Madrid Draw

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So I've lost count, how many floating slices for no reason has Nadal hit?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's true, Broken. He raises his game occasionally to swat Ferrer, but he's actually not moved out of the lower gears in this match...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Also to be fair about the layoff, it's not so much the layoff that is affecting him. Rust is not the issue since he's demonstrated he's over it (to an extent) before. It's his physical state, as well as his ability to play with continuous intensity the way he used to.

Kieran said:
That's true, Broken. He raises his game occasionally to swat Ferrer, but he's actually not moved out of the lower gears in this match...

Yeah. If you make a highlight reel of nothing but Nadal points from this match, he'd look pretty decent, as he's hit some fine shots. But overall, it's been pretty dismal.

The newly found habit of getting broken when serving for a set doesn't make things any better.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Curious about Ferrer now, will he succumb as usual or will he step up.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
The newly found habit of getting broken when serving for a set doesn't make things any better.

That's an old habit from his youth come back to haunt him...

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
Link to mandatory"Nadal's knee's are weak article": http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20130510/Nadal_knee_a_continual_worry_in_Paris_run-up

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Also to be fair about the layoff, it's not so much the layoff is affecting him. Rust is not the issue since he's demonstrated he's over it (to an extent) before. It's his physical state, as well as his ability to play with continuous intensity the way he used to.

Yes, he's not in great shape. But does that have to do with the layoff? You can exercise in other ways than spending time on a tennis court right. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it's true that he doesn't look as explosive as he used too.

And the intensity, well maybe it's just because it's Madrid. I really think because of the dominance of the big 4, all they care about is the slams. That's what divides them from each other.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:

Nadal playing so badly will make the match competitive by default.

Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Also to be fair about the layoff, it's not so much the layoff is affecting him. Rust is not the issue since he's demonstrated he's over it (to an extent) before. It's his physical state, as well as his ability to play with continuous intensity the way he used to.

Yes, he's not in great shape. But does that have to do with the layoff?

The layoff was due to a knee injury. If he is indeed not in great shape, I'm guessing it's due to the knee injury. So yeah, as I said above, it's not the layoff per se, but rather the injury.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What a point! a bit lucky I guess, but still...

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, that's what I was saying about a highlight reel of Nadal points from this match. He's hit some stunners, but that hardly tells the story. Ferrer is someone who just gets bossed around by Nadal's forehand on clay due to his small stature. He really struggles to handle Rafa's high bouncing balls. Today, Nadal's rally forehand has just no action, and Ferrer is finding it surprisingly easy to step up with his backhand.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Denisovich said:

Nadal playing so badly will make the match competitive by default.

Denisovich said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Yes, he's not in great shape. But does that have to do with the layoff?

The layoff was due to a knee injury. If he is indeed not in great shape, I'm guessing it's due to the knee injury. So yeah, as I said above, it's not the layoff per se, but rather the injury.

Hmm yes. I guess. I was thinking about shape in general not just the knee. It's all connected.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
2 double faults, 2 forehand winners, and Nadal is up 4-0. Shades of the Verdasco match from last year? Probably not.

I guess I stand corrected. Ferrer completely fell apart.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
A bagel to conclude this very strange match? So much for the heart, and the fighting spirit.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Too much over analyzing ladies and gent (BS and mr K).. Rafa just started off slow today.. it happens and Ferrer is playing well (although I dont ever enjoy watching his matches. Nothing appears to be wrong his movement now.. IMO

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So is Ferrer going to get fined now like they did with Davydenko for not making an effort?

Kieran said:
Ferrer should be lauded by every tennis fan. He's maybe one of the best examples you could show a kid learning the game. His attitude is immense. If he had the talent and size of Tsonga or Berdych, we'd have a big 4+1, with Murray still the +1...

Yes, amazing attitude there in the third.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Too much over analyzing ladies and gent (BS and mr K).. Rafa just started off slow today.. it happens and Ferrer is playing well (although I dont ever enjoy watching his matches. Nothing appears to be wrong his movement now.. IMO

Nadal didn't finish any significantly less slow than he started. Ferrer completely fell apart. Nadal's "slow start" lasted two full sets. You might be right by the way, and it could be a simple case of Nadal not playing well, but one has to ask WHY he wasn't playing well. To me, this wasn't a case of him simply not feeling the ball well (which happens to anyone). There were some glaring issues in his game, and they've been present since the beginning of the clay season, though never to this degree.

Denisovich said:
So is Ferrer going to get fined now like they did with Davydenko for not making an effort?

Kieran said:
Ferrer should be lauded by every tennis fan. He's maybe one of the best examples you could show a kid learning the game. His attitude is immense. If he had the talent and size of Tsonga or Berdych, we'd have a big 4+1, with Murray still the +1...

Yes, amazing attitude there in the third.

LOL touche :D

You are being kinda harsh though as his attitude in general and overall approach are noteworthy.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:

Lets put it like this.. playing Rafa on clay is like being in a boxing match, Rafa first takes your legs away from you and next your competitive spirit. I dont think Ferrer is going to be trying to get some "happy happy time" from his gf tonight..:blush:

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
That overhead that Nadal somehow got back was the game changer. Not that Ferrer for sure would have won but that was his chance.