Madrid Draw

reddy

Reactions
Madrid draw is out although not officialy posted yet.
Nadal gets the best possible draw for his seeding IMO, landing in Ferrer's quarter and in Federer's half.
Djokovic has a few potentially tricky early round matches on paper with Dimitrov, Wawrinka and Tsonga.

Djokovic - BYE
Dimitrov - Marti
Qualifier - Klizan
Copil - Wawrinka
Raonic - Davydenko
Goffin - Verdasco
Qualifier - Dolgopolov
Tsonga – BYE

Murray - BYE
Bellucci - Mayer
Chardy - Zeballos
Benneteau - Simon
Tipsarevic - Monaco
Anderson - Qualifier
Janowicz - Querrey
Berdych – BYE

Nadal - BYE
Qualifier - Paire
Fognini - Youzhny
Qualifier - Almagro
Haas - Seppi
Baghdatis - Robredo
Qualifier – Istomin
Ferrer – BYE

Gasquet - BYE
Lopez - Gimeno-Traver
Isner - Qualifier
Andujar - Cilic
Nishikori - Melzer
Troicki - Granollers
Tomic - Stepanek
Federer - BYE

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Interesting draw! Djokovic certainly has a potentially tough draw. Nadal and Fed lucked out pretty much. Murray has a tough out too.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think that Tsonga is one of the few players that has a legit shot at beating Djokovic in any given match. Could be interesting.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Easy Draw for Fed and Rafa.. though hate to see Rafa in Fed's quarter.. we know the result :(

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
ftan said:
Easy Draw for Fed and Rafa.. though hate to see Rafa in Fed's quarter.. we know the result :(

If this was Monte Carlo or Rome I would agree with you but Fed thrives on the fast clay courts of Madrid. He won there in 2009, lost a close final in 2010, lost a three set thriller in the semis of 2011 and won it again in 2012. He might be rusty due to the layoff but do not write him off. If he's ever going to beat Nadal on clay again, it's going to be in Madrid. I like his chances.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I agree with Didi. It all depends upon how quickly Federer can play into shape. He's got three possible matches before Nadal and while an in-form Federer should have no problem with who he will face. Here are Roger's possible opponents by round:

1R - Bye
2R - Tomic or Stepanek
3R - Nishikori, Melzer, Troicki, or Granollers
4R/QF - Gasquet, Cilic, Isner, Lopez, Andujar, Gimeno-Travers, Qualifier

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
I agree with Didi. It all depends upon how quickly Federer can play into shape. He's got three possible matches before Nadal and while an in-form Federer should have no problem with who he will face. Here are Roger's possible opponents by round:

1R - Bye
2R - Tomic or Stepanek
3R - Nishikori, Melzer, Troicki, or Granollers
4R/QF - Gasquet, Cilic, Isner, Lopez, Andujar, Gimeno-Travers, Qualifier

I agree, too. Federer's best results on clay by far in the last years have been in Madrid. Suits his game. It seems a near-certainty that we'll see a Fedal semi. Rafa's draw is even easier, I'd say. (Ferrer would be more trouble in someone else's quarter, and he's not in top form right now, it seems.) I'd still give Rafa the edge, but Roger's got a shot.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Didi said:
ftan said:

If this was Monte Carlo or Rome I would agree with you but Fed thrives on the fast clay courts of Madrid. He won there in 2009, lost a close final in 2010, lost a three set thriller in the semis of 2011 and won it again in 2012. He might be rusty due to the layoff but do not write him off. If he's ever going to beat Nadal on clay again, it's going to be in Madrid. I like his chances.

Not so sure they're that fast this year, at least going by what Sharapova is saying. Slower than last year.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/sharapova-madrid-courts-are-playing-slower/47315/#.UYQjkUrmzNo

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was hoping they would rig the Roland Garros draw this way. Now it will look suspicious if they do it again.

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Didi said:
ftan said:

I would have given Roger a chance if he had been playing. Rusty Roger + plus Rafa on clay is not a good combination

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Did anybody else feel a little tingle in their gut when they saw the most electrifying potential third round match...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

MURRAY VS. SIMON

ftan

Masters Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Did anybody else feel a little tingle in their gut when say say the most electrifying potential third round match...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

MURRAY VS. SIMON

TBH.. I think Nole vs Stan should be better

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
El Dude said:
I think that Tsonga is one of the few players that has a legit shot at beating Djokovic in any given match. Could be interesting.

Yet, No1e denied it every time they played since 2010 - last SEVEN times!

I am actually happy that No1e has quality opponents in his draw. It worked for him well in Monte-Carlo.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ftan said:
Riotbeard said:
Did anybody else feel a little tingle in their gut when say say the most electrifying potential third round match...

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

MURRAY VS. SIMON

TBH.. I think Nole vs Stan should be better

This was a bit of a dry joke. Counter punchers leave me super bored with Simon being the worst of the worst of this category. I imagine this match will be like watching paint dry to be honest.

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
I was hoping for novak/rafa qf...........well, another final will do.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Roger will be a total guess work. I have no idea what to expect. Anyone has any knowledge as to how he spent the last month or so? I mean , where he trained and all..?

I know he went to cheer for FC Basel:D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:
I was hoping for novak/rafa qf...........well, another final will do.

And, why a QF?

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Mastoor said:
El Dude said:

Yet, No1e denied it every time they played since 2010 - last SEVEN times!

I am actually happy that No1e has quality opponents in his draw. It worked for him well in Monte-Carlo.

Well it didn't have to be this hard, but what can we do. You are right, sometimes he is more focussed when he has more quality opponents from the 1st round. Good luck Nole!!!:angel: