Federer's Schedule for 2016

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
isabelle said:
El Dude said:
To be honest I'd rather he skip the Olympics. I know he doesn't have a Gold, but I'd rather see him in good health for the USO. His best chance of winning a tournament is Cincy so he won't skip that, and Toronto is first, so the Olympics makes the most sense. I just don't think he should over-value having a Gold medal...actually, he already has one for doubles.

if there's one event to play it's OG...he can skip Toronto or Cincy, but not the most important compétition of the year, probably his last OG and maybe a medal in mixed or doubles ???

The Olympics isn't the most important competition of the year... :nono

For sure which other could be ? no Toronto, no USO, no Masters...it's only 1 year on 4 and it's a must for all athletes from all countries
I'ld prefer Andy to win a second gold medal than to win another

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
Kieran said:
isabelle said:
if there's one event to play it's OG...he can skip Toronto or Cincy, but not the most important compétition of the year, probably his last OG and maybe a medal in mixed or doubles ???

For sure which other could be ? no Toronto, no USO, no Masters...it's only 1 year on 4 and it's a must for all athletes from all countries

See all the other events you mentioned? They're the tennis calendar. The US Open is much bigger for tennis players to win than the Olympics. That's the measure of our players, not the Olympics. You don't look back on Borg's career and lament the lack of Olympic gold, or think of Federer and say, "ah yeah, that's all very well winning Wimbo seven times, but where the gold, eh?"

Sampras didn't even bother with it.

It's little more than a glorified exo, with some awesome selfies thrown in of the players dancing on the pitch with Bolt, Phelps and that Russian bird who leaps over a high bar using a long stick...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Haha, agreed Kieran. I suppose the Olympics gold is somewhat more desirable than a Masters title due to its rarity, but a fraction of a Slam or WTF. But if you look at who had Olympics gold it is only s handful of greats: Edberg, Agassi, and Rafa, plus Andy, Kafelnikov, Mecir and a couple of far lesser players in Rosset and Massu.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
El Dude said:
Haha, agreed Kieran. I suppose the Olympics gold is somewhat more desirable than a Masters title due to its rarity, but a fraction of a Slam or WTF. But if you look at who had Olympics gold it is only s handful of greats: Edberg, Agassi, and Rafa, plus Andy, Kafelnikov, Mecir and a couple of far lesser players in Rosset and Massu.

Didn't see any of these OG matches! I may have caught a set or 2 of the ladies when Henin won! I did watch all of Federer and Murray in 2012 expecting the same result! When it didn't happen as ordained with Fed getting his 7th Wimbl. and 17th major overall! Who would have thought it would be his last? He went just 2 years between 2010 AO and '12 Wimbledon! It's been 4 years! Are we to expect guys to roll over so he can have one more great run? :puzzled

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
isabelle said:
Kieran said:

See all the other events you mentioned? They're the tennis calendar. The US Open is much bigger for tennis players to win than the Olympics. That's the measure of our players, not the Olympics. You don't look back on Borg's career and lament the lack of Olympic gold, or think of Federer and say, "ah yeah, that's all very well winning Wimbo seven times, but where the gold, eh?"

Sampras didn't even bother with it.

It's little more than a glorified exo, with some awesome selfies thrown in of the players dancing on the pitch with Bolt, Phelps and that Russian bird who leaps over a high bar using a long stick...

Sampras isn't a good ex, he never bothered about clay season either, he's not a good ex of what a player must do
Federer would probably exchange one of his GS for a single's gold medal, it's more difficult to win and more precious than anything else
remember his joy when he won double's gold ? he's usually so cold !! it was surprising to see him show so much emotion so if he won single's gold ? oh my he would have a heart attack !!
playing for his country is much more important than playing for himself, all people are behind you it's really special

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
LOL at Federer would exchange a slam for a gold medal. No, he most definitely would not. That would leave him at just 16 slams which is way more reachable than 17. Winning Wimbledon for the 7th time in 2012 was way more of an achievement than winning any gold medal btw. Just for starters, the Olympics is only best of 5 in the final so it takes way less to win than a slam. Given how many are skipping this year's Olympics, it shows how worthless it really is actually.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
LOL at Federer would exchange a slam for a gold medal. No, he most definitely would not. That would leave him at just 16 slams which is way more reachable than 17. Winning Wimbledon for the 7th time in 2012 was way more of an achievement than winning any gold medal btw. Just for starters, the Olympics is only best of 5 in the final so it takes way less to win than a slam. Given how many are skipping this year's Olympics, it shows how worthless it really is actually.

