Miami Open, Miami, FL, 2024 - ATP Masters 1000

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Charly misses the chance to have the Sunshine Double
Well played match from Dimi his bhand and drop shots were on fire in this match
Just like we were saying on the women's side. Sunshine doub is difficult to pull off.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just like we were saying on the women's side. Sunshine doub is difficult to pull off.
Indeed, I am not making excuses for Charly, the courts in Miami I feel are not suited to him, not like at IW, though Dimi deserved his win, too good tonight

Reactions: kskate2

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
And that's what I was referring to earlier. He'll take out Chuck but will bow down in the next round, be it SF or F. I would be very surprised if he can tame Zed.
Yep it is the same old story, I am afraid

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And that's what I was referring to earlier. He'll take out Chuck but will bow down in the next round, be it SF or F. I would be very surprised if he can tame Zed.
Gawd, I hope you're wrong. I hope he plays like this v. Zverev. He was absolutely on song, for sure.

Reactions: tossip

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it just me, or is Dimitrov playing some of the best tennis of his career the last half year or so? He kind of went AWOL after his career year in 2017, but has really turned it up the last half year or so.
He certainly was today. A bit like Monfils. Curious to see what they can do with this late-career commitment.

Reactions: don_fabio

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Gawd, I hope you're wrong. I hope he plays like this v. Zverev. He was absolutely on song, for sure.
I would be very happy to be proven wrong. Just how many times does that happen around here? :thinking-face:

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would be very happy to be proven wrong. Just how many times does that happen around here? :thinking-face:
Blah, blah...anecdotal. You should play the draw challenge, where the choices become clear. ;)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Order of Play for Friday, March 29, 2024

1711725653848.png

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
He certainly was today. A bit like Monfils. Curious to see what they can do with this late-career commitment.
Yeah, some guys have a late surge, as if they know the end is nigh and want to give it one more shot. I also think of late-career single Slam winners like Ivanisevic, Korda, and Gomez. While I don't think either will win a Slam, the field is more open this year than its been since, I don't know, 2002. Still, it would be a great story and fun to dream on.

Reactions: don_fabio and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, some guys have a late surge, as if they know the end is nigh and want to give it one more shot. I also think of late-career single Slam winners like Ivanisevic, Korda, and Gomez. While I don't think either will win a Slam, the field is more open this year than its been since, I don't know, 2002. Still, it would be a great story and fun to dream on.
I think that some of it is late-maturity, emotionally, for both. Dimitrov definitely seemed to enjoy the trappings of fame without the results, for most of his career. IMO, the nickname Baby Fed never did him any favors, and he seemed to think the emphasis was on "Baby." Monfils seems to have done very well in Svitolina, for life and career. I don't know if it helps him to have another tennis player in his house to help him focus on the game, or even if there's an element of competitiveness that suits him. But yes, as the opportunities dwindle, they both seem more serious. And, it's true that the stiffest competition is basically gone.

Reactions: don_fabio

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I think that some of it is late-maturity, emotionally, for both. Dimitrov definitely seemed to enjoy the trappings of fame without the results, for most of his career. IMO, the nickname Baby Fed never did him any favors, and he seemed to think the emphasis was on "Baby." Monfils seems to have done very well in Svitolina, for life and career. I don't know if it helps him to have another tennis player in his house to help him focus on the game, or even if there's an element of competitiveness that suits him. But yes, as the opportunities dwindle, they both seem more serious. And, it's true that the stiffest competition is basically gone.

"Baby Fed" moniker was & still is warranted since he modeled his game after Roger! Put a mask on them & you couldn't tell them apart; even physically! Federer's more a "bear" w/ chest hair that needs to be blow-dried & styled though! Dimitrov was probably ruined in so many ways very early on w/ expectations, $$$, fame, & women; Maria Sharapova in particular! Like she couldn't sink her claws into a seasoned man, she had to troll the school-yards for a boy! It's amazing he's playing this well so late in his career after being a mere afterthought w/ the rest of the "lost gen!" There's much more in the way of competition w/ kids just outside the top 100 lurking & crazy competitive! Novak found that out a couple weeks ago! I like Grigor's chances to succeed over a very comp. Monfils who tends to break down after a tough win! :astonished-face: :yawningface: :fearful-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Medvedev's game was riddled with errors in the 1st set, 3 W to 12 UFE, Sinner 61 1st set
Lets see how he responds in the 2nd set?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Is it just me, or is Dimitrov playing some of the best tennis of his career the last half year or so? He kind of went AWOL after his career year in 2017, but has really turned it up the last half year or so.
I think the same. His problem is that he has too many ups and downs and struggles to win big matches and finish tournaments with a title.

Reactions: Fiero425