Miami Open, ATP Masters 1000, 2019

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for posting that video of Basel 2002, @Chris Koziarz - I had never seen that. What incredible play.

I cannot believe that a Feddie has not seen it before. It easily makes the cut in various clips such as top 100 shots, top 50 shots of fed etc that are floating on the internet.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
nah.. we're just ordinary dudes that don't have wood chips in our a$$es from sitting on fences all the time :D

...and in the very first move of this championship match Federberg SCORES! He is already leading this final! Can GSM strike back? Stay tuned!

Reactions: Horsa

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I cannot believe that a Feddie has not seen it before. It easily makes the cut in various clips such as top 100 shots, top 50 shots of fed etc that are floating on the internet.

I would go as far as saying that this is most famous/popular from all Federer's points. It is the number 1 in a variety of top X lists, and not only "Federer's" shots list. Also, the commentators in Italian are just priceless:

"incredibile, davvero
da archiviare [??]
impossibile
lui getta la racchetta, e va a casa perchè a questo punto
cosa posso fare se non venire a stringerti la mano e dirti grande signore del tennis [can't undestand] omaggio

questo penso che sia il colpo piu spettacolare
che io abbia mai visto
guardate
ma non è nemmeno immaginabile
...lancia la rachetta
vado a casa
mi ritiro"

In English

"Really incredible
Record stuff
Impossible
He throws the racquet, and goes home, because at this point
what can I do but to come and offer my hand, and say "Great lord of tennis [can't understand] in homage"

This I think is the most spetacular shot I have ever seen
Look
It is not even imaginable
He throws the racquet...
I am going home
I just leave"

Italian speakers please help, two passages there I really can't understand.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think I've seen the point in compilations, but not the entire game.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I would go as far as saying that this is most famous/popular from all Federer's points. It is the number 1 in a variety of top X lists, and not only "Federer's" shots list. Also, the commentators in Italian are just priceless:

"incredibile, davvero
da archiviare [correct]
colpo
impossibile
lui gettare la racchetta, e va a casa perchè a questo punto
cosa posso fare se non venire a stringerti la mano e dirti: "grande signore del tennis a Te rendo omaggio"

questo penso che sia il colpo piu spettacolare
che io abbia mai visto
guardate
ma non è nemmeno immaginabile
E la lancia la rachetta
"vado a casa
mi ritiro"

In English

"Really incredible
To be archived
Impossible shot
He throws the racquet, and goes home, because at this point
what can I do but to come and offer my hand, and say "Great lord of tennis I render you a tribute"

This I think is the most spectacular shot I have ever seen
Look
It is not even imaginable
And the throw of the racquet...
"I am going home
I retire"
Not bad mrzz if Italian is not your language.
I'm not an Italian speaker either, but I have changed my quote inline in bold according to my understanding of the first point commentary.
So together, we came up with a very decent transcript I think.:)

I don't have enough skill no time to transcript the rest but my favourite commentary is in 2nd point:

"Ah no, no, troppo Roger, troppo, troppo, troppo!"

Oh, no, no! Too much, Roger, too much, too much, too much, too much!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Not bad mrzz if Italian is not your language.
I'm not an Italian speaker either, but I have changed my quote inline in bold according to my understanding of the first point commentary.
So together, we came up with a very decent transcript I think.:)

I don't have enough skill no time to transcript the rest but my favourite commentary is in 2nd point:

"Ah no, no, troppo Roger, troppo, troppo, troppo!"

Oh, no, no! Too much, Roger, too much, too much, too much, too much!

"Te rendo".... Argh! Obvious! I lost count how many times I played that and could not get it. (Actually it is "a te rendo...", now that I got it....)

It really is "Lui getta la racchetta" (gettare is the infinitive, getta is in the third person, and that part is audible enough). With these two minor adjustments I guess it is quite good indeed.

And, yes, the part you quoted maybe is the best of all. No doubt the commentary in this video makes it even better.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz