GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
golds girl said:
Front242 said:
LOL, not a very sporting handshake there.

I felt it was ok for such a tight match.....I've seen worse this tourney:puzzled

The women are much worse to be honest.

:huh:

There are much worse sore losers and lack of sporting handshakes in WTA than ATP.

Remember Aga's handshake with face turned completely the other
way after her loss in Wimbledon to Sabin Liscki. The press even asked her
about it. They asked her why did she leave so quickly with a terrible
handshake without eye contact. She retorted back angrily "Do you
expect me to dance in the court after losing?".

Although, I would not mind seeing Aga dance, she did not really
admit the existence of the other person in her hand shake that day.
I am busy. Somebody can post a clip of that infamous handshake.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
I will agree that where the guys will (usually) look each other in the eye and shake hands, and the ladies (often) give a rather indifferent handshake while looking away.

I'm replying to Front more than you, nehmeth, but the European women will also often give the customary 2 kisses at the net. I hardly ever see the men kiss after the matches. Perhaps it's part custom: boys/men are taught to give a firm handshake with eye contact, in general (not just in tennis.) Perhaps no one is giving these young women lessons in a proper handshake. Which would be a shame, if true, since it's part of their sport.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
I will agree that where the guys will (usually) look each other in the eye and shake hands, and the ladies (often) give a rather indifferent handshake while looking away.

I'm replying to Front more than you, nehmeth, but the European women will also often give the customary 2 kisses at the net. I hardly ever see the men kiss after the matches. Perhaps it's part custom: boys/men are taught to give a firm handshake with eye contact, in general (not just in tennis.) Perhaps no one is giving these young women lessons in a proper handshake. Which would be a shame, if true, since it's part of their sport.

Exactly Mox. I was trying to convey that a lot has to do with culture. Usually guys are taught to give a firm handshake and look each other in the eye. It seems that with today's culture, the ladies are supposed to appear detached and disinterested. So of course that can come across as being a poor loser.

Then there are those who really are pissed that they lost. And that two kiss-on-the-cheek they do? When one is angry over the loss - it looks horrible.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:

Exactly Mox. I was trying to convey that a lot has to do with culture. Usually guys are taught to give a firm handshake and look each other in the eye. It seems that with today's culture, the ladies are supposed to appear detached and disinterested. So of course that can come across as being a poor loser.

Then there are those who really are pissed that they lost. And that two kiss-on-the-cheek they do? When one is angry over the loss - it looks horrible.

Oh, I think the women don't do fake kisses any better than the men do fake handshakes. But yes, something that the coaches may have neglected and should be worked on. My mother taught me how to give a good handshake, and I've considered it valuable my whole life. And don't we all think a little less of people who don't? Considering it's part of a tennis player's life, coaches ought to take more time with their protocol at the net, post-game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
golds girl said:
I felt it was ok for such a tight match.....I've seen worse this tourney:puzzled

There are much worse sore losers and lack of sporting handshakes in WTA than ATP.

I didn't look that one up, but I remember when Berdych refused to shake Almagro's hand at the net and got taken down for it by the crowd. The tag is at the beginning. The non-handshake is at about 1:45.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iF-Sv2qsN8[/video]

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The art of post-match handshake.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/2013/08/25/us-open-wta-post-match-handshake/2696803/

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ And most of those are "look in the eyes" and shake properly.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

I didn't look that one up, but I remember when Berdych refused to shake Almagro's hand at the net and got taken down for it by the crowd. The tag is at the beginning. The non-handshake is at about 1:45.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iF-Sv2qsN8[/video]

This is actually something else. This is not due to not knowing how to do a proper
handshake or due to being a sore loser. This is an explicit non-handshake as a form of
protest. If I remember right, at one point during the match Almagro directly hit
Berdych with huge force, when Berdych was at the net. Berdych thought Almagro
did it deliberately and felt it was unsportsmanlike conduct and so refused to handshake.

Actually, Almagro says it is not intentional and there is no way that he could have
redirected the ball carefully to avoid hitting Berdych.

So, anyway my point is that this cannot be held as an exhibit for bad behaviour
after a sore loss. There is more to the story in this non-handshake.

In general, based on my observation, men do a good handshake after losing and
women don't often. It is not so much due to not knowing how to do it; it is mostly
due to being a sore loser. Aga's microsecond handshake with Sabine after losing
in Wimbledon is a clear demonstration of that.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
OK!
Where are the semi thread/polls?
Am I missing something here?
I see there's heated debates but no new threads...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ This is very much about being sore, but he was the winner. The original argument with Front was the he was saying that WTA is less gracious at the net. I think this is well in with that conversation. You should watch the video. Almagro had nowhere else to go, and the commentators agree. He hit Berdych on the arm. (And Berdych later said he went for the face…untrue.) There is no "more to the story." Tomas behaved badly and the crowd let him know about it. He won that match, and still acted like a jerk to Almagro. I would say that no handshake is much worse than a pathetic and insincere fish one.

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
May as well start fresh...
Where are those semi threads/polls?
I wanna vote for big john!

This thread has run it's course.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kiu said:

No reason not to keep up conversations from this one, though.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Julien B was brutalized by Nole, sad to end a tourney this way

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

What more is required than a quick shake, nod of the head? In that since, I'm with Kieran: it's doesn't require a cuddle every time at the net. And neither do the women. But ATP players are occasionally guilty of refusing the hand, including of the umpire, so why does that make them so much better than the WTA players?

Nothing more is required. I just think that from observation the women are less sporting than the men. Maybe it's hormonal 'cos they look like grumpier losers :p

If this is the case the men should take lessons...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:

What more is required than a quick shake, nod of the head? In that since, I'm with Kieran: it's doesn't require a cuddle every time at the net. And neither do the women. But ATP players are occasionally guilty of refusing the hand, including of the umpire, so why does that make them so much better than the WTA players?

Nothing more is required. I just think that from observation the women are less sporting than the men. Maybe it's hormonal 'cos they look like grumpier losers :p

If this is the case the men should take lessons...

Bingo... :clap

Correspondent Kiu

Correspondent
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Kiu said:

No reason not to keep up conversations from this one, though.

by all means, theres the doubles match and all the general debates.
;)

I like how those hand shakes can make such debates!!
The Ladies do it less?

Do you all even watch the ladies?
Just kidding....

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ This is very much about being sore, but he was the winner. The original argument with Front was the he was saying that WTA is less gracious at the net. I think this is well in with that conversation. You should watch the video. Almagro had nowhere else to go, and the commentators agree. He hit Berdych on the arm. (And Berdych later said he went for the face…untrue.) There is no "more to the story." Tomas behaved badly and the crowd let him know about it. He won that match, and still acted like a jerk to Almagro. I would say that no handshake is much worse than a pathetic and insincere fish one.

This is a non-handshake as a means of protest. Also, as you bothered to point out
the person who chose to not shake hands is the winner and not the loser. I am not saying
that Almagro had somewhere else to hit that ball. It is easy for the commentators to observe
that. In the match, in the heat of the moment, Berdych felt that it was intentional. As he
felt that it was intentional, he did not choose to shake hands as shaking hands is to be
down only with people who behave in sportsmanlike manner.

On the other hand WTA handshakes are mostly of the sore loser type. They don't
want to acknowledge that the other player beat them. Also, don't tell me that these
people don't know or have not been taught as to how to give a handshake properly.
They fully well know how to do it, when they want to do it.