Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2022 - Masters 1000

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I going to give this a bump from the WTA thread.

He cant win matches because he is afraid of being injured again. Dominic needs his weapons, big serve, big FH, big BH which is how he breaks down his opponents. When all of this is clicking, Dominic's feet are moving as well as anyone in the top ten. Otherwise, he is just been reduced to be a glorified practice partner. This is why I wanted him to go train with Rafa at the Nadal academy to regain his form. It will come back but it will take time just as Andy told him afterwards their match. Trust his body will build his confidence to want to grind again to win. I agree with what you said earlier, try some lesser tournaments before facing the gladiators in the master series level. IMO
What is it Rafa says, “ trust the process” ? Put in the rehab and hard work and it will come as long as you continue to just believe in your abilities. Rafa gave an interesting pretournament interview in Madrid where he said essentially he couldn't afford to reflect or bask on previous victories, he needed to concentrate on the here and now. So his focus was recovering on his most recent injury. Call it elastic brain just for the present.

I can't see how Thiem hasn't put up the hardwork. So with Dominnic IMO it's probably more mental than anything at this point. Unfortunately there is never a guarantee a person after a long hiatus will ever recover their complete competitive "killer edge: (WTA's Monica Seles never did and yes hers is a special case). Sans a new injury, If by the fall he's not back to his winning ways I would start to get worried.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What a start for Andrew Murray leads Shapo 61...1 all 2nd set
Somewhere Fiero425 is smiling:)

Reactions: tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope the emulation doesn't go too far! I want to like the kid but having problems w/ his manner on the court! I don't fist pump UFE''s & DF's! :angry-face:
Dont be too harsh I think this is a 'youngster thing' Sinner also fist pumps, it is more pumping themselves up than anything

Reactions: Fiero425

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’m enjoying watching Alcaraz, but unfortunately it means Tennis Channel isn’t showing Murray/Shapovalov.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have to SB for Murray's match as it has changed to Alcaraz match
Shapo leading 4-2 set 2nd
Shapo wins the 2nd set 63.....1 set all
Going 3

Last edited:
Reactions: Fiero425 and tented

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What impressed me with Murray's win was his defence especially in the 3rd set and he has always had good anticipation on the court movement,,which he showed in this match,even with his bionic hip! thankfully after the Alcaraz match I was able to see the last set as they switched back to Murrays match

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After big mouth of Mouratoglou said that he doesn't see Nadal winning this next RG , Moya has reminded him what Nadal has done this year after have been months out of the court and then asking him a little more respect.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
After big mouth of Mouratoglou said that he doesn't see Nadal winning this next RG , Moya has reminded him what Nadal has done this year after have been months out of the court and then asking him a little more respect.

I loove that Moya is doing a little trash talk.

Reactions: tented