Mercedes Cup, Stuttgart, Germany, ATP 250

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Domi won: 6-7, 6-4, 6-4.
He now has won on all surfaces, serious breakthrough season.
But I hope he slows down the pace, 30 events / year is insane.
Yeah, I don't think he could continue that in the long term... 45th win 2016 already, 19-1 in final set deciders.... The further he consistenly goes in tournaments, the less he will play... at least, that's my guess.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, I don't think he could continue that in the long term... 45th win 2016 already, 19-1 in final set deciders.... The further he consistenly goes in tournaments, the less he will play... at least, that's my guess.
Unless he pulls the Davydenko and plays every week

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Time for the doubters to start believing in young Thiem!

Well, I'm one of the doubters :confused: maybe because I heard before so much the same about Dimitrov, Kyrgios, Nishi, Raonic, Goffin etc etc and I'm still waiting to see if they could win at least one MS....
I like Thiem, don't get me wrong, he looks very focus and with great spirit and desire to win, he is almost 23 and already got 7 tittles but I'd like to see that he or others young players can do something else, I mean more important titles. Maybe Wimbledon is going to bring us more surprises and more exciting moments from some of them, I hope so otherwise I will keep waiting and waiting......:scratch:

Last edited:

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This young Austrian is different--he is beating everyone in the deciding set, save one time this year--and he is accomplishing this against numerous top five and top ten players. Nole is Nole and a different animal, but this young man has that something that makes him a winner. He has won 250 and 500 events and done it in the big moments; he is one who is better in the clutch than any of the others save Kei. I put Kei above him still, but the kid will blow past him soon. He has great power on his shots and a good heavy shots when need be. His service is high quality as well. He will bag more and bigger titles later this year, rest assured.

Reactions: britbox and Moxie

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
He has won 250 and 500 events and done it in the big moments; he is one who is better in the clutch than any of the others save Kei. I put Kei above him still, but the kid will blow past him soon. He has great power on his shots and a good heavy shots when need be. His service is high quality as well. He will bag more and bigger titles later this year, rest assured.

He is already more clutch than the samurai in the crucial moments. Kei fans will tell you, he's pretty notorious for going brain dead with his shot selections when things get "tight". Nishi's still the more consistent player, the more mature player overall, but I tend to agree that Thiem will surpass him.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm especially impressed about the 4 titles on 3 surfaces this year. And his clutch play. (Thanks for the stats @britbox.) We don't know what his ceiling is, yet, but he's got a great attitude and he's very fit and strong.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope all you are right and we could see Thiem of some of the youngest ones at least reaching the semis or finals in Wimbledon, it would be very interesting :good:

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Congratulations to Dominator. This title was a nice surprise for him. I was away for a few days and I am now catching up with all the news.

What a year for Thiem.:dance2:

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope all you are right and we could see Thiem of some of the youngest ones at least reaching the semis or finals in Wimbledon, it would be very interesting :good:
He's improved his grass game significantly over last year, but I'm not sure how much to hope for. However, his ranking will give him a good look at quarterfinals, so keep an eye out for him in the draw.