Federer's Schedule for 2014

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is a recent interview (29th November 2013) given by Fed to one of his
sponsors Credit Suisse. In that he says that he will continue to tinker with the
racquets.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/about-us/sponsorship/roger-federer/news/on-court.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/11/en/roger-federer-it-boosts-my-morale-for-2014.html

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^lol..I just came back on here to mention that article..you beat me to it.

he seems more realistic in that interview..none of that good as 2007 nonsense..and the 95/98ins wand is still being considered.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
GameSetAndMath said:
sponsors Credit Suisse. In that he says that he will continue to tinker with the
racquets.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/about-us/sponsorship/roger-federer/news/on-court.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/11/en/roger-federer-it-boosts-my-morale-for-2014.html

Nice interview...a lot of the things he says make sense , and us fans might have been a bit too harsh on him, without knowing the full extend of his back issues and how much training time he missed because of that. At that level, even a tiny bit of off time kills your rhythm. I hope 2014 will be brighter.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, it is a sensible interview and a realistic take on the current situation. He will
probably end 2014 at 4,but it is not going to happen before Wimbledon.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
racquets.

Great interview. Cheers! Nice and realistic alright. Here's to a much stronger 2014.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
According to L'Equipe, Big Mac said that he would be surprised if Federer won more GS.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That was a straightforward interview in which he says some things that some posters around here should take note of: (1) he views Nadal and Djokovic as the top two players and not himself; (2) he concedes he is not as fast as he was during his best years, and his movement in 2013 was hampered by a bad back.

It seems he is looking at things sensibly and with an eye towards posterity. He is in the twilight of his career, knows it and is comfortable with it. He wants to win more events and be "in great finals", even if he doesn't walk away with a title. It is a healthy outlook, but not one Connors would endorse. :)

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
^^its the first time Federer has not sounded out of his tree with his odd comments.."i'm as good as in 2007" "apart from clay I feel the matches are on my racquet" "I was expecting a quieter 2013 after a busy 2012"..

oh right so it was part of your plan was it feddy old bean..to lose early on a regular basis and collapse down to 7 in the world rank charts (no6)

theres a difference between being aghast at his comments and bashing him..some people will bash Federer whatever he does.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
That was a straightforward interview in which he says some things that some posters around here should take note of: (1) he views Nadal and Djokovic as the top two players and not himself; (2) he concedes he is not as fast as he was during his best years, and his movement in 2013 was hampered by a bad back.

It seems he is looking at things sensibly and with an eye towards posterity. He is in the twilight of his career, knows it and is comfortable with it. He wants to win more events and be "in great finals", even if he doesn't walk away with a title. It is a healthy outlook, but not one Connors would endorse. :)

There was a cold war brewing between Fed & Novak recently before the most recent interview
by Fed that I posted in this thread recently. Fed indeed righted the ship in this interview
instead of escalating it. Get into the juicy side of this story via the following article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/novak-djokovic-refreshes-roger-federers-memory-162200751--ten.html

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Rumor has it that Roger is practicing with 98" stick and is planning to play with it
in (starting from) Brisbane. Nothing is authentic or confirmed. But, I did see some
pictures of him practicing in Dubai recently with 98 stick (blackened Wilson pro staff).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Rumor has it that Roger is practicing with 98" stick and is planning to play with it
in (starting from) Brisbane. Nothing is authentic or confirmed. But, I did see some
pictures of him practicing in Dubai recently with 98 stick (blackened Wilson pro staff).

It's amazing the metamorphosis over the years; going back to 70's with the original wood! I played with the Edberg version in the 90's before I hung it up in '01! I miss it; was my identity for 30 years!

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the big 4 are back in business.

I am expecting a very strong showing from Federer and Andy in 2014.

you can make book on it.

Federer is likely to do quite well in Melbourne. I would be surprised if he doesn't make the semis.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
hum :huh: where is federers 2014 schedule ??..

also anyone notice on the atp tour site the 2013 calendar is still first up, the 2014 schedule for the mens tour is still a pdf..

a pdf suggests its still a provisional schedule, otherwise why not ditch the 2013 calendar off the main page ?.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
hum :huh: where is federers 2014 schedule ??..

also anyone notice on the atp tour site the 2013 calendar is still first up, the 2014 schedule for the mens tour is still a pdf..

a pdf suggests its still a provisional schedule, otherwise why not ditch the 2013 calendar off the main page ?.

