only by Berlin in its administrative limits, and its monocentric metropolitan area is the second-largest in the EU, surpassed only by Paris. The municipality covers 604.3 km2 (233.3 sq mi) geographical area.

Madrid lies on the River Manzanares in the central part of the Iberian Peninsula. Capital city of both Spain (almost without interruption since 1561) and the surrounding autonomous community of Madrid (since 1983), it is also the political, economic and cultural centre of the country. The city is situated on an elevated plain about 300 kilometres (190 mi) from the closest seaside location. Seasonal differences are large by Iberian standards with hot summers and cool winters. The mayor is José Luis Martínez-Almeida from the People's Party.
1280px-Gran_Vía_(Madrid)_1.jpg

1280px-Plaza_Mayor_de_Madrid_06.jpg

Tourism Guide:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Sabalenka with her loss today, seeing she was the defending champion, in Madrid,will lose 1000 points and will drop 'at least' to No 7 in the world

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I don't know how many members are watching live matches but I have to say the Pegula-Giorgi match had so much drama. Disappointed to see Camilla go from 5-2 in the final set to losing 7-5. Good for Pegula to hold her nerve, over two hours of uneven play from Giorgi and in the end it cost her the match.:astonished-face:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't know how many members are watching live matches but I have to say the Pegula-Giorgi match had so much drama. Disappointed to see Camilla go from 5-2 in the final set to losing 7-5. Good for Pegula to hold her nerve, over two hours of uneven play from Giorgi and in the end it cost her the match.:astonished-face:
I really wish Camilla would get another coach than her father?though I cannot see that happening anytime soon, she seems to have a very close relationship with him,she needs to learn to have more 'control' on her shots on a court.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Highlight for me was seeing the umpire Kader Nouni aka The Voice singing in his chair before the Muguruza v Tomljanovic match :)

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The only seed defeated today was A.Pavlyuchenkova (13) by S.Sorribes Tormo in 3 sets 36 62 63....seeing Pavs has just come back to the tour after having a surgical procedure on her knee,I will give her a pass.

Ellentonboy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I really wish Camilla would get another coach than her father?though I cannot see that happening anytime soon, she seems to have a very close relationship with him,she needs to learn to have more 'control' on her shots on a court.
People have been saying that for years. I often wonder if she fired him and went with someone else where her career would be today. There have been times when they bought in another "voice", especially to help with her serve, and it has paid dividends. But there is really no reason to blow a 5-2 final set lead, I think some of the issues are lack of confidence. This isn't the first time, and it won't be the last, that Camilla has lost a match like this. So close to the finish line, yet she can't seem to cross it. Really sad.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In their first meeting,it was a great overall performance from Simone Halep, even if Paula Badosa was not fully fit, ( Paula had the trainer out after the 2nd set, a right shoulder problem)
Halep d Badosa (2) 63 61

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Round of 16, ( lower half),
Alexandrova v Bouzkova
Azarenka v Anisimova
Jabeur (8) v Bencic (11)
Gauff (14) v Halep

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Bebe looked great earlier. Probably the best match I've seen her play since 2019. She thoroughly clowned the annoyingly loud Collins. Lil Bit goes down in straights. I think she's in a funk since winning that Monterrey title. Emma came through in straights, Mugu goes down in flames to Kalinina. Naomi has her hands full w/ Tormo and the Goddess vs Daria is going to a decider.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If there is one player I would not like to meet, if I was carrying a calf injury it would be SST who has won the 1st set 63 over Naomi Osaka ( Osaka has a tape on her lower leg)

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Osaka has started with her whining..it will end in tears as usual