Federer's Schedule for 2015

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Murat, it seems tickets are only 80 Turkish Lira for the final. Very cheap. You should start packing.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
If he goes to Istanbul he will skip one of Madrid or Rome. He is no fool when it comes to his schedule.

He has more chances to win Istanbul than a MS...he's realist this time, you should congratulate him (or coach Stefan) for that. He can take 250 pts easily

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He can take more than 250 points by just reaching the semi of an MS. I think "easy points" is way down on the list of reasons he wants to play Istanbul.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Is his schedule heavier this year than last?

I've said this before, maybe in this thread, but while I agree that Federer shouldn't overdo it, I don't think that reducing his schedule is necessarily wise either. In a way it is like saying, "I'm old and can't do as much as I did before." Maybe that is true, but once you start losing ground it is hard (impossible) to regain it, at least at his age.

I could see two more years of "full schedule Federer" - through next year - and then maybe a year or two of a lighter schedule. That would have been retiring after 2017 or 2018 at age 36 or 37.

I also really like the idea of Nadal and Federer retiring at the same time, a kind of "Duo-Goat" ceremony. 2018 seems about right, when Rafa would be 32.

A

auto-pilot

El Dude said:
I also really like the idea of Nadal and Federer retiring at the same time, a kind of "Duo-Goat" ceremony. 2018 seems about right, when Rafa would be 32.

I doubt either of them believe in the concept of goat.
Even those fans who declare a goat realize there is no way to prove it.
But I wonder which player values the slam record more.
That could decide who retires first.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:
He can take more than 250 points by just reaching the semi of an MS. I think "easy points" is way down on the list of reasons he wants to play Istanbul.

It's got to be the food ;).

It is for me anyways...

Mirka to eat a lot of lukums and become even fatter...

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
isabelle said:
1972Murat said:
DarthFed said:

It is for me anyways...

I'd advise you to say away from them, too, because they'll just make you say even stupider things.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to l'Equipe he'll decide at the last moment if he plays DC's tie in september (play off)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
isabelle said:
1972Murat said:

It is for me anyways...

I'd advise you to say away from them, too, because they'll just make you say even stupider things.

Well said! :clap

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Baby Fed is #2 seed in Istanbul. The #3 seed is beyond top 20.

Lol! Are we putting Baby Fed stuff in here too?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I see the fedster as being serious on clay this year (not that he isn't always but..y'know),

had a break after the ao..zoomed into action and won Dubai and final of indian wells, now another break/holiday/plus fitness training then he plays 2 or 3 masters on clay plus Istanbul and f.o. also Federer needs 2 victories for 200wins on clay.

does he think he can reach the f.o final ??????.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
federberg said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Baby Fed is #2 seed in Istanbul. The #3 seed is beyond top 20.

Lol! Are we putting Baby Fed stuff in here too?

No, no. This is Fed's thread only. I was just checking up as to who is his primary opponent
in Istanbul and ran into Baby.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg said:
I see the fedster as being serious on clay this year (not that he isn't always but..y'know),

had a break after the ao..zoomed into action and won Dubai and final of indian wells, now another break/holiday/plus fitness training then he plays 2 or 3 masters on clay plus Istanbul and f.o. also Federer needs 2 victories for 200wins on clay.

does he think he can reach the f.o final ??????.

My guess is that while not hopeful and anticipating, he just wants to be ready to take home the Coupe des Mousquetaires especially if no one else can/wants.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer says that he may not play in Rome .

But, I am hoping that he will play there. He said this even after losing early in MC and so he
must be serious about missing it. It looks like unless he falls early in Madrid, he will skip Rome.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Federer is expected to announce the remainder of his schedule for this year in the next few days. Here is my speculation on it.

a. The NA hard court part is simple. He will play Montreal, Cincy and USO. He will obviously not play anything else before Montreal.

b. He will play in the Davis Cup World Group Play-offs in the week after USO. He needs to play in one tie before Olympics to qualify and this is a home tie against Netherlands.

c. As he is playing in the week after USO at DC, he will need to take some time off after that. So, he will take a minimum of three weeks off. So, he for sure will not play in the Beijng or Tokyo 500.

d. For the rest of the year, I see three possibilities for Roger's schedule. One is the conventional route in which he would play Shanghai, Basel, Bercy and WTF. A more interesting possibility is discussed in the next item.

e. There is no way on earth that Fed can dream about #1 this year (recall that in the last year, he had a puncher's chance at it). So, he does not have to worry about fighting for $1. However, he would be interested in fighting for a #2 finish in the year end rankings. He is currently #2 in rankings and #4 in Race. If his #2 ranking is not in jeopardy, he would be inclined to skip Shanghai as it is a long travel and he never particularly enjoys himself there. Instead, he could add Vienna Indoor Tourney to his schedule. This year, it is actually a ATP 500 event (it got the slot as Valencia was demoted as they could not find sponsors). Till last year, the two post-USO indoor ATP 500s (Valencia and Basel) were held in the same week and so no one could play in both of them. However, Vienna appears in the calendar a week before Basel, giving players a chance to compete in both of them. So, Roger might decide to take four weeks off after the DC tie and then play for three continuous weeks at Vienna, Basel and Bercy. Then take a week off (no tourney for anyone that week) and then play WTF, thus calling it a year.

f. Roger has a lot of points to defend in the NA hard court season. A final (600) in Canada, a win in Cincy (1000) and a SF in USO (720) for a total of 2320. If he slips in the rankings, he might end up playing in Vienna in addition to Shanghai instead of as a replacement to Shanghai. This is the last possibility.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Actually, in view of the uncertainty over the ranking situation (with respect to maintaining #2 ranking and needing to defend 2320 pts during NA hard court season), I would expect Fed to not announce the remainder of his schedule in one stroke. He will probably simply announce that he will play Montreal, Cincy, USO & DC and then rethink about the schedule later.