Madrid Draw

jhar26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Ferrer should be lauded by every tennis fan. He's maybe one of the best examples you could show a kid learning the game. His attitude is immense. If he had the talent and size of Tsonga or Berdych, we'd have a big 4+1, with Murray still the +1...
How about Rochus? The guy is a dwarf. If he was 25 cm bigger he could have been top 10 material. But I guess that's all a "if my aunt had a..............uncle" type of discussion really.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
jhar26 said:
Kieran said:
Ferrer should be lauded by every tennis fan. He's maybe one of the best examples you could show a kid learning the game. His attitude is immense. If he had the talent and size of Tsonga or Berdych, we'd have a big 4+1, with Murray still the +1...
How about Rochus? The guy is a dwarf. If he was 25 cm bigger he could have been top 10 material. But I guess that's all a "if my aunt had a..............uncle" type of discussion really.
:D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
Moxie629 said:
jhar26 said:
Denisovich said:
I think we will see a Nadal - Wawrinka final, and I'd like to see it too.

So can anybody explain me why I should enjoy a player like Ferrer? Apart from the inside out forehand, he's just bringing balls back. And it just doesn't look pretty either. He hits that backhand like a hunchback.

His game is not pretty, but the guy gives value for money in that he always gives it 200%. That's admirable in my opinion. He'll never win a beauty contest with his game, but he'll never have to wonder about what could have been if only he had tried harder.

I think Denisovich is a Federer man? I think there's a basic difference in taste between those that like their tennis pretty, and those that like it valiant. I don't see what's NOT to like about Ferrer's game.

Ferrer deserves all the respect in the world. But implying there's nothing to dislike about his game is a bit rich. Off the top of my head, I'd bring up his volleying skills (or lack thereof), suspect net positioning, and poor second serve.

I'm just saying I like his game and his attitude. A lot. (Picky. :p)

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
And Nadal is taking over. It will be 6-4, 6-2 or something like that.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
jhar26 said:
Kieran said:
:D

Somebody remind me when Rochus was ranked #4...?

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
or maybe not... :D

In the under 170 cm league Rochus was ranked no 1 for a very long time. In the real world his career high ranking was no 24.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So Nadal is in "I'm not aware my shots are allowed to land beyond the service line" mode.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So Ferrer has a good attitude. Great. And a nice inside out forehand. And he's a great alternative to valium if you can't sleep. OK. Nice. But not for me.

I want to see battles, emotion, shotmaking, mental lapses, come-backs, more shotmaking, aggressive play, counterpunching, grinding, and even more emotion.

Well your guy just won the first set. He will lose though.

Nadal is playing really poorly.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You get it all with Ferrer - and more. Nadal getting bumped over him in Paris? Daveed (the real Daveed :D ) is posting his reply.

And yeah, Nadal is Mid-Court Ralphie, but I'm enjoying Ferrer's legwork, shotmaking and heart too much to notice...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Madrid is turning into a 250 event rapidly now.

Kieran said:
You get it all with Ferrer - and more. Nadal getting bumped over him in Paris? Daveed (the real Daveed :D ) is posting his reply.

And yeah, Nadal is Mid-Court Ralphie, but I'm enjoying Ferrer's legwork, shotmaking and heart too much to notice...

You do know he runs on batteries, don't you?

Ok, ok I'll stop it. Everyone their fix. I hope Nadal can get back into this one.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Ferrer is playing AWESOME!!!! Man I hope he can hold on. Two holds and he's got this match. Two holds.

NOPE. Nadal breaks to love. I think Ferrer and everyone else knows he has to win it here and now. In this set. Or he won't take this match. He's got to throw everything he's got at him and then some.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:
So Nadal is in "I'm not aware my shots are allowed to land beyond the service line" mode.

LOL! So delightful, isn't it?

Combined, at times, with "You mean I'm supposed to get the ball over the net?"

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Poor Ferrer, even on a day when Nadal seems to miss a cows arse with a banjo, he cannot jump over the finish line. This is even more depressing than Roddick vs. Fed.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Still, look on the bright side: this match is further proof for Cali that seven months off hasn't affected Nadal in the slightest.

I think in Ferrer we're seeing a huge display of pride after Nadal swatted him in South America. Magnificent point there to go 30-0.

But I still don't see Ferrer winning. This won't come down to short balls or how far you run. The space between the ears will tell very shortly...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Come on, you can't talk about the layoff anymore, that is months ago. Nadal is just playing really poorly.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know I'll catch flack for this, but I think Nadal's knees are bothering him. Usually, he has 3 kinds of bad performances: 1) Getting nervous and overspinning the ball, and thus hitting it short when his opponent is dictating play (See the Gulbis match at IW). 2) Overhitting to get out of trouble when forced to be more aggressive (many of his matches with Novak). 3) Dropping the ball too short off of both sides due to movement struggles. The over-reliance on the slice is an easy giveaway, as is the lack of action on the forehand.

To me, this match fits the 3rd description.

And before anyone drops in the obligatory "you're taking credit away from his opponent," I need to mention that Ferrer is playing very well.

EDIT: This is absolutely awful stuff from Nadal. Worst I've seen him play on clay since... maybe 2005?

EDIT 2: Please Rafa, stop going to the net. Under any circumstance.

Denisovich said:
Come on, you can't talk about the layoff anymore, that is months ago. Nadal is just playing really poorly.

Could it have to do with the knees or is that completely preposterous just because he's playing tennis again?

EDIT number 10121225: Keep in mind, arguments like "he was great at IW" don't really have much to do with this match. Yes, he played very good there, but it's kind of irrelevant.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes, this looks absolutely terrible. Could well be the knees, or he's just having a really bad day.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Ferrer was two points away from winning. Tie-break now.