Madrid Draw

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:
On clay Tsonga v Nadal just isn't entertaining.

It was in Monte Carlo. I think it'd be even better here...
Sorry, but I don't see it happen. Stan looks like someone on a mission.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:
On clay Tsonga v Nadal just isn't entertaining.

It was in Monte Carlo. I think it'd be even better here...

Served like dung in set 1 just now and got 1 (!) winner. I think Wawrinka's in better form to challenge Nadal right now. Tsonga looks lost.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hope Stan can make it to the finals. He's a fine clay court player and I think -- if he's really in the zone -- that he can trouble and even defeat Nadal. That would be quite a career achievement for him.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
1 winner in the first set for Tsonga and 17 so far in the 2nd. Quite an improvement!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a point!

on matchpoint even, wow!

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Incredible last point to save match point by Tsonga.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Tsonga takes the second. 11-9 tiebreak. Stan got a couple of matchpoints.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
And turns the match right around. Often happens with these two. A lopsided set with one dominating the other, who makes way too many errors and then a much more competitive match after the other (Tsonga in this case) wakes up from his slumber.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Oh God, Tsonga hits some miracle shot and saves MP then takes the set. Not expected this one.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:

That was awesome, indeed! And let's see if he can bring that flair AND patience to the 3rd set that he displayed at the end of the 2nd.

I'd still see Stan pulling out the win, but I always root for Jo-Will.

Allez, Tsonga!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Berdych is having a blast at the moment.

I must say this really great tennis to watch.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

That was awesome, indeed! And let's see if he can bring that flair AND patience to the 3rd set that he displayed at the end of the 2nd.

Allez, Tsonga!

Very much torn here between the two. I mean Tsonga is so much more charismatic and likeable but Wawrinka of late is just on fire. He's hardly a posterboy for tennis but that BH is just ridiculous. The power he generates from it is insane. Off both wings actually. Very hard to break Tsonga down when he's in the zone. Often you just have to wait and hope that he goes back down to earth but it doesn't always happen. Fed knows that all too well from the 5 set Wimbledon loss where Tsonga's fire kept on burning for 3 straight sets. I just hate when you see the kind of this isn't my day lost look on Tsonga's face like in set 1. But usually, as was the case here, he just needs one or two great shots to fire him up and he's a different player altogether. From moping head down, this isn't my day doom and gloom, to fist pumping, jumping into the air antics and insane winners from everywhere. A total headcase!

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

Allez, Tsonga!

Very much torn here between the two. I mean Tsonga is so much more charismatic and likeable but Wawrinka of late is just on fire. He's hardly a posterboy for tennis but that BH is just ridiculous. The power he generates from it is insane. Off both wings actually. Very hard to break Tsonga down when he's in the zone. Often you just have to wait and hope that he goes back down to earth but it doesn't always happen. Fed knows that all too well from the 5 set Wimbledon loss where Tsonga's fire kept on burning for 3 straight sets. I just hate when you see the kind of this isn't my day lost look on Tsonga's face like in set 1. But usually, as was the case here, he just needs one or two great shots to fire him up and he's a different player altogether. From moping head down, this isn't my day doom and gloom, to fist pumping, jumping into the air antics and insane winners from everywhere. A total headcase!

Completely agree with you, well put. On clay I tend to root a bit more for Wawrinka, just because it's his surface.

And Wawrinka takes the break.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

Allez, Tsonga!

Completely agree with you, well put. On clay I tend to root a bit more for Wawrinka, just because it's his surface.

Yup, likewise. Grass and hardcourt definitely Tsonga though for me.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^Exactly.

This is great tennis!

Stan serving for the match. Can he handle it?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

Allez, Tsonga!

Agreed. Front, you're spot-on about Tsonga. His emotion as a player is one of the reasons I love him and he drives me crazy. If he could just trust his tennis as much as his fire and fire-power.

Stan is a top clay player...one of the best out there.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Very nice match (apart from set 1 really) and great win for Wawrinka. Nice and sporting between the two afterwards too which is always nice to see. I guess Wawrinka will move up the rankings quite nicely after this and he deserves it with the stellar form last few months since that brilliant AO match against Djokovic. The match which pretty much kick started his improved confidence and great run.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wow, that was fun. Tsonga is so funny, completely relaxed after losing such a tight match. Anyway, I am a bit concerned about the next match against Berdych. Really hope Stan can manage it so we will have a nice final here.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good one for Stan. Folks might be starting to wonder where he lands in the draw at RG. He's certainly a dangerous spoiler on clay, and he having a good start to the year.