Federer's Schedule for 2015

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer is expected to announce the remainder of his schedule for this year in the next few days. Here is my speculation on it.

a. The NA hard court part is simple. He will play Montreal, Cincy and USO. He will obviously not play anything else before Montreal.

b. He will play in the Davis Cup World Group Play-offs in the week after USO. He needs to play in one tie before Olympics to qualify and this is a home tie against Netherlands.

c. As he is playing in the week after USO at DC, he will need to take some time off after that. So, he will take a minimum of three weeks off. So, he for sure will not play in the Beijng or Tokyo 500.

d. For the rest of the year, I see three possibilities for Roger's schedule. One is the conventional route in which he would play Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and WTF. A more interesting possibility is discussed in the next item.

e. There is no way on earth that Fed can dream about #1 this year (recall that in the last year, he had a puncher's chance at it). So, he does not have to worry about fighting for $1. However, he would be interested in fighting for a #2 finish in the year end rankings. He is currently #2 in rankings and #4 in Race. If his #2 ranking is not in jeopardy, he would be inclined to skip Shanghai as it is a long travel and he never particularly enjoys himself there. Instead, he could add Vienna Indoor Tourney to his schedule. This year, it is actually a ATP 500 event (it got the slot as Valencia was demoted as they could not find sponsors). Till last year, the two post-USO indoor ATP 500s (Valencia and Basel) were held in the same week and so no one could play in both of them. However, Vienna appears in the calendar a week before Basel, giving players a chance to compete in both of them. So, Roger might decide to take four weeks off after the DC tie and then play for three continuous weeks at Vienna, Basel and Bercy. Then take a week off (no tourney for anyone that week) and then play WTF, thus calling it a year.

f. Roger has a lot of points to defend in the NA hard court season. A final (600) in Canada, a win in Cincy (1000) and a SF in USO (720) for a total of 2320. If he slips in the rankings, he might end up playing in Vienna in addition to Shanghai instead of as a replacement to Shanghai. This is the last possibility.

i don't think this will happen, but boy, if it did... i'd count myself one lucky sob.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer is expected to announce the remainder of his schedule for this year in the next few days. Here is my speculation on it.

a. The NA hard court part is simple. He will play Montreal, Cincy and USO. He will obviously not play anything else before Montreal.

b. He will play in the Davis Cup World Group Play-offs in the week after USO. He needs to play in one tie before Olympics to qualify and this is a home tie against Netherlands.

c. As he is playing in the week after USO at DC, he will need to take some time off after that. So, he will take a minimum of three weeks off. So, he for sure will not play in the Beijng or Tokyo 500.

d. For the rest of the year, I see three possibilities for Roger's schedule. One is the conventional route in which he would play Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and WTF. A more interesting possibility is discussed in the next item.

e. There is no way on earth that Fed can dream about #1 this year (recall that in the last year, he had a puncher's chance at it). So, he does not have to worry about fighting for $1. However, he would be interested in fighting for a #2 finish in the year end rankings. He is currently #2 in rankings and #4 in Race. If his #2 ranking is not in jeopardy, he would be inclined to skip Shanghai as it is a long travel and he never particularly enjoys himself there. Instead, he could add Vienna Indoor Tourney to his schedule. This year, it is actually a ATP 500 event (it got the slot as Valencia was demoted as they could not find sponsors). Till last year, the two post-USO indoor ATP 500s (Valencia and Basel) were held in the same week and so no one could play in both of them. However, Vienna appears in the calendar a week before Basel, giving players a chance to compete in both of them. So, Roger might decide to take four weeks off after the DC tie and then play for three continuous weeks at Vienna, Basel and Bercy. Then take a week off (no tourney for anyone that week) and then play WTF, thus calling it a year.

f. Roger has a lot of points to defend in the NA hard court season. A final (600) in Canada, a win in Cincy (1000) and a SF in USO (720) for a total of 2320. If he slips in the rankings, he might end up playing in Vienna in addition to Shanghai instead of as a replacement to Shanghai. This is the last possibility.

That sums it up well. Keeping #2 as long as possible is important for draw purposes. So if it is close between him and Murray at the end of the year he probably plays all 4 (Shanghai, Basel, Paris and YEC). If for some reason he is way ahead or way behind Murray in YTD points he might skip one (most likely Paris),

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He'll play DC as well as Stanimal, they have no choice if they want to be selected for OG

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

Good stuff, but dude you have too much time on your hands.just kidding nothing wrong with keeping up with your guy's schedule. Kieran, why ain't you the Rafa or the OP equivalent of GSM :laydownlaughing

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Federer is not playing montreal this year.

so his schedule is cincinnatti and usopen then daviscup play-offs so far..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
1972Murat said:
tented said:
^ He was the finalist last year, so he'll drop 600 points.

I think he is after the 2000 at the Open. Tough, but if he thinks Cincy is enough warm up... He has deserved the rest for sure, no?

True. He also needs to defend 1,000 points in Cincinnati the week after Canada, so I imagine that factored into the decision as well: Defend the 1,000 then win 2,000 more in New York.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray should overtake Federer by the end of the year. But Murray does have than October run from last year that he has to defend so who knows. Fed still has a lot of work to do during the next two months.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
Federer is not playing montreal this year.

so his schedule is cincinnatti and usopen then daviscup play-offs so far..

I did not see this coming. It is good, if it helps him to play better at USO.

However, he pulled off too late (meaning his name was on the entry list when it was formed) and so he will not be allowed to substitute some other tournament in lieu of Montreal for the purposes of ranking calculations. On the other hand, as he announced his intentions well before and made sure his name did not even make the entry list at Miami, he is allowed to substitute Miami by some other tournament in ranking calculations (despite it being mandatory as Fed has exemptions).

p.s. See related posts of mine in the rankings thread for subtleties involved.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
This announcement coming without the schedule for the remainder of the season means that Fed will not announce the rest of the schedule until the DC tie after the USO is over.

Since winning his first GS, this is the first year Fed is releasing his schedule on a piecemeal basis. Usually, h announces in November of the previous year itself (although in some years some minor changes are made after the announcement).

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
To drop 600 points just like that is in no way a smart decision, unless he is that old :laydownlaughing
I mean, if Tsonga didn't have his glorious run there last year, he would have definitely won it, is he crazy?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Puppet Master said:
To drop 600 points just like that is in no way a smart decision, unless he is that old :laydownlaughing

Yup, he is THAT OLD.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
There are old guys like Karlovic playing well and still making a decent living out of tennis and winning smaller events here and there but they are not slam contenders. Federer on the other hand still is but he needs to be well rested. It's probably not a bad idea at all.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
There are old guys like Karlovic playing well and still making a decent living out of tennis and winning smaller events here and there but they are not slam contenders. Federer on the other hand still is but he needs to be well rested. It's probably not a bad idea at all.

Do not think I have a different opinion. I am not just saying it explicitly.
Federer is usually going deep in every event and the Montral, Cincy and USO series are extremely tough for the top players. On top of it could be scorching hot.
Whenever I am going to Toronto to see the event, on the central court I feel like I am just sitting in an oven. Imagine how the players are feeling.
Remember how Roger's performance in his last few matches last year at the USO? Just a tad more lethargic and he is eliminated. I am sure it had to do a lot with how much he played upfront.
So yes, I think is a good idea to play only 2 events. Better chances at the USO.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I think that's what it's all about. Roger probably believes that he played too much tennis before the US Open by making the final of the Rogers Cup and winning Cincy and that ended up hurting him at the business end of the USO.