Madrid Draw

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
But I still don't see Ferrer winning. This won't come down to short balls or how far you run. The space between the ears will tell very shortly...

Well done.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Vamos, Andujar! It wasn't pretty (his game, I mean), but he got the first set.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wow...Great win for the handsome Pablo!

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
A bagel to conclude this very strange match? So much for the heart, and the fighting spirit.
Well, I've heard it say before that Ferrer is a mental giant against everyone else and a mental midget against the big four. That's no doubt an exaggeration of sorts, but there's something to it.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Denisovich said:
A bagel to conclude this very strange match? So much for the heart, and the fighting spirit.
Well, I've heard it say before that Ferrer is a mental giant against everyone else and a mental midget against the big four. That's no doubt an exaggeration of sorts, but there's something to it.

That is a good description. Another reason why I can't stand Ferrer (sorry for mentioning this yet again) but I can't stand it that he takes out all these good players and then goes down without a fight against the big 4. He made an effort today allright. For two sets.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
Moxie629 said:
Wow...Great win for the handsome Pablo!

You said it. ;)

I bet the organizers are glad they gave him a wildcard.

Just came home and saw this result. I had a suspicion that Andujar has a good chance, being a clay courter, while Kei not so much.
I am thrilled for Pablo because he really has gfallen hard through the ranks, with a dismal 3-11 this year and was ranked now 113.
So when was the last time someone ranked this low made it to a Master SF?? Anyone knows?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Denisovich said:

Against Rafa, that's certainly true. If you go through their head-to-head, there are a number of final sets ending either 6-1 or 6-0.

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
tented said:
jhar26 said:
Denisovich said:

Against Rafa, that's certainly true. If you go through their head-to-head, there are a number of final sets ending either 6-1 or 6-0.

At GS level I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt. Up to a point anyway. There his problem is not only mental. It's also that the big four usually breeze through the first week while Ferrer has to work so hard in most of his matches that he's exhausted by the time he gets to play them while they are still as fresh as a daisy. That's not the complete story of his problems with the big four, but it could be part of it.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
jhar26 said:
Denisovich said:
That is a good description. Another reason why I can't stand Ferrer (sorry for mentioning this yet again) but I can't stand it that he takes out all these good players and then goes down without a fight against the big 4. He made an effort today allright. For two sets.

Really? watch then again, Ferrer-Murray at RG 2012

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^ Clay is Murray's worst surface. But he does fare well against him relatively speaking. Check his h2h with Federer (telling really) and Nadal. h2h with Djokovic is flawed, important matches are won by Nole.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Keep the pressure on, Berdman. Keep dishing out easy power and making Murray talk to himself like Robinson Crusoe searching for worms for lunch. What a pretty girlfriend Berdych has.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I had a feeling Berdych would win this, which is why I picked him in the draw challenge. (But what's up with the Himmler haircut?) Murray looked really out of sorts, based on what I saw, which was only the last 4-5 games.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Keep the pressure on, Berdman. Keep dishing out easy power and making Murray talk to himself like Robinson Crusoe searching for worms for lunch. What a pretty girlfriend Berdych has.

I thought the same when they were constantly zooming cameras at her ;)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Thought it'd be Berdych in 2 alright. He played very well. The Berdych of the past would've choked away the break so kudos to him. He's defended most of his points so far. Lost to Fed in the final last year but he was the far better player of the two that day. Fed was constantly 0-30 on his own serve but somehow managed to hang in there and win the big points. Hope his form continues into RG. Glad Berdych in this form didn't play Roger. That would've been UGLY! Even uglier than what we saw yesterday.

ftan said:
Front242 said:

I thought the same when they were constantly zooming cameras at her ;)

Yeah very pretty. They make a nice couple. Nice photo here.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/tennis-wags/images/ester-satarova.jpg

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions
Great observation by Broken (back a few pages)....Watching the match this morning, Nadal just had this miserable look written all over his face. And as one of those obsessive match watcher, he just "seemed" wrong - not to mention the score line.

I just caught notice in his presser that he didn't want to take anything away from Ferrer's level of play (rather amazing stuff, good to see again), but that his knees were really bothering him.

I wouldn't start cuing up for those Brazil Olympic tennis tickets to watch him play down there...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
I had a feeling Berdych would win this, which is why I picked him in the draw challenge. (But what's up with the Himmler haircut?) Murray looked really out of sorts, based on what I saw, which was only the last 4-5 games.

I said last night that Murray's results here at Madrid were very unconvinging, not surprising at all. Good for Tomas. and i think he'll play Wawrinka, because Tsonga didn't look too well against Verdasco yesterday, it was more like Fernando lost it, than JWT won it.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Well at least he's (Tsonga) on the board anyway. I like both guys but Wawrinka is in far better form and would give Nadal a much better run for his money. Oh, sorry Andujar, I forgot about you. Anyway, Nadal v Wawrinka will be much more entertaining than Nadal v Tsonga. On clay Tsonga v Nadal just isn't entertaining.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
On clay Tsonga v Nadal just isn't entertaining.

It was in Monte Carlo. I think it'd be even better here...