Howzat! - Cricket Talk

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I heard some talk of banning bouncers. That would be a bad move.

yes..its a typical over reaction, it was a freak accident, can't ban stuff just because someone died (and I'm taking all the emotion out of that comment on purpose.) :(

we don't say ban cars or ban overtaking on roads just because some folk sadly die in car accidents, hughes was known for his fearless/reckless approach to batting as we know,

someone dies on the field of play and people cannot cope with that reality in thir heads..there's no psychological reference point for that, so folk just want to eliminate cause of the traumatic death..that's all wrong.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
No that's right, it was freakishly tragic and hopefully it never happens again, but it would be kneejerk to ban bouncers, or tamper with the sport in some way that reflects a sentimental and overly cautious reaction, rather than commonsense...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sad News indeed.. but as other posters have already stated - it should not feed into any rule changes. Cricket is a pretty safe game. Basically it was a freak accident. I feel very sorry for the young bowler who is of course, not to blame in the slightest but must be feeling like a sack of sh*t.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Lol! Why am I not surprised Strauss couldn't find a way to get Pietersen back into the England team. What happens when the Aussies crush them this summer? :nono No one to blame this time!

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I agree. But I will also say that the time to get rid of him was textgate. If they were willing to move on from that, then he's done nothing to merit this. The ECB is an institutional joke, and the fact that they can't get their best player into the side doesn't show them up in a good light.

I actually have a theory about textgate, which if correct makes me want to support KP. It's this...

I believe textgate happened because members of the team were sending derogatory tweets about KP. KP went to Strauss (captain at the time) to get the clique to stop (I believe that Swann and Broad were members of that clique), but Strauss was too busy mulling over when or if he was going to retire and couldn't be bothered to step in. Not surprisingly KP was enraged that he got no support from his captain and sent some insulting texts about him to friends of his in the South African team. Clearly they shared it amongst themselves and the media got to hear of it.. hence textgate. If this is indeed what happened, I have a lot of sympathy for KP. That's not to say that texting the opposition was right, but the way the English media make it sound it's like they're saying he was giving away trade secrets. He wasn't.. he was simply telling his mates that Strauss was an a-hole.

Bottom line for me is that the director of cricket should NOT be constraining a new coach with regards to team selection. There is no other sport, and no other country in cricket that would allow such a thing to happen. :nono

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Don't know why Pietersen is surprised. He's a divisive figure and never does himself any favours.

yeah lol. and he has got piers morgan as his ra-ra girl. :dodgy: nuff said.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
I agree. But I will also say that the time to get rid of him was textgate. If they were willing to move on from that, then he's done nothing to merit this. The ECB is an institutional joke, and the fact that they can't get their best player into the side doesn't show them up in a good light.

I actually have a theory about textgate, which if correct makes me want to support KP. It's this...

I believe textgate happened because members of the team were sending derogatory tweets about KP. KP went to Strauss (captain at the time) to get the clique to stop (I believe that Swann and Broad were members of that clique), but Strauss was too busy mulling over when or if he was going to retire and couldn't be bothered to step in. Not surprisingly KP was enraged that he got no support from his captain and sent some insulting texts about him to friends of his in the South African team. Clearly they shared it amongst themselves and the media got to hear of it.. hence textgate. If this is indeed what happened, I have a lot of sympathy for KP. That's not to say that texting the opposition was right, but the way the English media make it sound it's like they're saying he was giving away trade secrets. He wasn't.. he was simply telling his mates that Strauss was an a-hole.

Bottom line for me is that the director of cricket should NOT be constraining a new coach with regards to team selection. There is no other sport, and no other country in cricket that would allow such a thing to happen. :nono

I'll go with the Occam's Razor approach... If ten out of ten of your teammates think you're an arsehole then you probably are. If you're touring overseas you need a settled camp - that won't ever happen with Pietersen around.

As a player, I've always liked Pietersen but his whole "I am" attitude stinks and he really isn't good enough to get away with it. Garfield Sobers... he isn't.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I have no problem with that actually. My point is... the guy was forgiven for textgate, so it's beyond pathetic to use that against him now. Frankly he should have been sacked then, and this wouldn't be an issue. But there is simply no evidence that he was a disruptive force in the last Ashes. Even Swann claimed he wasn't. This is personal, and that's what I find so disgusting. Furthermore, when you have management dictating who the coach can select then something is rotten in Denmark..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/kevinpietersen/11606944/England-door-still-open-for-Kevin-Pietersen.html

If this is true then the whole things goes from farce to absurdity. It implies that the captain is effectively vetoing who a new coach can pick. Frankly Alastair Cook should have been told to keep his pie hole shut and play with who the coach thinks will be best for the team. :nono

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
^ I have no problem with that actually. My point is... the guy was forgiven for textgate, so it's beyond pathetic to use that against him now. Frankly he should have been sacked then, and this wouldn't be an issue. But there is simply no evidence that he was a disruptive force in the last Ashes. Even Swann claimed he wasn't. This is personal, and that's what I find so disgusting. Furthermore, when you have management dictating who the coach can select then something is rotten in Denmark..

The way the management have handled the whole affair is equally as stupid... and I agree about textgate.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Ryan Harris at the press conference announcing his retirement from cricket. "We all bowl in pain".. talking about pace bowlers. Same for sport in general. We make too much of injuries in tennis! Far too much :nono

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Aussies have been set 412 to win at the First Ashes test in Cardiff. It'll make for an interesting second innings.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
A thrashing in the opening test. Not too many people saw that coming, especially after the way England started, but fair play to them, a great start to the Ashes...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's a strange series. England win the first, then the Aussies hammer them, then the Aussies collapse. Not sure about the quality in this Ashes, it could be over without ever really getting going...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
60! All out! WTF! :laydownlaughing

It's a dark day for cricket Down Under...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 2
GameSetAndMath Other Sports 24