The 2014 schedule by ATP that you are seeing in pdf form is FINAL. You cannot read much
into them not putting it out in plain form yet. May be they want to wait till 2014 season
officially begins. Maybe some one is being lazy. That's all.

With respect to Federer's schedule, I am losing hope that he will announce it. If it does
not come out by Monday, Dec. 16th (which is exactly two weeks before the season starts),
I would give up on it completely. May be he just wants to take it on the fly and does not want to
announce anything. Anyway, players need to commit to tournaments six weeks before in
general and so we will know 6 weeks before if he is playing in a tournament in a planned
manner. But, any tournament would be glad to give him a wild card and so he can
even jump in at the last moment.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

It's amazing the metamorphosis over the years; going back to 70's with the original wood! I played with the Edberg version in the 90's before I hung it up in '01! I miss it; was my identity for 30 years!

I still have an old Wilson T-2000 and can still whack the hell out of the ball with it now and then. Small sweet-spot, though, and the ball can fly. Anybody here ever play with one of those? Your thoughts are welcome!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
shawnbm said:
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I still have an old Wilson T-2000 and can still whack the hell out of the ball with it now and then. Small sweet-spot, though, and the ball can fly. Anybody here ever play with one of those? Your thoughts are welcome!

The "T-2000" was little more than a trampoline racket! I knew someone who worked for Wilson and he got me one for $20! I hit with it for a grand total of 2 minutes before giving it to one of my younger students! I didn't have the same touch and feel with it! I've gone through 60 or more rackets over the years; definitely one of the worst ever made! Serve and volleyers would be "all at sea" trying to play with that thing; as I was! The best racket back then was the Comp I by Head; without a doubt!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
"I was expecting a quieter 2013 after a busy 2012"..

oh right so it was part of your plan was it feddy old bean..to lose early on a regular basis and collapse down to 7 in the world rank charts (no6)

theres a difference between being aghast at his comments and bashing him..some people will bash Federer whatever he does.

To some extent, Fed has not been lying. He knew his 2013 will not be that good and
he needed to slow down to "Preserve" himself. Read the following interview given by him.
As this interview was conducted in Feb. 2013, you know that the "preservation story"
is not said purely in hindsight. At the time of this interview Fed had only played
two tournaments in 2013 (AO - reached SF and lost to Murray and Rotterdam - lost
to J. Benneteau in QF). At that point of time, there was no reason for him not to be upbeat
based on results in 2013 and yet he gave this interview in which he more or less says
that he is going to take 2013 light and easy so as to preserve him for 2014 and later
(the only thing he forgot to say explicitly in this interview is about his plan to go
all the way to #6. ;))

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/slowing-down-im-just-keeping-myself-in-shape-for-2014-says-federer-8508843.html

Bring on 2014. Fed is ready to rumble.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It seems a strange thing to plan a relative hiatus when you're 31 years old, in order to preserve yourself for a better year when you're going on 33. I know that as you get older it takes longer to recover but even still, this seems an odd one to me. I imagine Pete Sampras is nicely rested and ready to return to the tour now, given how long he took to recover from his 2002 US Open win... :p

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
It seems a strange thing to plan a relative hiatus when you're 31 years old, in order to preserve yourself for a better year when you're going on 33. I know that as you get older it takes longer to recover but even still, this seems an odd one to me. I imagine Pete Sampras is nicely rested and ready to return to the tour now, given how long he took to recover from his 2002 US Open win... :p

If that was seriously his approach, which I doubt, it'd be beyond stupid. Theoretically Roger will be worse by the day and his chances will decrease.

I think it is just talk with him, he was awful last year and is trying to reason with it. And the back is becoming a common excuse too. The back was clearly an issue at points during the season but there was a lot more to his struggles. I guess in 2014 we will see just how much the bad play in '13 was due to the back.