Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, 2022 - Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I do not really mind whether or not he takes a break. While I do think it is smart for Alcaraz to take a break (both physically and mentally), it would have been nice for him to play Rome just to see ride the momentum just a little bit.

But, he is winning a lot matches lately, so he has earned the right to get a break from tennis.
I read further and Alcaraz said he could hardly walk has blisters on his feet and also his ankle has swollen, I am glad he withdrew.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is why I want Nadal to win 2022 RG first before Alcaraz wins his 1st GS. The reason I say this is because there's a realistic chance that 2022 RG will be Nadal's last GS title (assuming he wins of course).

Now, he can still win the other three slams, of course, but, like you say, at some point age will strike Nadal and therefore it will be extremely hard for him to win slams.
I hear you and I agree as to RG. It is the font from which all springs for Rafa, and yes, given age and foot and etc., each Major becomes more unknown. I said above that "age strikes," but that's a bit dramatic. For most, age creeps up. The signs are there for Nadal, physically and mentally, and for Novak, too. He hasn't had much play this year, and is looking better, but he certainly didn't just pick up where he left off, as some claim he is capable of. Not as much, anymore. When so much is at stake, and the window is closing, nerves and doubts play a role. See: USO final 2021.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is why I want Nadal to win 2022 RG first before Alcaraz wins his 1st GS. The reason I say this is because there's a realistic chance that 2022 RG will be Nadal's last GS title (assuming he wins of course).

Now, he can still win the other three slams, of course, but, like you say, at some point age will strike Nadal and therefore it will be extremely hard for him to win slams.
That is why , while never say never, I honestly can’t see Federer having any viable path to another Major. Not only do you have a grueling path of rehab and conditioning, but then you have to play several tournaments just to get ready for a Major fort night after having not played in over a year. Those nearly 42 year old knees getting through that ordeal for 2023 Wimbledon? Not likely.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I mean it took five and a half hours and ALL sheer will (and mental strength) from Nadal to defeat Medvedev and capture his 21st Slam (2nd CGS).

The likelihood of that happening again is slim.

It is why it is somewhat for Nadal to capture 2022 RG before his body and Carlos Alcaraz takes him down in slams.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I mean it took five and a half hours and ALL sheer will (and mental strength) from Nadal to defeat Medvedev and capture his 21st Slam (2nd CGS).

It is why it is somewhat for Nadal to capture 2022 RG before his body and Carlos Alcaraz takes him down in slams.
Agree, also as Rafa fans I dont want to go through that 'suffering' again like at the AO this year

Reactions: Fiero425

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
That is why , while never say never, I honestly can’t see Federer having any viable path to another Major. Not only do you have a grueling path of rehab and conditioning, but then you have to play several tournaments just to get ready for a Major fort night after having not played in over a year. Those nearly 42 year old knees getting through that ordeal for 2023 Wimbledon? Not likely.
I think for Federer it is more likely to say goodbye to fans. The path to a slam would require serious perfection and luck. Wimbledon would require a serious serve clinic to happen. I don’t know that he has that in him after these series of surgeries.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I think for Federer it is more likely to say goodbye to fans. The path to a slam would require serious perfection and luck. Wimbledon would require a serious serve clinic to happen. I don’t know that he has that in him after these series of surgeries.
Quite frankly I cannot see Federer playing in 2023, his days of winning slams are over to me.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Greater chance at RG, if needs be, but that is your point. Rafa said something interesting when asked about a rivalry with Alcaraz: he said I won't be in the game long enough for that. In a sense, he's right. And probably Novak, too.

I wonder what Medvedev has been thinking, sitting this portion out and watching Alcaraz's star rise. He can't be too happy. Alcaraz will be a big question mark on grass, still. Medvedev should be a factor if he comes back whole and ready, by Wimbledon. And don't forget Babycakes, Wimby finalist last year, hopefully coming back! (@kskate2) These Next Gen guys who have been meandering around trying to make inroads must be hating this teenager who has just shot himself out of a cannon. Especially the Clown Princes. (with apologies to @Jelenafan)

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Greater chance at RG, if needs be, but that is your point. Rafa said something interesting when asked about a rivalry with Alcaraz: he said I won't be in the game long enough for that. In a sense, he's right. And probably Novak, too.

I wonder what Medvedev has been thinking, sitting this portion out and watching Alcaraz's star rise. He can't be too happy. Alcaraz will be a big question mark on grass, still. Medvedev should be a factor if he comes back whole and ready, by Wimbledon. And don't forget Babycakes, Wimby finalist last year, hopefully coming back! (@kskate2) These Next Gen guys who have been meandering around trying to make inroads must be hating this teenager who has just shot himself out of a cannon. Especially the Clown Princes. (with apologies to @Jelenafan)
I would not say he would not be too happy. With everything that is happening around him (injuries, war), I do not think he is thinking about Alcaraz's rise too much.

I do think it will motivate him to do well in the US summer hard courts and Indoor fall season.

One thing about Medvedev, he does rise on the occasion better than Tsitsipas and Zverev against top players, at least on HCs.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would not say he would not be too happy. With everything that is happening around him (injuries, war), I do not think he is thinking about Alcaraz's rise too much.

I do think it will motivate him to do well in the US summer hard courts and Indoor fall season.

One thing about Medvedev, he does rise on the occasion better than Tsitsipas and Zverev against top players, at least on HCs.
While I agree that Meddie has plenty on his mind, with war and big issues, and Wimbledon still being a question, I have to think he's competitive enough to be frustrated to see a new star ascendant and not get to compete against him, right now. That's just my opinion. I totally agree he's a much better player/competitor than Tsitsipas and Zverev, and he'll come back. I still hope Wimbledon changes its decision about Russian and Belarussian players participating.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions

Not sure why. you say "probably Novak too". Although only a year younger, Novak's in much better shape/doesn't have chronic issues like Rafa's foot....

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Not sure why. you say "probably Novak too". Although only a year younger, Novak's in much better shape/doesn't have chronic issues like Rafa's foot....
Age gets everyone even if you are fit. It doesn’t get easier in sports the older you get. Novak has always been more susceptible to random pick offs than Rafa or Federer ever were.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree with what @Sundaymorningguy says above. Also, as I said above, nerves and pressure come into it. No, he doesn't have as many chronic issues as Rafa does, but he has had elbow and shoulder issues, and recently again fitness ones. No matter how much everyone says he's so fit, time will come for him, and it seems to be. He is not coming back this year guns blazing as everyone keeps saying he can. It's taking time for him, and he's more susceptible to the on/off days than he was. That's age. And pressure.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Medvedev has been training on clay his least fav surface....before he enters Genova tournament with a WC, agree he should do well on the HC and indoor fall season

Last edited: