Miami Open, ATP Masters 1000, 2019

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Nole is the best returner in the game by far. Roger is the best returner when it comes to big servers.

Back in the day, that's what I had to do against some "HUGE" serving back in the 70's & 80's! I kicked it back anyway I could just to make them play a low volley or deal with a high lob! People gave me enough free points overplaying my serve, I promised to not do the same for my opponent! That's how Roger OWNED Andy Roddick by just chipping back his serve and making him play! Djokovic's a lot more offensive in his return game and puts the server on his heels right away! They are the epitome of both extremes in the return game! :whistle: :yesyes: :p

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
Joking of course. Federer had the measure of him in that match. Shame that the injury took away the joy of victory from him

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
After three months of play, at the end of first quarter, TMF stands at the top of the ATP race rankings.:drums: If he could maintain the consistency, win at least one slam and the other slams get distributed to different winners, then he has a decent chance of finishing YE #1, especially given that he will get some points in the clay season also this year. :cheerleader:

Reactions: mrzz

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
After three months of play, at the end of first quarter, TMF stands at the top of the ATP race rankings.:drums: If he could maintain the consistency, win at least one slam and the other slams get distributed to different winners, then he has a decent chance of finishing YE #1, especially given that he will get some points in the clay season also this year. :cheerleader:

We always have to go to the extreme don't we? Roger's got a long way to go to even get a sniff of #1! He's just not playing that well! :facepalm:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer winning miami great tournament by him 4th title, hope he has not wasted this super high level for the masters events, looking forward to seeing federer on clay for the first time in 4 years.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer looks better than I've seen him play since at least early 2018. Aside from that lone lost set to Albot in his first match, and moments in which he seemed to lose focus (e.g. the second set vs. Anderson), he was utterly dominant. One of the announcers said it well, echoing what I said earlier, that he looked like he was a chess master, always a few steps ahead of Isner.

Clay season is going to be interesting. I almost wish Roger would play Monte-Carlo, so that he can keep this razor sharp focus. Madrid is five weeks away...rest will help, but I'm worried he'll lose this momentum.

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Federer looks better than I've seen him play since at least early 2018. Aside from that lone lost set to Albot in his first match, and moments in which he seemed to lose focus (e.g. the second set vs. Anderson), he was utterly dominant. One of the announcers said it well, echoing what I said earlier, that he looked like he was a chess master, always a few steps ahead of Isner.

Clay season is going to be interesting. I almost wish Roger would play Monte-Carlo, so that he can keep this razor sharp focus. Madrid is five weeks away...rest will help, but I'm worried he'll lose this momentum.
At his interview with the panel he made it clear that his body needs a well deserved rest. He's played 4 consecutive weeks. He said the clay is a bonus and feeling very relaxed. I think he will do just fine on the clay. Wonder where he will be ranked entering the French?

Reactions: El Dude

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Can someone tell me how good the tour is right now?..........:facepalm:
What a disater of semis and final!!!!:sleep::eek::negative:

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
There is a lot of similarities between Roddick and Isner wrt how Fed owned/owns them. Once Fed was able to block Roddick's serve, poor Andy couldn't do anything against Fed.
Everyone remembers "the best shot (and the best game) ever" in Basel 2002 where Fed completely annihilated Rod's serve and smash by returning it with his own "smash" from the back of the court.
The very similar scenario repeated today 16y on, against Isner. The ball did not fly as high and as long as in that memorable Basel 2002 point but the players' positions and the way Fed won are almost identical:

...and by strange coincidence, the score was also identical against Roddick. Back then, Fed also broke the American in that game to go up 4-1:

I think, if Fed was playing Isner wore often, his H2H record against him would be as dramatic as against Roddick.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Not to be nitpicking, the 2002 Basel shot was a smash by Fed (off a smash by Rod). Today's shot (that you posted) is a running forehand passing shot. Those two are fundamentally different types of shots.
It is a difference of kind and not a mere difference of degree.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There is a lot of similarities between Roddick and Isner wrt how Fed owned/owns them. Once Fed was able to block Roddick's serve, poor Andy couldn't do anything against Fed.
Everyone remembers "the best shot (and the best game) ever" in Basel 2002 where Fed completely annihilated Rod's serve and smash by returning it with his own "smash" from the back of the court.
The very similar scenario repeated today 16y on, against Isner. The ball did not fly as high and as long as in that memorable Basel 2002 point but the players' positions and the way Fed won are almost identical:

...and by strange coincidence, the score was also identical against Roddick. Back then, Fed also broke the American in that game to go up 4-1:

I think, if Fed was playing Isner wore often, his H2H record against him would be as dramatic as against Roddick.

I don’t understand how these two scenarios can be compared

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer is looking good in a cool and calculating way. Watching him live last week against the Medvedev was interesting. He is very much into opening the toolbox and the drop shot and soft bump returns are things the majority of players don’t deal well with for some reason. His sense of where the ball is going is uncanny. He could collect a lot of points playing two or three events on clay, including RG

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer is looking good in a cool and calculating way. Watching him live last week against the Medvedev was interesting. He is very much into opening the toolbox and the drop shot and soft bump returns are things the majority of players don’t deal well with for some reason. His sense of where the ball is going is uncanny. He could collect a lot of points playing two or three events on clay, including RG
I guess he could use that to defend his ranking for Wimbledon, although you would have to believe that even if he's 5 or 6 in the live ranking he'll still get 4 at Wimbledon

Reactions: shawnbm

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess he could use that to defend his ranking for Wimbledon, although you would have to believe that even if he's 5 or 6 in the live ranking he'll still get 4 at Wimbledon

Roger will be the #3 seed at Wimbledon barring a huge surprise. Zverev is less than 500 points ahead of him and has 2,320 points to defend on clay. Thiem is about 800 points behind and has about 2300 points on clay to defend.

Only goal I have for Fed on clay is stay healthy. Playing Madrid, RG and Halle before Wimbledon doesn't really provide a risk of overplaying but clay in general is so much more demanding and presents a greater risk of injury for him.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thanks for posting that video of Basel 2002, @Chris Koziarz - I had never seen that. What incredible play.

I think the similarity is basic and straightforward: Roger neutralized both Roddick's and Isner's greatest weapon. Roddick was a better all-around player than Isner, but both relied upon amazing serves. As @shawnbm pointed out, Roger's ability to see where the ball was going was uncannily prescient.

On a side note, I really miss Roddick on tour - his humor and humility. I wish he'd consider a job in the announcer chair...not sure what he's up to these days, other than enjoying married life with Brooklyn Decker.