Howzat! - Cricket Talk

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions
For cricket :cool: I know its not popular with most of the forum members but its quite popular here

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
RE: The cricket thread

we will destroy the rabble from down under..can't wait.

tennisville

Major Winner
Reactions

JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
we will destroy the rabble from down under..can't wait.

you English . The ashes will be fun but the first test in the English season started and it is such a nice feel . I dont know why but I love watching cricket at the lords . It will be my dream to watch a match there and also at wimbledon

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

3rd test (of 5)..aust 303-3 after day 1.

AND FINALLY Australia show a bit of backbone as Clarke and co fend off jimmy and swanny and the rest.

still 2-0 to glorious England though.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

yes, jimmy had a rare off day on Thursday..

i'm hoping clarkes dodgy back will leave him vulnerable early on, he got 2 massive double hundreds last year I think..vs dale steyn and co :huh:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Keep posting occasional updates buddy as I can't watch the cricket at the moment, and you are my Henry Blofeld in the field.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

bwahahahahaaa :D Henry Blofeld ??..hmmm ok but prob more John Arlott..I've more a Hampshire/gloucs burr a bit like Arlott, I cant see me ever saying "my dear old thing" like blofeld likes to do. :snigger.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

who woke Australia up :puzzled..ok so the wicket was hard and the outfield spongy and damp which negated jimmy and broads swing/reverse swing but I bet somehow we don't get 500+..maybe cook and pietersen might like to get a decent score this time around..:idea::huh:

swanny gets a five-fer, broad takes his 200th test wicket..and jimmy posts figs of 0-116 :nono..a rare off day for the king of swing..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Every time I see the title of this thread I think...nada going on, as in: nothing but the sound of crickets. :) I keep thinking one day I'll embrace it, but hard from the US. However, all my English friends are mad for the Ashes, even the non-sporty ones. My best lesson was when I took an English friend's dad to a Yankee baseball game. As I taught him the rules, he told me the equivalent in cricket. :clap

I reckon it would be hazardous to pick sides....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^^on here you can support England then.

I don't know about tennisville, but it looks like otherwise I'm ok to support England, now that you mention it. So how are they doing? When are the matches? I think a bar near me shows them.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

its the 3rd test (5 test series) at the minute..england are 2-0 up and Monday will be the fifth and final days play (5 day test).

if Australia don't win the 3rd test match they cannot win the ashes :p as even if they won the final 2 tests it would be 2-2 and seeing as we won the away ashes series in Australia in 2010-11 we would get to keep them...:clap

but likely rain will ruin tomorrows play, for the first time this series it will rain. :laydownlaughing..

:snigger..oh dear what a shame.......

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

That explains a bit, but it remains very opaque. Are they playing it in England, then, this year? And I'm picturing an urn. Who's ashes are they, exactly? :shy:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

yes..5 test matches in England and then in November we fly down to Australia for a 5 test series, it is meant to be played home and away once every 4 years so we played the aussies at home in 1997, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2013..and away 1998/99, 2002/03, 2006/7, 2010/11, and this winter 2013/14, its only 3 yrs that last one because also every 4 years there is a world cup..but we were always playing an ashes series before the world cup and it was felt it was too much for the players to peak for 2 massive tourneys in the same away winter so they brought forward a series to 2013/14..

for some reason we play them at home in 2015 ?? also :huh:... I only found out yesterday, I was shocked, maybe misinformation on the radio..must investigate..:idea:

an actual urn exists from 1880s, its only about 4ins high, but a replica is given to the winners (original is fragile and in a museum on a velvet bag I think)..really its played for prestige and history..

so 5 test matches in any particular series, each test match is 5 days long.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Ashes retained. Job done.

This must rank as the worst Aussie cricket squad I can remember.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

bwahahahahaaa :D Henry Blofeld ??..hmmm ok but prob more John Arlott..I've more a Hampshire/gloucs burr a bit like Arlott, I cant see me ever saying "my dear old thing" like blofeld likes to do. :snigger.

heck you guys must be nearly as ancient as I am - invoking the spirit of John Arlott! :clap

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

bajana said:

heck you guys must be nearly as ancient as I am - invoking the spirit of John Arlott! :clap

Lol.

We'll have to do a GOAT cricket team and see how far we are all apart.

Sunil Gavasker
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Garfield Sobers
Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

12th man : Ricky Ponting

It's a bit light on the bowling attack. I'd consider swapping Michael Houlding or Dennis Lillee for one of the bats.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

britbox said:
bajana said:

Lol.

We'll have to do a GOAT cricket team and see how far we are all apart.

Sunil Gavasker
Jack Hobbs
Don Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Garfield Sobers
Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath

12th man : Ricky Ponting

It's a bit light on the bowling attack. I'd consider swapping Michael Houlding or Dennis Lillee for one of the bats.
Actually, I'll take Hadlee out and bring in Michael Houlding on further review.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

and scratch Ponting as 12th man... I'll have an all rounder in that role... any one of Hadlee, Imran, Botham.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 2
GameSetAndMath Other Sports 24