Football (US) - NFL

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, Carr is showing a lot of promise.  It seems these days that QB's really come into their own by the 4th or 5th year so showing good progress right now is a good sign.  Also there will be a void in that division when Manning retires which probably comes at the end of this year.  It will be fairly wide open as KC will never be serious contenders with Alex Smith at QB (sorry Billie).  Also, Charles might not come back the same as he is nearing 30.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
8787 said:
Yes, Carr is showing a lot of promise. It seems these days that QB’s really come into their own by the 4th or 5th year so showing good progress right now is a good sign. Also there will be a void in that division when Manning retires which probably comes at the end of this year. It will be fairly wide open as KC will never be serious contenders with Alex Smith at QB (sorry Billie). Also, Charles might not come back the same as he is nearing 30.

Why are you sorry?   The guys I like can't be the best in everything they do.

Nice to see you here :yahoo:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amari Cooper is looking the real deal in Oakland at wideout.  Good routes, good hands, good speed and a good young quarterback firing balls to him. Another big day against the Chargers.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Another big win for Oakland.  The game against the Jets is a big one. If they win that we are suddenly talking about them having a chance at a wildcard!

As for San Diego...they are the same old Chargers.  Rivers can be big time one week and stink the next.  I was at the GB-Chargers game the week before and Rivers was on fire, Packers were outplayed most of the day and were lucky to escape.  A week later...they were down 37-6 at home to the Raiders.  Same old Chargers.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I'm drooling over the Raiders, man.  That's how low we have sunk where a 3-3 record is laden with so much optimism.  I followed this team since 84/85 when I was a kid.  Used to listen to US Armed Forces Radio somewhere between 11pm and 2am to get live commentary on the west coast games back in the day, and then get the results in the newspaper on Tuesday and the NFL highlights on TV the following Sunday.

After the 80s we were a pretty poor team to follow other than Gruden's brief tenure.  I saw this as a transitional season and would have been happy with 7-9 at the beginning, but maybe thinking a little better now and wildcard is sounding good.  Maybe 9-7 could squeak us in there, but  I'd still be surprised.  Next season is when I think we're playoff bound but all progress in the meantime is great.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Oh my Panthers and Bengals are still undefeated!!  I am not surprised at the other 3 undefeated teams, but those 2.  Who is going to lose first?  Maybe we should wager that?  ;-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I got Indy pulling off the upset on Monday night.  The Steelers are without Big Ben but at home they could give Cincy some trouble but I expect the Bengals to pull that one off.  Green Bay plays @ Denver Sunday night.  Both teams got a lot healthier after the bye so it should be a good one.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
9380 said:
I got Indy pulling off the upset on Monday night. The Steelers are without Big Ben but at home they could give Cincy some trouble but I expect the Bengals to pull that one off. Green Bay plays @ Denver Sunday night. Both teams got a lot healthier after the bye so it should be a good one.

Well one of the teams will lose this weekend, hopefully it's not your team Twisted.   I think Patriots, Bengals and Panthers will remain undefeated.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9380 said:
I got Indy pulling off the upset on Monday night. The Steelers are without Big Ben but at home they could give Cincy some trouble but I expect the Bengals to pull that one off. Green Bay plays @ Denver Sunday night. Both teams got a lot healthier after the bye so it should be a good one.
You can do us (Raiders) a favour by beating Denver.  Denver are my least favourite team in the NFL to boot.

