Miami Masters 2015 (Women)

faradubii

Futures Player
Reactions
sk310 said:
Just as last year's champions were, I think Halep should take away from this that she's really making inroads. After the way she bombed out at RG in the finals she has to take away positives that she can take Serena Williams to the brink. Now she needs to translate this confidence to the later rounds of slam.s

What's "bombed out"? This is a funny forum I have to say.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
faradubii said:
sk310 said:
Just as last year's champions were, I think Halep should take away from this that she's really making inroads. After the way she bombed out at RG in the finals she has to take away positives that she can take Serena Williams to the brink. Now she needs to translate this confidence to the later rounds of slam.s

What's "bombed out"? This is a funny forum I have to say.

You're right. I was thinking of Wimbledon SF against Bouchard.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was going to say taking Maria to 3 tight sets for her first slam final was nothing to be ashamed of I think I would love it if more ladies had that type of fight in their first slam. RG could get very interesting if Simona holds her form. I am thinking she has a good shot at RG unless Serena proves stubborn. I am wondering if Maria will right herself quickly after her bomb out in Miami. Time and clay will tell quickly. Kvitova will be a main point of interest when she returns.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I was going to say taking Maria to 3 tight sets for her first slam final was nothing to be ashamed of I think I would love it if more ladies had that type of fight in their first slam. RG could get very interesting if Simona holds her form. I am thinking she has a good shot at RG unless Serena proves stubborn. I am wondering if Maria will right herself quickly after her bomb out in Miami. Time and clay will tell quickly. Kvitova will be a main point of interest when she returns.

I feel like Maria's ranking is often based on a few good results during the year. She rarely peaks for more than a month. She also rarely follows up a great slam result with another great slam result the following year. I think she'll win at least one of the clay court warmups but I don't think she will get past the QF of RG. Kvitova, I think we all have love for her but all get frustrated again and again. I kind of hoped Wimbledon 2 for her was a turning point. It doesn't seem to have been. Time will tell on that one.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Calvy said:
special700 said:
kskate2 said:
That goes back to what Calvy was saying. That she's been having panic attacks for awhile
The woman has 19 majors why would she have a panic attack? She has done it all.

Like Chris Evert stated, when she getting older, typically in your thirties, you become more tentative and nervous. You're not as assured every point as you were when you are younger. Martina concurred on with that, and you can even see it in Federer's play as well, and Nadal admitted as much in his press conference after his loss in Miami.

Now, unless you know how it feel to be an aging professional tennis player better than those player's, I think I'll take their word their word that nerves play more of a part when you're nearing closer to the end of ones career.

I think you and I are on the same page about the reasons Serena is being so emotional and nervous these days. I think she will settle down on Saturday and drive the "bus" over CSN

rubydo

Reactions
I saw a good portion of the match, and I agree Simona should take comfort in the way she battled back after a poor first set, and then proceeded to give Serena all she could handle. Entertaining match in my estimation.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
rubydo said:
I saw a good portion of the match, and I agree Simona should take comfort in the way she battled back after a poor first set, and then proceeded to give Serena all she could handle. Entertaining match in my estimation.
I have to respectfully disagree, it wasn't a poor first set for Simona, she was just overwhelmed. Granted, she definitely had fight, but, I'd argue, the tight match was due mire to her opponent considerable drop at moments that she, Serena, was controlling.

freedomsmom

Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Calvy said:
special700 said:
The woman has 19 majors why would she have a panic attack? She has done it all.

Like Chris Evert stated, when she getting older, typically in your thirties, you become more tentative and nervous. You're not as assured every point as you were when you are younger. Martina concurred on with that, and you can even see it in Federer's play as well, and Nadal admitted as much in his press conference after his loss in Miami.

Now, unless you know how it feel to be an aging professional tennis player better than those player's, I think I'll take their word their word that nerves play more of a part when you're nearing closer to the end of ones career.

I think you and I are on the same page about the reasons Serena is being so emotional and nervous these days. I think she will settle down on Saturday and drive the "bus" over CSN

Nadal is 28 years old. Fed never said he has become more nervous and tentative. The idea younger players play every point with assurance is beyond absurd. Simone age 24 did not seem to play every point with assurance. Emotions are akin to being human. Write that down.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
freedomsmom said:
the AntiPusher said:
Calvy said:

Nadal is 28 years old. Fed never said he has become more nervous and tentative. The idea younger players play every point with assurance is beyond absurd. Simone age 24 did not seem to play every point with assurance. Emotions are akin to being human. Write that down.

First, I said typically it happens when player's reach their 30's, not always. Nadal said quite clearly that he get's nervous and tentative more often than he did years passed. As far as Federer, I never wrote he stated he gets nervous and tentative, what i commented was, it's clear he does get nervous and tentative (tight) unlike past years. Simona isn't at the champion level of Serena, Federer and Nadal were at 24, yet, so, no, I would expect her to be as mentally strong as those three, that is what separate champions from 'also rans." Should I write that down for YOU??

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We got exactly the same finals in doubles as in IW.

#1 Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis vs. #2 Makarova and Vesnina.

Hopefully the result will also be the same.

freedomsmom

Reactions
Calvy said:
freedomsmom said:
the AntiPusher said:

First, I said typically it happens when player's reach their 30's, not always. Nadal said quite clearly that he get's nervous and tentative more often than he did years passed. As far as Federer, I never wrote he stated he gets nervous and tentative, what i commented was, it's clear he does get nervous and tentative (tight) unlike past years. Simona isn't at the champion level of Serena, Federer and Nadal were at 24, yet, so, no, I would expect her to be as mentally strong as those three, that is what separate champions from 'also rans." Should I write that down for YOU??