Federer forsake one of his kidneys before he will part ways with a GS title

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
ITF has released the entry list for singles and doubles for the Olympics Tennis. Fed has signed up for both singles and doubles. We already know that he will be playing mixed doubles as well. So, Fed could be playing as many as 15 matches over the course of 8 days at Rio. Fed is usually good at intelligent scheduling. I don't know why he is messing it up.

I would strongly recommend that he drop out of the Men's doubles event in which he already has Gold medal.

However, lots of top singles players have also signed up for doubles at Olympics. Here are some: Novak, Andy, Rafa, Stan, Berdych, Tsonga, Cilic, JMDP, Ferrer and Gasquet.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
ITF has released the entry list for singles and doubles for the Olympics Tennis. Fed has signed up for both singles and doubles. We already know that he will be playing mixed doubles as well. So, Fed could be playing as many as 15 matches over the course of 8 days at Rio. Fed is usually good at intelligent scheduling. I don't know why he is messing it up.

I would strongly recommend that he drop out of the Men's doubles event in which he already has Gold medal.

However, lots of top singles players have also signed up for doubles at Olympics. Here are some: Novak, Andy, Rafa, Stan, Berdych, Tsonga, Cilic, JMDP, Ferrer and Gasquet.

Ya just never know when you might go into "a zone!" I played poorly in a 1st round singles match, losing to someone I didn't possible think to win over me! We teamed up for doubles the next day and won the event; I never lost serve over 4 matches with his poaching at net and tough serves! You just never know when you might go on that magic carpet ride of being able to do just about anything on the tennis court and it's gold! :angel: :dodgy: :p

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:

winning a 7th Wimbly wasn't his main goal of the year, gold was, he said it several times
16 or 17 won"'t change anything anyway, his record"ll be broken like Sampras's one was sooner than we expected
the fact players skip OG this year is because hey're afraid of Zika, they were all there in Shanghai or London
send Zika in London...they''ll all skip Wimbly !! I understand them when it comes to health, they must be careful
Rio is a bad choice : Zika + insecurity..not a nice place to be

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Winning Wimbledon is always his #1 goal. He'd be an absolute idiot if he rather have a gold medal over one of his GS wins. These players are remembered first and foremost for what they did at the slams. That is the postseason, their Super Bowl, etc. The other stuff matters but it is all secondary.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Winning Wimbledon is always his #1 goal. He'd be an absolute idiot if he rather have a gold medal over one of his GS wins. These players are remembered first and foremost for what they did at the slams. That is the postseason, their Super Bowl, etc. The other stuff matters but it is all secondary.
Of course. It's all emotionalism. Honestly, ridiculous. Olympic games tennis is not real tennis. If a player is very big in his home nation (Sampras wasn't) or he wants to prove his loyalty to his adopted nation, not playing Olympics will be seen as unpatriotic. They cry when they get the medal because winning an Olympic medal warms the heart with no guilt. Any mercenary is given a soldier's honor will cry. But he may have fought all his great battles as a mercenary.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
"I have made the tough decision to withdraw from the Rogers Cup. Toronto is one of my favorite events on the calendar and I am disappointed that I won’t be able to compete in front of the great tennis fans in Canada. Looking ahead, it is best for me that I take more time after Wimbledon. I look forward to coming back to Canada next year and I wish Karl Hale and everyone at Tennis Canada a very successful tournament."

Roger Federer

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
"I have made the tough decision to withdraw from the Rogers Cup. Toronto is one of my favorite events on the calendar and I am disappointed that I won’t be able to compete in front of the great tennis fans in Canada. Looking ahead, it is best for me that I take more time after Wimbledon. I look forward to coming back to Canada next year and I wish Karl Hale and everyone at Tennis Canada a very successful tournament."

Roger Federer

That is unfortunate especially considering Andy Murray has already dropped out of Toronto and so if he plays, he will be seeded #2 and won't have to play Novak except possibly in finals.

Roger basically was sitting out the entire first half of this year and if he feels that he does not want to play in Toronto as well, I think his body is in a worse condition than he lets the world know.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he's simply pacing himself for the long haul to Rio, playing three events there, then Cinci, then the US Open, all in the space of little more than a month. It kinda makes sense from that perspective...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Yup, I think the same. I'd rather he won Cinci again than the Olympics personally. Whoop their asses on his best surface, fast hard court.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:

Roger Federer
a proof he's old but not senile !!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Dear Fans,
I’m extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season. Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year. The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover. It is tough to miss the rest of the year. However, the silver lining is that this experience has made me realize how lucky I have been throughout my career with very few injuries. The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans remains intact. I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017.
Thanks for your continued support.
Roger

this sux...