Indian Wells

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
LOL, not a very sporting handshake there.

I felt it was ok for such a tight match.....I've seen worse this tourney:puzzled

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I'm glad Im going to miss that semi tomorrow. See you guys on Sunday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Denisovich said:
nehmeth said:
golds girl said:
Does Gulbis strike you as the type who used to argue with his nannies, housekeepers, chauffeurs etc. growing up?

Koenig was saying earlier that Gulbis is extremely polite off the court. That when you come to his table he stands up to greet you, unlike a lot of other young players that are completely self-absorbed. His words.

The guy has character, so I can still see him arguing with his nanny at age 4.

So is it right to just assume he had a nanny, and that his mother wasn't the one who raised him? Was it mentioned in his bio that he was raised by Nannies, Chauffeurs and Butlers? I'd like to see the link.

I've been as guilty as anyone of disliking Gulbis for having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and acting like a brat. But if he's going to pull himself together, I don't think we need to hold his background against him.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Hmmm.....I don't think it's necessarily holding it against him. He is pulling himself together, but I don't see any foul in wondering whether his behavior sometimes on court is because of it? It's like a small whiff of 'spoiled' that comes through sometimes.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak said today that it is more difficult for him to face big servers in day time than
in night time.

Tomorrows semis will be in day time.

Therefore, ..............

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Novak said today that it is more difficult for him to face big servers in day time than
in night time.

Tomorrows semis will be in day time.

Therefore, ..............

.....he's out on the practice court practicing his ROS??

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, the balls for sure fly through the air a bit faster in the peak heat of day.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
golds girl said:
Hmmm.....I don't think it's necessarily holding it against him. He is pulling himself together, but I don't see any foul in wondering whether his behavior sometimes on court is because of it? It's like a small whiff of 'spoiled' that comes through sometimes.

But other players act bratty, misbehave and display arrogance, without a billionaire father, so no one attributes it to that. If you didn't know his dad was loaded, how would you distinguish his behavior from that of Safin, Dimitrov (until recently,) or Federer in his youth? I think not. I agree he's had to work on his on-court behavior and head, but I don't think it's necessarily connected to coming from privilege (anymore, at least.)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
golds girl said:
Front242 said:
LOL, not a very sporting handshake there.

I felt it was ok for such a tight match.....I've seen worse this tourney:puzzled

The women are much worse to be honest.

:huh:

There are much worse sore losers and lack of sporting handshakes in WTA than ATP.

What more is required than a quick shake, nod of the head? In that since, I'm with Kieran: it's doesn't require a cuddle every time at the net. And neither do the women. But ATP players are occasionally guilty of refusing the hand, including of the umpire, so why does that make them so much better than the WTA players?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
golds girl said:

We don't have any idea how he was raised, just assumptions. I grew up around a lot of kids who were extremely wealthy and just like with poor and middle income people, there are those who are wonderful people, those who are jerks and a lot of in between. :s

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
golds girl said:

The women are much worse to be honest.

:huh:

There are much worse sore losers and lack of sporting handshakes in WTA than ATP.

What more is required than a quick shake, nod of the head? In that since, I'm with Kieran: it's doesn't require a cuddle every time at the net. And neither do the women. But ATP players are occasionally guilty of refusing the hand, including of the umpire, so why does that make them so much better than the WTA players?

Nothing more is required. I just think that from observation the women are less sporting than the men. Maybe it's hormonal 'cos they look like grumpier losers :p

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Nah. Just watch a few WTA matches and see players who have superiority complexes and can't believe they lost and have a look of utter disgust at the net and the words cordial and sporting don't even exist in their vocabularies.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not a big deal but it's definitely the case imo that they're less gracious losers than the men on average.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I will agree that where the guys will (usually) look each other in the eye and shake hands, and the ladies (often) give a rather indifferent handshake while looking away.