You said younger players play every point with assurance you did not say champions. You seem to have no desire to restate your words accurately. So, no, you do not have to write anything down for me.

I wish I had a dime for the number of times I heard Serena admit she was tight and nervous during Grand Slams and WTA events in the first decade of her champion career. Your use of generalization is not immune to scrutiny.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
i dont think Serena has panic attacks...thats very reckless language.I think she is mostly a perfectionist and wants everything to go her way.Serena has always had a crybaby face for a long time.I bet you Chris Evert nor internet armchair therapists are experts on Serena..only Serena knows what she is going through...the rest is just speculation and should be treated with disgust.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
freedomsmom said:
Calvy said:
freedomsmom said:

You said younger players play every point with assurance you did not say champions. You seem to have no desire to restate your words accurately. So, no, you do not have to write anything down for me.

I wish I had a dime for the number of times I heard Serena admit she was tight and nervous during Grand Slams and WTA events in the first decade of her champion career. Your use of generalization is not immune to scrutiny.

Actually, I was quoting Evert regarding be younger and having more assurance and less tentative, and even stated Martina concurred with that assessment by Evert.

Comprehension is obviously not everyone strong suit.

Also, i didn't generalize, I gave specific individuals, gave actual quotes from past champions and what THEY stated. Now, if you're a past champion and you know better, i stand corrected.

I have a whole bag of dimes here, so, please reference all of those times Serena stated she got nervous and tight in her first decade as champion.....

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
tossip said:
Calvy said:
A two set match that went three hard sets because Serena panic attacks
I agree with you..:cry..she hasnt been very confident since Sascha left..complaing about her rackets..:popcorn.she should bring him back.

tossip said:
i dont think Serena has panic attacks...thats very reckless language.I think she is mostly a perfectionist and wants everything to go her way.Serena has always had a crybaby face for a long time.I bet you Chris Evert nor internet armchair therapists are experts on Serena..only Serena knows what she is going through...the rest is just speculation and should be treated with disgust.

That's funny, because you agreed with me in an earlier reply.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It does make sense when you are younger you have more confidence in your abilities because you have less fear of your body breaking down or you have much more confidence in your athletic ability. However in this case, it made no sense the moments where Serena dropped her game. She won the first set handily and things were a bit even in the second set, but not by much and she drops serve. I am not saying Simona didn't have fight, but Serena dropped the ball at key moments that she shouldn't have because at no time in this match was she ever behind.

I am glad she told herself that she needs to get to net. I feel like this will be the path to easier matches for her. There is no reason why she shouldn't be mixing it up more and coming forward especially behind good first serves. But, she has to get that first serve percentage up first.

freedomsmom

Reactions
Calvy said:
freedomsmom said:
Calvy said:

Actually, I was quoting Evert regarding be younger and having more assurance and less tentative, and even stated Martina concurred with that assessment by Evert.

Also, i didn't generalize, I gave specific individuals, gave actual quotes from past champions and what THEY stated. Now, if you're a past champion and you know better, i stand corrected.

I have a whole bag of dimes here, please references all of those times Serena stated she got nervous and nervous in her first decade as champion.....

I'm waiting!!

You said you were not quoting Fed. Nadal is not thirty something. Nadal never mentioned his nervousness is related to his age. Nadals injury and recovery time away from competition has impacted his level of play. My money is on Nadal's return to form despite what you may believe. Serena admitted she was nervous and tight in the second set. Serena did what she needed to do to win. A fact you chose to ignore.

My ability to comprehend the words you post in this forum is not in dispute.

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
freedomsmom said:
Calvy said:
freedomsmom said:

I have a whole bag of dimes here, please references all of those times Serena stated she got nervous and nervous in her first decade as champion.....

I'm waiting!!

You said you were not quoting Fed. Nadal is not thirty something. Nadal never mentioned his nervousness is related to his age. Nadals injury and recovery time away from competition has impacted his level of play. My money is on Nadal's return to form despite what you may believe. Serena admitted she was nervous and tight in the second set. Serena did what she needed to do to win. A fact you chose to ignore.

Again, I quoted Evert, and I stated as much. I also stated, TYPICALLY, the nerves become more of a factor in the 30's. Hense of the use of the word TYPICALLY.

Typically = normally, but not necessarily always.

Again, I never stated Federer commented that nerves and tentativeness have crept into his game because of age. I stated it was obvious that it has, and it started in his 30's.

Please reference otherwise, if you can.

As far s Nadal, again, I didn't write Nadal commented that age was the reason for more tentative play at certain points in matches. I wrote he stated in a press conference that nerves now happen more often than ever before, and I made the implication it may be due to age and him older.

Oh, I'm still waiting for those Serena reference...

freedomsmom

Reactions
Calvy said:
freedomsmom said:
Calvy said:

I'm waiting!!

Again, I quoted Evert, and I stated as much. I also stated, TYPICALLY, the nerves become more of a factor in the 30's. Hense of the use of the word TYPICALLY.

Typically = normally, but not necessarily always.

Again, I never stated Federer commented that nerves and tentativeness have crept into his game because of age. I stated it was obvious that it has, and it started in his 30's.

Please reference otherwise, if you can.

As far s Nadal, again, I didn't write Nadal commented that age was the reason for more tentative play at certain points in matches. I wrote he stated in a press conference that nerves now happen more often than ever before, and I made the implication it may be due to age and him older.

Oh, I'm still waiting for those Serena reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgdtpBkY_E

Calvy

Masters Champion
Reactions
HMMMMM......2014?!

Didn't know that year was part of "the first decade of her champion career."