12 DIMITROV, Grigor
13 BERDYCH, Tomas
14 POUILLE, Lucas
15 KYRGIOS, Nick
16 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto

Indian Wells Tennis Garden
by sathellite, on Flickr

About Indian Wells:

Indian Wells is the 5th largest tennis tournament in the world. It is a co-ed event. Since Larry Ellison purchased both the tournament and the IW Tennis Garden in 2009, his vision has been to make it one of the biggest and best tournaments in tennis. Located in the Coacochela Valley in California, and on the edge of Joshua Tree National Park, the venue is spectacularly situated, but is subject to the complications of desert weather.

Incorporated in 1967, it lies in between Palm Desert and the resort town of La Quinta. As of the 2013 census, the city population was 5,165.

the-view-from-our-room.jpg
indian-wells.gif

pspsr_golf.jpg

2143-0029_the-venue.ashx
Indian-Wells.12.gif

Visiting the BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells.

Last edited by a moderator:

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/tournaments/indian-wells/404/overview

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Miami is on level of IW even though it's facilities are not as good. It has so much history on its side that it should be at least a co-equal to this event. I think Miami suffers because it comes immediately after Indian Wells and the idea of the two major events back to back over four weeks may be considered a bit much.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I changed the title slightly to denote Masters and hardcourt. I will add draws to this post when they come out.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Early prediction before even seeing the draw. Fed wins the final against Andy. Rafa and Djoker go out early. Grigor and Tsonga will go deep.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Miami is on level of IW even though it's facilities are not as good. It has so much history on its side that it should be at least a co-equal to this event. I think Miami suffers because it comes immediately after Indian Wells and the idea of the two major events back to back over four weeks may be considered a bit much.

I think Miami and Rome were probably regarded as the biggest non-slam-yec comps for the most part. Got to say Ellison has done a good job with Indian Wells though... it's up there.

Mind you it's chump change to his very deep pockets.

Reactions: shawnbm

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Miami Open unfortunately has all kind of problems from the residents of Key Byscaine who are always complaining about the horrendous traffic during those two weeks and doing all kind of complains and troubles. I've heard rumors that this tournament could be moved to Orlando but nothing is for sure, we'll see :-(

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm really hoping Grigor wins either IW or Miami. He needs a big tournament title to solidify himself as an elite player...if he is an elite player, that is. A Grigor-Tsonga final would be epic.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Early prediction before even seeing the draw. Fed wins the final against Andy. Rafa and Djoker go out early. Grigor and Tsonga will go deep.

Change Murray for Djokovic and that´s my wish... not exactly my prediction...

Predictions wise, I guess the big 3 +1 get to the quarters. Reality checks for Dimitrov and Zverev. Raonic and Nishikori trying to get something going again, but I don´t think they will this time. Goffin and Thiem, by their turn, are my best bet for an upset in the quarters.

I wont put too much stock in Tsonga but I would like to see him in semis...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think it will necessarily happen, but I'd love to see one of IW or Miami won by a new guy (maybe Grigor?), one of the clay Masters (Thiem?), one of the late season hard-court Masters (Zverev?), and the US Open (Grigor?).

The Big Five Hegemony just seems impenetrable. I know it will inevitably crumble, but I'm really hoping that we start seeing new faces this. After fearing it was going to be all Andy-Novak this year, the Roger-Rafa AO final was a welcome change...but in the wrong direction! But at least it breaks up the sense of inevitability...that surprises can and do happen.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
According what Novak has said to the Serbian Press tennis is not any more his priority but his family....
Come on Novak, we know how tough is to lose, to be burnet out or just simply can't be able to play always the best like everyone sooner or later goes through and others players have the same right to play their best too. The wounded self esteem is better to leave at home, the fight playing on court

sid

Masters Champion
Reactions
Andy Murray
Ranking points:
Andy 12040
Djoko 9825

Defending in IW+Miami
Andy 45+45
Djoko 1000+1000

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
According what Novak has said to the Serbian Press tennis is not any more his priority but his family....
Come on Novak, we know how tough is to lose, to be burnet out or just simply can't be able to play always the best like everyone sooner or later goes through and others players have the same right to play their best too. The wounded self esteem is better to leave at home, the fight playing on court

Carol is on the money here to be quite honest. He is making it seem like he is forced to choose between one or the other, and is playing the victim card.
Look at his reasoning: Oh I have entered an age where all, without exception, tennis players decline, and start to play worse or much worse than in their best years, completely normal stuff. Nah nah, tennis in not my priority anymore.
If he was a real man, he would hang up his racquet and go spend time with his family if tennis was burdening him so much. These passive aggressive remarks are disgusting from his side. People have probably forgotten just how many injury excuses (and other ) we have heard since Wimbledon.

I won't even mention what other pros should say in that case. You see, they are all psychopaths, but Novak is the only one who cares about his family. Knowing full well that there are pros out there who have an additional job or two, in order to feed their kids. Man, what a jerk.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude said:
The Big Five Hegemony just seems impenetrable.

Wow I forgot Wawrinka! I won´t use big 5, but rather big 3 +1 + 1 (helluva difference, don´t you think). I predict that Wawrinka will at worst lose his first match scoring just a few games and at best win it all playing like an obsessed motha f... in the final. Or something in between. I love precision.

Puppet Master said:
Carol35 said:

Carol is on the money here to be quite honest. He is making it seem like he is forced to choose between one or the other, and is playing the victim card.
Look at his reasoning: Oh I have entered an age where all, without exception, tennis players decline, and start to play worse or much worse than in their best years, completely normal stuff. Nah nah, tennis in not my priority anymore.
If he was a real man, he would hang up his racquet and go spend time with his family if tennis was burdening him so much. These passive aggressive remarks are disgusting from his side. People have probably forgotten just how many injury excuses (and other ) we have heard since Wimbledon.

I won't even mention what other pros should say in that case. You see, they are all psychopaths, but Novak is the only one who cares about his family. Knowing full well that there are pros out there who have an additional job or two, in order to feed their kids. Man, what a jerk.

I always enjoy PM´s honesty... but that could just be the case... anyway this transition from being unbeatable to being a mere mortal again must suck.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hear you folks, but he may also simply be telling the truth. I mean, I get that it isn't either/or. But if the passion is lost, the passion is lost. Speaking as a father, I know my priorities changed when I had my first child - certain things became less important, others more.

So he may be playing the victim card, but he also may simply be growing out of tennis a bit, or at least not caring about it quite as much. This is my concern for Roger as well. Will winning that elusive #18 satiate his appetite or further wet it? And for Novak: Will losing #1 and not defending some of his big titles rekindle his fire, or squash it completely? We shall see.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:

It takes more time and effort to take care of, especially when you have families.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Carol35 said:

It takes more time and effort to take care of, especially when you have families.

I would like your post 9 times, if I could.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The passion for the game is very relative and most of times depending the results. When they are losing more often and losing vs anyone the loss of confidence starts to make a significant dent in their mind going sometimes through a labyrinth trying to find the exit which sometimes takes time but it depends if the player wants to continue fighting or maybe not having enough guts to do it
Sorry but I don't believe what Novak says because he said the same thing when in 2013 the things did go not so well to him. He should be very happy that he has not injuries which are probably the main reason to lose the 'passion'

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/novak-djokovic-says-tennis-not-his-top-priority-now-1351757