Miami Masters 2015 (Women)

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The Miami Masters, the third of the Premier tournaments of the year is going to be held March 23 through April 5th!

Official site

Site: Tennis Center at Crandon Park, Miami, Florida

itau-announcement.ashx

Defending Champion: Serena Williams

857531-f8f507c8-b77c-11e3-8a33-c23c348170ff.jpg

Take the Miami Masters Champions Quiz

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Miami Masters 2015

It is not the third premier mandatory tourney; it is the second premier mandatory tourney.

Only IW, Miami, Madrid and Beijing are mandatory premier tourneys.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

GameSetAndMath said:
It is not the third premier mandatory tourney; it is the second premier mandatory tourney.

Only IW, Miami, Madrid and Beijing are mandatory premier tourneys.

Yeah, you're right. I've been wishing for the WTA to just lump the Premier Mandatory and Premier Five (such snazzy names!) tournaments together and be done with it and I just subconsciously typed it up that way. Will edit.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

pova has a very easy draw...

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions

tossip said:

What else is new. The draw for Serena looks like the same draw at IW. I have to look a little closer to be sure.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

special700 said:
tossip said:

What else is new. The draw for Serena looks like the same draw at IW. I have to look a little closer to be sure.
It's not exactly the same draw. Serena's definitely a little harder this time. Genie, JJ, Vika, Keys and Flavia are all on Serena's side. Last week they were on the other side.

Here's a link to the draw:

http://www.wtatennis.com/singles-draws/tournamentId/837/round/1/rangeStart/1/rangeEnd/16

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions

Vika is near JJ, Penetta, Keys, Safarova. That is a tough draw.

Woz meets Venus in quarters.

Serena may struggle with Niculescu. I hope that knee heals. Good movement is critical when playing the Slicer.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

This is the first year in a long time Miami has kind of paled on the women's side to IW.

For me when the Williams, and especially Serena, wasn't at IW it was kind of like everyone but the best. When you have a pretty firm number 1 not at a tournament its kind of hard to say it's grand slam quality. Now Serena has played IW and comes into Miami questionable. It kind of makes Miami pale for the first time in a while.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

sk310 said:
This is the first year in a long time Miami has kind of paled on the women's side to IW.

For me when the Williams, and especially Serena, wasn't at IW it was kind of like everyone but the best. When you have a pretty firm number 1 not at a tournament its kind of hard to say it's grand slam quality. Now Serena has played IW and comes into Miami questionable. It kind of makes Miami pale for the first time in a while.

Don't worry. Serena will be holding the trophy at the end and establish order again. :cool:

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

Kirijax said:
sk310 said:

Don't worry. Serena will be holding the trophy at the end and establish order again. :cool:

I'd rather Serena keep herself healthy than play through a tournament semi-injured.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions

Vika can't catch a break. She seems to keep getting the toughest quarters. Still I'd say her chances are good. She'll play a tired Jankovic and a Halep. On the bottom half of that quarter are Keys, Stephens, and Bouchard none of which are really surging at the moment despite earlier successes. My favorite scenario would be a Vika v. Bouchard match.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

sk310 said:
Kirijax said:
sk310 said:

I'd rather Serena keep herself healthy than play through a tournament semi-injured.

That's why she dropped out of IW. So she could make sure she would be ready to take the more-important Miami title. :cool:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions

10sfan said:
Vika is near JJ, Penetta, Keys, Safarova. That is a tough draw.

Woz meets Venus in quarters.

Serena may struggle with Niculescu. I hope that knee heals. Good movement is critical when playing the Slicer.
I agree that is a tough draw. Let my clarify my earlier post. Serena had an easier draw in IW. She didn't face a seed until she was to play Halep as all the big guns were on the other side of the draw. And for the record, Maria had the tough draw last week because she got Vika in 3R, but this week Halep gets Vaidisova, Giorgi and Vika in the early rounds, brutal.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions

sk310 said:
Vika can't catch a break. She seems to keep getting the toughest quarters. Still I'd say her chances are good. She'll play a tired Jankovic and a Halep. On the bottom half of that quarter are Keys, Stephens, and Bouchard none of which are really surging at the moment despite earlier successes. My favorite scenario would be a Vika v. Bouchard match.

When you have a low ranking like Vika at #36, there is no place for you to hide in the draw. Until she gets her ranking up, she will be facing very good players in the early rounds.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions

colleen66 said:
sk310 said:

When you have a low ranking like Vika at #36, there is no place for you to hide in the draw. Until she gets her ranking up, she will be facing very good players in the early rounds.

True...and this angst goes both ways...the very good players don't want to meet Vika early either:D

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

golds girl said:
colleen66 said:
sk310 said:

True...and this angst goes both ways...the very good players don't want to meet Vika early either:D
Vika is not as good as she was when she won AO for the second time.She has gained weight and lost confidence.She seems to get tired as the matches go on.......if she doesnt improve this year someone will be fired

Bounce It !!

Club Member
Reactions

special700 said:
tossip said:

Pova's draw is not all that easy, ok 2nd Rd is a Pova Puff, but then she faces some inform young guns including #28 C. GARCIA in 3rd Rd, #14 KaPLIS in 4th, #9 Petko/#8 MAKAROVA in QF, #16 VEE/#4 Woz/#7 Aga in SF. and I see Vee making the Final against her little sis. Should be some good tennis in this half.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions

Serena Niculescu in round two

Bellis meets Diyas again next round.

rugged

Futures Player
Reactions

tossip said:
golds girl said:
colleen66 said:

Vika is not as good as she was when she won AO for the second time.She has gained weight and lost confidence.She seems to get tired as the matches go on.......if she doesnt improve this year someone will be fired
You are correct, Pova has a cake walk.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

rugged said:
tossip said:
golds girl said:
You are correct, Pova has a cake walk.
she will not win Miami...just a gut feeling:popcorn