Raiders/Jets will be interesting too.  A good measuring stick for where Oakland are.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Patriots look like they will still be undefeated after tonight.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Pats are impressive.  They are in the same "F you" mode they were in following the Spygate cheating scandal in 2007.  I still think the defense is vulnerable but they are hiding it fairly well so far.  But the Pats have more or less changed the way the game is played with the short passing game.  It is taking full advantage of the "pussified" NFL rules put in place to protect QB's (overprotect) and lead to more offense.  The Pats have the perfect personnel for it as they can play off all the attention Gronk requires.  Right now nobody seems to be able to stop it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Ironically it might not be the worst thing for GB if Denver wins.  It just means GB will be more desperate for the bigger game (@ Carolina) the next week.  Also, the Pats are the only team that would scare me in the SB and if Denver wins the meeting with the Pats at home they might have a chance for HFA.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
chiefs, ravens, cardinals, Vikings, steelers, Texans, saints, rams, falcons, raiders, seahawks, broncos, panthers.  LOL  I am interested to see how many I get right. B-)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Packers got destroyed tonight and I'm not too upset about it.  Rodgers does deserve some criticism for tonight and hopefully he gets it.  The man's one weakness is he can get rattled if you get pressure early and often or if he throws an early interception.  A pissed off Rodgers is as deadly as it gets, and after a cold start in 2012 the papers speculated if he slacked off in the offseason.  After that he came out and put up 6 TD's on the road against the #1 defense in the league and didn't look back the rest of the way.  Carolina is the bigger game and they should come in pissed.  If they lose that one they have to worry about the division more than homefield.

Aside from that rumors of the demise of Manning and Denver's offense were greatly overstated as were rumors of Green Bay's supposedly great defense.  The defense has been helpless against the two pure passing qb's they've faced (Manning and Rivers).  Same problem that they've had for many years and will probably be their undoing in the end.  The only good thing is that this is a down year for the NFC.  It doesn't take a great team to win the NFC this year, perhaps having Rodgers will be enough.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Raider beat the Jets with plenty to spare.  Another good day for 2nd year pro Derek Carr. 4 TD passes, no Ints.  Real Deal.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Looking at their schedule they have a good chance for 9 or 10 wins.  In the AFC 10 wins would almost guarantee a wild card.  Great to see Charles Woodson still playing great at age 39, wish my Packers still had him.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
10604 said:
Looking at their schedule they have a good chance for 9 or 10 wins. In the AFC 10 wins would almost guarantee a wild card. Great to see Charles Woodson still playing great at age 39, wish my Packers still had him.

Yeah, Woodson is having a great season so far.  Always loved him. Real ball hawk.  I was pissed when he left The Raiders for the Packers in the first place... although I expected him to play a couple of years and then float into retirement.   Who'd have guessed he'd still be playing now and at such a high level.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
10606 said:
Twisted wrote:
Looking at their schedule they have a good chance for 9 or 10 wins. In the AFC 10 wins would almost guarantee a wild card. Great to see Charles Woodson still playing great at age 39, wish my Packers still had him.
Yeah, Woodson is having a great season so far. Always loved him. Real ball hawk. I was pissed when he left The Raiders for the Packers in the first place… although I expected him to play a couple of years and then float into retirement. Who’d have guessed he’d still be playing now and at such a high level.

That was a huge signing for GB and it turned out to be better than we could've hoped for.  Woodson dealed with injury problems a lot after 2001 and struggled to play like he did his first few years in the league.  I was happy to just get an above average cornerback.  But he had arguably his best years in Green Bay as he won defensive player of the year in 2009 and was the biggest star on the #2 defense that helped the Packers win Super Bowl 45.  I think he has cemented himself as a first ballot HOF'er.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
OMG, it looks like I missed only 2 games this week (and whatever happens tonight):  steelers and falcons.  That is probably my record!!! :yahoo:

Sorry for your team twisted but I am very happy that Chiefs won and they played so nicely.  Didn't even know they were playing in London (Wembley venue must be beautiful for football, anybody went there ever?).

How about the shootout between Giants and Saints?  Man, that was some game!!!

What happened to that Seahawks player that they wheeled off, Lockette?  That was scary to watch.

EDIT:   He had a neck surgery today and is out for the season:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14037689/ricardo-lockette-seattle-seahawks-ligament-damage-neck-surgery

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
I can't believe Panthers are still undefeated.  GB took their sweet time in getting some good plays, it was too late for them.

Tough one for your team BB, they were going back and forth in this one, losing narrowly.   Colts also edged out Broncos.