Federer's Schedule for 2015

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:
When would this tourney be taking place? If it's not in close proximity with IW and Miami it's not too big of a deal. It's odd, kind of random, but not a big deal.

This takes place the week before Madrid.

After Miami, Fed would get three weeks rest. Then would come three weeks of play in
a row, Istanbul, Madrid (if he plays) and Rome. Then a week of practice and then onto RG.

Scratch that, it IS stupid to go there then.

Yes, I agree. This is a bad idea unless he skips Madrid (I think he will probably plan on
skipping but will not announce it right away).

Instead of Istanbul, if Fed has chosen to play in Bucharest, it would be better. Bucharest
happens on the same week as Barcelona. So, he can start with this ATP 250. Then get
a feel for his game, take a week break and then play back to back Madrid and Rome.
The take a week for prep and then play RG.

But, Bucharest is not a new tourney and perhaps the Romanians did not have enogh
dough to spend on Rog.

If Rog can really play well in Dubai, IW and M (asking for too much), then it is a good
idea; In that case, he can skip both MC and Madrid. Just play Istanbul and Rome as warm
up for RG.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
It's ok if he plans on skipping Rome. But if he plans on playing them all it is potentially too much tennis ahead of grass season.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fed makes od choices lately. Overplaying, like he needs the $$ to put food on the table.
It must be tough for him with such a big family:laydownlaughing

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Here's a thought to throw in the mix. Maybe Roger doesn't want to slow down because it would, in a sense, be conceding that he's getting old, and once he starts reducing his schedule there's no going back. Maybe he feels that if he keeps a full schedule then he has a better chance of maintaining form. And he could be right.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
It's ok if he plans on skipping Rome. But if he plans on playing them all it is potentially too much tennis ahead of grass season.

Oh no. Hopefully you did not mean Rome. Rome is the one similar to RG. Madrid is the magic
box at high altitude. I said, hopefully he skips Madrid.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
its a 250 event ..4 matches max. why not play and enhance his chances of winning a clay title. maybe he won;t play rome, maybe he will play rome, he defo gives monte carlo a miss.

don't forget there's 3 week gap after f o..Federer will have 10days off minimum (prob longer unless he is in fo final) if he has a wed/thurs start at halle.

he knows his own body and is hardly ever injured, so I'm ok with it. btw Federer loves playing Madrid, faster conditions etc..

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
DarthFed said:

Oh no. Hopefully you did not mean Rome. Rome is the one similar to RG. Madrid is the magic
box at high altitude. I said, hopefully he skips Madrid.

Madrid is a better tournament for him and having the extra week off before RG could help his chances. Even if it doesn't, it would be better for him going into grass. I have to admit I totally forgot about the extra week off this season that JLLB mentioned. Roger's potential schedule makes more sense. Even with the extra week off he should probably not play all 3 of Istanbul, Madrid, and Rome, IMO.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Madrid is surely a better tourney than Rome for Roger. However, Madrid is not a good tourney
as a way of tuning up for RG. In that regard, certainly Rome is a better tourney. Also, since
Roger has never won Rome and it would be a nice addition to his collection if only he can
manage to win it, he should not skip Rome.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roger has 10 points to defend in both Madrid and Rome put together. The guy chasing him
has 1600 points in Madrid and Rome put together. So, by the time Istanbul begins, it will be
clear as to whether Fed needs to play in both to maintain his #2 ranking. If the answer is
no, he can skip one of the two (preferably Madrid).

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think Federer really deep down believes he can reach the f o final, the way he mentally lost interest in last years gulbis match when he didn't seal that 2nd set setpoint for a two set lead was revealing of his overall mindset, and he really did mentally check out of that match..

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed has tweeted his schedule just 5 minutes ago. He has not given the complete schedule.
He has given out his schedule up to Wimbledon.

He will play the following tourneys.

1. Dubai
2. Indian Wells
3. Monte Carlo
4. Madrid
5. Rome
6. RG
7. Halle
8. Wimby

He has decided not to play in the first round of DC, not to play in Miami Masters
and also not to play in Istanbul (there were rumors that he was offered 2 million bucks
to play there).

So, Murat does not have to make a trip to Istanbul in April/May to see "family".

I like Fed's selection though. In the end, he did the right thing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
It is definitely a good idea to play MC and Rome as these are two tourneys that he has never won
and it would be nice to add them to collection and you cannot possibly win if you don't play.
With Rafa being bit shaky and this being 3 set matches, you never know, Roger can still
win them.

Also, Rome is a good one in terms of preparation for RG and so it is a good idea to play in that.
I know that chances of Fed winning RG is less. But, at least he can try to go deep without
flaming out early.

Fed likes Madrid and has had good success there. So, playing Madrid is a good decision too.

Miami has always been a tough tourney for Roger. So, skipping it is probably wise too.

All in all, it is good selection. ATP 250 clay would be a good idea if he was not playing
MC. Given that he is playing MC, it is no brainer to ditch that.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I was sure for some reason that he was not playing both Miami and Indian Wells.

Too bad Istanbul could not convince him.

According to l'Equipe Federer'll play Istanbul (they announced it today)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
isabelle said:
1972Murat said:
I was sure for some reason that he was not playing both Miami and Indian Wells.

Too bad Istanbul could not convince him.

According to l'Equipe Federer'll play Istanbul (they announced it today)

Thanks Isabelle. Money talks.

Here is the announcement in SI.com which includes a video.

Now, he is definitely overplaying. He is now playing in five clay events in the clay season
and three of them (Istanbul, Madrid and Rome) in consecutive weeks. Forget about Roger
winning Wimbledon this year. If at all he wins a slam, it will be RG. :snicker

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Roger going to Istanbul is great for his fans over there, and good for the tournament's first year, BUT...why would he not get rid of one clay event ? Too much tennis before Wimby, that's for sure. Maybe he is counting on that extra week's rest between RG and Wimby.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Roger going to Istanbul is great for his fans over there, and good for the tournament's first year, BUT...why would he not get rid of one clay event ? Too much tennis before Wimby, that's for sure. Maybe he is counting on that extra week's rest between RG and Wimby.

Roger won't be very foolish. He will play MC and Istanbul. If by the end of Istanbul, it is
clear that his #2 ranking is not in jeopardy (it may not considering Rog is defending 10
points in Rome and Madrid and Rafa is defending 1600 in those two), he would be
skipping Madrid. But, he will not announce it now. It will be announced just before they
make the draw.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If he goes to Istanbul he will skip one of Madrid or Rome. He is no fool when it comes to his schedule.