Miami Open, Miami, FL, 2024 - ATP Masters 1000

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done Jannik that was a great match from the start to the end, not letting Meddy into the match 61 62
Back in the final at Miami, if you win the title you will surpass Alcaraz as the No 2 player
Forza Jannik!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He took Medvedev to the woodshed. They said this score equals the worst losses of Daniil's career. I remember the final v. Rafa at Roger's Cup in 2019. The other v. Dolgopolov, so a long time ago.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well done Jannik that was a great match from the start to the end, not letting Meddy into the match 61 62
Back in the final at Miami, if you win the title you will surpass Alcaraz as the No 2 player
Forza Jannik!
The best player so far this year is Sinner, for sure. I see the #1 coming this year.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The best player so far this year is Sinner, for sure. I see the #1 coming this year.
He has been the best player so far this year, still a long way to go, I would love him to win the title in Miami, first things first :), he can become No 2 if he wins the title

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yup, me too. I'm still kicking myself (sorta) for not sticking with my gut, in the rankings competition. I balked last second and changed #1 to Alcaraz.

Ultimate Tennis Statistics hasn't updated their Elo rating all year, but Sinner's definitely surged past the 2300 level, so into the top 30 all-time. Tennis Abstract his him #1 in Elo at 2240 (their number is about 100 points lower than UTS), which is higher than Alcaraz's best.

I'm also remembering how I shared a chart comparing Jannik's and Roger's Elo rating through their careers, and how closely Jannik mirrored Roger's rise. Here are a few charts, taken from UTS (so only through 2023):

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 5.50.25 PM.png

So now Jannik is a bit over halfway to 23 and probably around 2350 now, so he's really closely following Roger's path. Will be interesting to see high he goes.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yup, me too. I'm still kicking myself (sorta) for not sticking with my gut, in the rankings competition. I balked last second and changed #1 to Alcaraz.

Ultimate Tennis Statistics hasn't updated their Elo rating all year, but Sinner's definitely surged past the 2300 level, so into the top 30 all-time. Tennis Abstract his him #1 in Elo at 2240 (their number is about 100 points lower than UTS), which is higher than Alcaraz's best.

I'm also remembering how I shared a chart comparing Jannik's and Roger's Elo rating through their careers, and how closely Jannik mirrored Roger's rise. Here are a few charts, taken from UTS (so only through 2023):

View attachment 9372

So now Jannik is a bit over halfway to 23 and probably around 2350 now, so he's really closely following Roger's path. Will be interesting to see high he goes.
I already forgot who I picked, but probably Alcaraz.

I'm not sure when you say "how high he goes," if you mean tennis level or numbers, or both, but I definitely feel that Sinner is still improving his tennis.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I already forgot who I picked, but probably Alcaraz.

I'm not sure when you say "how high he goes," if you mean tennis level or numbers, or both, but I definitely feel that Sinner is still improving his tennis.
I was talking about Elo as a representation of his tennis level (the chart). Elo as "consistent level of play over a recent period of time." I emphasize consistency, because Elo likes players such as Ferrer more than Wawrinka, because Ferrer was better in terms of his consistent level. Stanimal was so up and down - the best player in the world for a match or tournament, than just a #10-20 guy for months on end.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I was talking about Elo as a representation of his tennis level (the chart). Elo as "consistent level of play over a recent period of time." I emphasize consistency, because Elo likes players such as Ferrer more than Wawrinka, because Ferrer was better in terms of his consistent level. Stanimal was so up and down - the best player in the world for a match or tournament, than just a #10-20 guy for months on end.
But isn't it more interesting how high his tennis talent goes?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tight first set, but Sasha gives up the UFEs, and Dimitrov takes the first set. I don't always root for Dimitrov, but I am here.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tight first set, but Sasha gives up the UFEs, and Dimitrov takes the first set. I don't always root for Dimitrov, but I am here.
Looked like pressure got to Zverev, in that game, Dimi takes the 1st set 64, Dimi does have a 'high risk game', everything has to be 'on song' or else

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
OMG, Courier eulogizing Dimitrov on TC. He says he's got nothing to regret, only that he fell into an era of ATGs. IMO, this is BS. He was barely in the conversation, and he should have been. He didn't just lose to the Big 3/4, right?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
OMG, Courier eulogizing Dimitrov on TC. He says he's got nothing to regret, only that he fell into an era of ATGs. IMO, this is BS. He was barely in the conversation, and he should have been. He didn't just lose to the Big 3/4, right?
Courier needs look at the stats before he opens his mouth right? I usually mute him when he is on a match, he is 'soo full of himself"
Serena in the house BTW to watch Dimi

Reactions: AnonymousFan

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
But isn't it more interesting how high his tennis talent goes?
I'm going to gently roll my eyes here. Of course. What gave you the impression that I would think otherwise? Stats don't inhabit that - they just give us something to balance our subjective impressions with.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm going to gently roll my eyes here. Of course. What gave you the impression that I would think otherwise? Stats don't inhabit that - they just give us something to balance our subjective impressions with.
I'm going to hard roll my eyes because you started talking again about the ELO and Ferrer and Wawrinka. I'm sort of just trying to talk about Sinner. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: PhiEaglesfan712

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rubber hitting the road here. Heading for a TB?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dimitrov holds to love, with the ace, for 6-5.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dimi better be careful he really played well to be in this position.

Reactions: Moxie