Gridiron - NFL/American Football Talk

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's kick this off... onside kick.

Who's your team and what do you expect from them this year?

I'm a Raiders fan, and don't expect a whole lot. We're going through a big rebuilding process. I think at very best we're an 8-8 team this year, but my prediction would be 6-10.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will be cheering for the new orleans saints and the new england patriots.

I grew up in new orleans right next door so I have always been a fan of the saints.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
I'm a Raiders fan, and don't expect a whole lot. We're going through a big rebuilding process. I think at very best we're an 8-8 team this year, but my prediction would be 6-10.

I don't want to sound like an arse but the Raiders have been going through rebuild for decades. :snigger

But cool choice though. I loved the great Raiders teams of the late 70s and early 80s. One of my favorite quotes is from George Carlin. "In football, I root for the Oakland Raiders because they hire castoffs, outlaws, malcontents, and f*ck -ups, they have lots of penalties, fights, and paybacks, and because Al Davis told the rest of the pig NFL owners to go get f*cked... Someday, the Raiders will be strong again, and they will dip the ball in sh*t and shove it down the throats of the wholesome, white, heartland teams that pray together and don't deliver late hits!"

My favorite team are the St. Louis Rams. I fell in love with the greatest show on turf - Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace etc. That was my all time favorite team. They delivered two of the most dramatic super bowls ever. The franchise has never been the same since but last season was a step into the right direction. Hiring Jeff Fisher was a brilliant move. I just hope they don't relocate the Rams to L.A.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know what you mean Didi, but there has been a sea change at the Raiders since Al Davis passed away. They are starting to run the joint like an NFL franchise.

Davis was before his time, but continued beyond his time. He was the driving force behind the 3 Lombardis but also solely responsible for the dysfunctional franchise of the last twenty years.

I enjoyed the Rams team you mentioned - The greatest show on turf.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
speaking of the raiders, a few names comes to mind:

1. lamonica
2. blanda
3. stabler
4. tatum
5. fred biletnikof

i used to read about these teams.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:

1. lamonica
2. blanda
3. stabler
4. tatum
5. fred biletnikof

They were before my time, but read a lot about them also - great characters.

I started following the Raiders around 1985, so my favourite players were:

1. Marcus Allen
2. Howie Long
3. Bo Jackson
4. Todd Christensen
5. Hayes and Haynes - the Double H all-pro cornerback tandem.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I should have been able to remember names like marcus allen and bo Jackson.

I don't really read about NFL and NBA history much anymore.

what I have read in the past is almost all forgotten.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Packers fan, I expect them to win the division and get 11+ wins but they are going to have a tough time getting past more well rounded teams like San Fran and Seattle. The Pack has Rodgers and that gives them a chance but you can't hope to win it all without at least a solid defense.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not a huge NFL fan. I follow college more, but I like the Saints (I have been in nola the last couple years). I also like the Redskins, and I follow Cam Newton because of his Auburn background.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
did you go to auburn general riotbeard?

No I went to a small liberal arts college, but I grew up in Alabama. Since we don't have pro-sports, everybody picks a college team, and other people in my family went to Auburn, so you know.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
britbox said:
Darth, what's your take on Matt Flynn?

He should do pretty well, he looked very good in the few games he played in Green Bay and he is plenty experienced. I am glad he is getting his chance finally. And at this point you know what you are getting out of Carson Palmer, injuries ruined him.

fedfan

Club Member
Reactions
Clay Death said:

1. lamonica
2. blanda
3. stabler
4. tatum
5. fred biletnikof

Don't forget arguably the best punter of all time in that era(after Blanda)....Ray Guy. I had the fortune of meeting and partying with Guy as we both sold for a national corrugated packaging co. in the 90's(he was in a Atlanta branch, I was in Columbia, SC). We met at a sales seminar in Chitown. About six of us reps(Guy included) rented a limo and stayed out to the wee hours drinking one night. Oh, the stories he told about Stabler, Madden, etc. Madden was the kind of coach that would go out partying with the team and those guys would run through a brick wall for him because of it. Madden had two rules: Show up for practice on time and play like hell on Sundays! Those renegades got in so much trouble they had a traveling bail bondsman with them at all times. Gotta love the Raiders back in those days.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

He should do pretty well, he looked very good in the few games he played in Green Bay and he is plenty experienced. I am glad he is getting his chance finally. And at this point you know what you are getting out of Carson Palmer, injuries ruined him.

Looks like he might have lost the starter job already. They're looking at Pryor on Thursday.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
fedfan said:
Clay Death said:

1. lamonica
2. blanda
3. stabler
4. tatum
5. fred biletnikof

Don't forget arguably the best punter of all time in that era(after Blanda)....Ray Guy. I had the fortune of meeting and partying with Guy as we both sold for a national corrugated packaging co. in the 90's(he was in a Atlanta branch, I was in Columbia, SC). We met at a sales seminar in Chitown. About six of us reps(Guy included) rented a limo and stayed out to the wee hours drinking one night. Oh, the stories he told about Stabler, Madden, etc. Madden was the kind of coach that would go out partying with the team and those guys would run through a brick wall for him because of it. Madden had two rules: Show up for practice on time and play like hell on Sundays! Those renegades got in so much trouble they had a traveling bail bondsman with them at all times. Gotta love the Raiders back in those days.

Guy should be in the Hall of Fame if they bothered to give Punters any kudos.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Clay Death said:

No I went to a small liberal arts college, but I grew up in Alabama. Since we don't have pro-sports, everybody picks a college team, and other people in my family went to Auburn, so you know.

Riotbeard.. R u kidding me.. the Crimson Tide(University of Alabama) is a pro team. Coach ASShole Nick Saban has more power than the Governor of that state

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Riotbeard said:
Clay Death said:

Riotbeard.. R u kidding me.. the Crimson Tide(University of Alabama) is a pro team. Coach ASShole Nick Saban has more power than the Governor of that state

I do think Auburn has had more undefeated seasons in the last 15 years.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
DarthFed said:
britbox said:

Looks like he might have lost the starter job already. They're looking at Pryor on Thursday.

Based on the pre-season, this year isn't gonna get better for the Raiders. I can't see a whole lot of improvement on last year's torrid season.

If they go 5-11 or less, I reckon Mark Davis will go after a Gruden return next year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Federberg Other Sports 4
Fiero425 Other Sports 32
J Other Sports 34
britbox Other Sports 365
britbox Other Sports 518