Howzat! - Cricket Talk

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Aussies move back to #2 in the world rankings. Have to say I'm very impressed the way they have applied themselves over the last couple of series (Ashes/SA)... I didn't think they had the personnel and never thought Mitchell Johnson was a real top flight bowler... proved very wrong.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
yay..jimmy Anderson took a 'five fer' on the first day of the county championship..

and just 40 test wickets behind ian botham's record England test haul.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Martin Crowe's top 50.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/736377.html

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^I do not think you can have a 'top50' and not create aggro..I mean shane warne had a 1yr ban for failing a drugs test for a start..(should've been 2yrs).

and I don't see how waqar younis gets in ahead of dale steyn, waqar was awesome but fell away after about 25/26 and steyn can do the lot..accuracy, pace, swing in/out, mentally strong, slower ball, Yorker etc..and he is averaging 22.8 per test wicket in a batsman friendly era (heavy bats, stronger batsman going to gym nowadays, shorter boundaries etc).

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
^^I do not think you can have a 'top50' and not create aggro..I mean shane warne had a 1yr ban for failing a drugs test for a start..(should've been 2yrs).

and I don't see how waqar younis gets in ahead of dale steyn, waqar was awesome but fell away after about 25/26 and steyn can do the lot..accuracy, pace, swing in/out, mentally strong, slower ball, Yorker etc..and he is averaging 22.8 per test wicket in a batsman friendly era (heavy bats, stronger batsman going to gym nowadays, shorter boundaries etc).

I dont think there is a better bowler than waqar younis. He used to swing the ball and at a high pace and he was the person who mastered the reverse swing. Imran and all would occasionally do it while waqar would do it at will. In my opinion he is the greatest right hand fast bowler after Richard Hadlee

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^I know, but his career tailed off a bit..i mean Pakistan ended up dropping him more than once I think.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
^^I know, but his career tailed off a bit..i mean Pakistan ended up dropping him more than once I think.
He also had a lot of injuries in his career but still managed to take more than 750 international wickets in a career span far less than Wasim Akram. He got dropped after Pakistans poor showing in the world cup in 2003 but by then his peak was over . His best time was in the 90s where he dominated the world and took Pakistan to the world cup final

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tennisville said:
He also had a lot of injuries in his career but still managed to take more than 750 international wickets in a career span far less than Wasim Akram. He got dropped after Pakistans poor showing in the world cup in 2003 but by then his peak was over . His best time was in the 90s where he dominated the world and took Pakistan to the world cup final
too bad..close but no cigar. dale steyn it is then.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
some stunning test cricket in that Pakistan vs Sri Lanka match. SL won seconds before heavy rain started pouring . They just managed to beat the elements

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Incredibly sad news about the cricketer, Phillip Hughes, who passed away after injuries sustained playing cricket...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Incredibly sad news about the cricketer, Phillip Hughes, who passed away after injuries sustained playing cricket...

I saw this on the news. I don't know how often guys get hit with the ball in cricket, but this seems so random.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah it was kind of very unlucky. The fast bowlers fairly smack the ball down but even still, it hit him in a bad place. The bowler is only 22 years old. It's a tragedy all round...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This is extremely rare. He was wearing helmet at the time of incident. It is very sad day for
cricket.

This may cause a backlash in young folks choosing cricket (just like the concussion issue
in American Football is making folks rethink).

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, apparently the ball hit him more on the back of the head, so he may have twisted to avoid it and it hit him where the helmet can't reach, or it would cause immobility issues. Very sad. Geoffrey Boycott write an article about facing fast balls in his day here, I don't know if it's instructive or not, but it makes for an interesting read...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
he wasn't hit on his head..the ball hit major artery in his neck. the artery was damaged and too much blood was forced into his brain causing swelling and his collapse.

I mean his artery was crushed..I suppose a bit like when as a kid you used to crush empty drinks cans by stamping on them.

unfortunately his reckless and fearless approach to his batting has cost him his life via this freak accident.

no ashes tour for him next year. no nothing. he is dead.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
From the moment, the ball hit he did not have consciousness. He even stopped breathing.
They put him in induced coma while trying to treat him. Very sad indeed.

The worst part is everything was within the rules, the bowler did not do anything unsual and
neither did the batsman.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
on his test debut in march 2009 age 20yrs 3m vs south Africa..hughes scored 0, 75,

in his 2nd test hughes hit hundreds in each innings..115, 160, his mental allout attack technique was found out but at 25 (bday nov 30th)..was looking to relaunch his test career with a modified technique..

I was lucky enough to see some of his 2 100s on tv, he was a batting anarchist..screw the orthodox, screw the rep of the bowler, big occasion ? so what ?..he reached his 1st test 100 by slapping dale steyn for 6. steyn being world no1 rank bowler in 2009 as he is now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 2
GameSetAndMath Other Sports 24