Federer's Schedule for 2017

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger is a 35 years old tennis player..the two top tennis players in today's game is 29 years old..his greatest rival who has a more than times h2h advantage is 30 years old..Roger will play a lot of matches against guys who may be 10 plus years younger..Therefore..the chance that he will play 80% of his scheduled events is a pipe's dream. I think he may play one MS event a month plus the grand slams..anything else is would be playing with house money..

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
I watched the replay. Pretty cool idea, hopefully more players copy, though not everyone can probably afford the a production team for their practice. The WTA did a good job of this during the finals, showing the players warming up and getting a quick interview with a legend court side.

The live Q&A thing was fun, though. Reminded me of Andy Roddick's 2nd screen commentary at some of the slams over the past year, but without the match obviously.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
shivashish said:
Who watched Roger's periscope broadcast today? It was wonderful, very special.

I watched most of it, he seems to be moving well judging from the footage only. Pouille is such a ballbasher hahaha, the guy overhits on every possible opportunity. He has such a weird forehand motion, not clean at all.
But we will definitely be able to assess Roger's form at the Hopman cup in a few days.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
shivashish said:
Who watched Roger's periscope broadcast today? It was wonderful, very special.

I watched most of it, he seems to be moving well judging from the footage only. Pouille is such a ballbasher hahaha, the guy overhits on every possible opportunity. He has such a weird forehand motion, not clean at all.
But we will definitely be able to assess Roger's form at the Hopman cup in a few days.

Well it as just practice, but it shows how Pouille 's game is exposed when he is pressured

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Funny thing is that, the 6000 figure is probably larger than the number of people who watched the finals of the circus. :)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK, Now with Brisbane points coming off, Roger would be ranked 17th in the coming Monday's ranking charts and so will also be seeded 17th at AO unless someone above him withdraws from AO (which probably won't happen as everybody seems fit and fiddle at the moment). I don't know La Monf's status. Also, Nick has some injuries, but most probably he will be healed in time.

With SF points to defend at AO, I expect Roger to either maintain his ranking or take a backward step by 3 or 4 spots at the end of AO.

After AO, he has not played anything until the start of clay season. So, I expect Roger to get into top 12 by the end of first quarter (due to points added from Dubai, IW and M). That would make sure that he does not face the top 4 players before quarterfinals.

He has just 270 points to defend in the clay season. But, he will play a "light schedule" on clay this year, if at all he plays. So, I expect him to just get into top 8 by the end of clay season.

A spirited performance in the grass warm ups and the bonus grass formula points should make a top 4 seed in Wimbledon. In conclusion, Fed's goal should be to make sure that he gets seeded in top four at Wimbledon. I think that is a very realistic progress chart and an achievable goal. :plot

If he wins Wimbledon, he may even make it into top two; But, let me not get too ahead of myself. :nono

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer's official web page lists Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami as his schedule for the initial segment of the year. It appears that he will release his schedule for later parts only after these tourneys are over.

Given that the above schedule includes Miami, I believe he will probably skip the entire clay season except for the Rolland Garros.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer's official web page lists Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami as his schedule for the initial segment of the year. It appears that he will release his schedule for later parts only after these tourneys are over.

Given that the above schedule includes Miami, I believe he will probably skip the entire clay season except for the Rolland Garros.

To say good-bye I hope! Nothing like someone going to Paris who has no chance! I remember Arthur Ashe going back in '76! It made no sense with his heel problem and game made for faster surfaces! No one shocked when upset early in the tournament! What a thing to do as defending champ at Wimbledon! Of course he was knocked out there too by Vitas G. IIRC! Back then there was barely a week between the tourneys! :nono :angel: :dodgy: :cover

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
LOL, Fiero.

Someone suggested 12 tournaments only for Roger in 2017. I think that's a bit slim, although I predicted what that might look like. If he's really playing IW, Miami, and Dubai, I'm guessing he's planning on 14-15 tournaments. And I also wouldn't be surprised if plays Monte Carlo and Rome, to give them one more shot. Or maybe he's given up on winning both, but I do think he'll play at least one clay Masters. Something:

Slam: Australian Open
ATP 500: Dubai
Masters: Indian Wells
Masters: Miami
Masters: One of Monte Carlo or Rome; probably not Madrid
Slam: Roland Garros
ATP 500: Halle
Slam: Wimbledon
Masters: Cincinnati
Slam: US Open
Masters: Shanghai
ATP 500: Basel
Masters: Paris
World Tour Finals

That's 14 tournaments and looks about right. I wouldn't be surprised if he skips either Shanghai or Paris, depending upon where he is ranking-wise.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Fed has also announced that he will play at RG. He will not skip it (if I am not in the draw, I cannot possibly win and so I will make sure that I am in the draw). He has also announced that
he will play in Stuttgart, Halle and Wimbledon.

So, he has committed to 8 tourneys so far.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Fed has also announced that he will play at RG. He will not skip it (if I am not in the draw, I cannot possibly win and so I will make sure that I am in the draw). He has also announced that
he will play in Stuttgart, Halle and Wimbledon.

So, he has committed to 8 tourneys so far.

There's no reason Roger won't reach at least the quarters at French. And that will be great for his rankings. That's the priority right before Wimbledon I would think.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
He's won Madrid before, though, so I wonder if he would prefer it over MC or Rome.

I have heard that the conditions in Madrid are a lot less similar to RG than MC or Rome (different clay I guess, also a little bit of altitude), so if he is weighing them as just preparation tournaments he will probably go for one of the latter two.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So let get this straight. So far he has played or committed to:

Australian Open - W
Dubai
Indian Wells
Miami
Roland Garros
Stuttgart
Halle
Wimbledon

I've got figure that he'll play at least one--probably two--of the three clay Masters between Miami and Roland Garros. So that's 9-10 tournaments. I could see him skip Canada as he often has, but definitely play US Open and Cincinnati. That's 11-12. Presumably he'll play at least one of, if not both, Shanghai and Paris. That's 12-14. He'll pay Basel and the World Tour Finals, so that's 14-16, with the range depending upon how many of the three clay Masters he plays (presumably 1-2, but not three) and whether or not he plays both Shanghai and Paris.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In 2016, as per the original schedule announced by Federer (which of course got derailed due to his knee stuff), he was supposed to play only one tourney on clay viz., RG. That was the original plan of Fed in 2016. So, it stands to reason that he may try the same plan this year.

This year, if at all, Fed plays a warm up for RG, it will be just one tourney and also that tourney is more likely to be Rome (because the surface there is similar to RG and also because it is a tourney
he has never won).