Early Wimbledon Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hey GSM..what type of odds can i get for Haas.. i can put down to wager a couple hundred euros

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Nadal will be ranked second, means fed will be in the opposite draw of Djokovic. Nadal on Djokovic side of the draw would be ideal. I guess Nadal fans will agree with me though...

Reactions: Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Will Tommy Haas have to play the Wimbledon qualies or is he hanging out for a wildcard?
They got to give Tommy a WC just on general principle..he is one of the only two players that has defeated Roger in the past 6 months

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
They got to give Tommy a WC just on general principle..he is one of the only two players that has defeated Roger in the past 6 months
He can probably swap a WC with the Wimby guys.." Hey fellas, you give ma a WC, I will give one of your guys one at IW next year " :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And on grass. It's not like Tommy has been limping to his finish, and he has solid pedigree on grass (his highest win percentage: .647.) Had he not had so many injuries and a family near-tragedy, he'd have done more, for sure. It would be a shame if they don't let him play what will surely be his last Wimbledon in the main draw.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
He will get a wildcard and why not. Truth be told he's probably still a top 100 player but he is not going to be playing a full schedule at age 39.

But you cats are funny, I can sense that you have hopes that he gets a wild card and draws Federer. If that match yesterday was at Wimbledon it'd have been 3 easy sets if we are being honest. Your best hope is that he screws up Halle, then he has a lot to worry about due to very little match play heading to Wimbledon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He will get a wildcard and why not. Truth be told he's probably still a top 100 player but he is not going to be playing a full schedule at age 39.

But you cats are funny, I can sense that you have hopes that he gets a wild card and draws Federer. If that match yesterday was at Wimbledon it'd have been 3 easy sets if we are being honest. Your best hope is that he screws up Halle, then he has a lot to worry about due to very little match play heading to Wimbledon.
You're over-thinking it. I doubt there is anyone who thinks for one second that Tommy is going to beat Roger at Wimbledon, or even reach him. It's purely a sentimental call. If Tommy gets to the second round it would be a nice bow-out. I think that's what most are hoping for him...his proper good-bye to Wimbledon.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
This Wimbledon will be crazy. Fed, Rafa and Murray would be in good shape possibly. Djokovic looks to have zilch chances right now as he is mentally broken now. Nevertheless, we have two players primed up and a third one close to them in level. A few dark horses here and there will add to this mix. This will be fun.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I know you like to group things, so, while I'll keep your list, I'd draw certain lines:

Serious contenders:
1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Djokovic

Potential (but unlikely) winners (and I wouldn't necessarily agree with your order):
5. Raonic
6. Zverev
7. Kyrgios
8. Dimitrov
9. Cilic
10. Wawrinka

Dark horses/spoilers:

11. Del Potro
12. Nishikori
13. Tsonga
14. Berdych
15. Goffin

Goffin has officially withdrawn due to injuries. JMDP has withdrawn from all the warm-up tourneys that he signed up for due to injuries.
So, these two can be removed from Spoilers. I believe both Cilic and Stan (due to lack of grass chops) should be moved from unlikely winners to spoilers category. Finally, I think both Nadal (due to his recent history at Wimbledon) and Djokovic (due to his current form and mood) should be moved from serious contenders to unlikely winners category. The net result is as follows:

Serious Contenders:

1. Murray
2. Federer

Serious Pretenders:

3. Rafa
4. Novak
5. Zverev
6. Raonic
7. Kyrgios
8. Dimitrov
9. Stan

Dark Horses:

10. Tsonga
11. Nishikori
12. Berdych
13. Thiem

I guess the following could act as spoilers: Deliciano, Dreddi Brown, JJ, Mischa and Verdasco

Last edited:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^Cilic already won Queens... had a very good match against Federer last year at the quarters. That's more than most of the field.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't agree that Rafa is a "serious pretender" and not a "serious contender." In fact, I'm scared of Rafa at Wimbledon. Other than that, I like your list, @GameSetAndMath.

Reactions: Shivashish Sarkar

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Cilic already won Queens... had a very good match against Federer last year at the quarters. That's more than most of the field.

Good point. I'd put him on the Dark Horse list and drop Berdych, whose stock is dropping. Cilic still alive in Den Bosch.

I don't agree that Rafa is a "serious pretender" and not a "serious contender." In fact, I'm scared of Rafa at Wimbledon. Other than that, I like your list, @GameSetAndMath.
I do think it's foolish to discount Rafa, though, obviously, I'll be nervous to see the draw and his early rounds. @GameSetAndMath : it is a useful list, especially the spoilers, and I'll be consulting it when I make my draw challenge picks.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

I forgot him, did not mean to ignore him. I would put him in the dark horse category. Actually, I would demote Stan also down to dark horse category only.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

I would change Rafa's status from "serious pretender" to "serious contender", the moment he reaches QF independent of which other players are still alive. Until then he belongs to serious pretender category only.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I forgot him, did not mean to ignore him. I would put him in the dark horse category. Actually, I would demote Stan also down to dark horse category only.
You're going to demote Stan? He made the finals of the last Major, has taken on Annacone and has the motivation of the career slam. I'm no fan of Stan, just surprised. Personally, I'd demote Dimitrov before I'd discount Stan at a Major.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would change Rafa's status from "serious pretender" to "serious contender", the moment he reaches QF independent of which other players are still alive. Until then he belongs to serious pretender category only.
I suppose that's fair. He'll have to prove he can get into the 2nd week, and then he becomes dangerous. Early doors, he's only a contender in theory.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
You're going to demote Stan? He made the finals of the last Major, has taken on Annacone and has the motivation of the career slam. I'm no fan of Stan, just surprised. Personally, I'd demote Dimitrov before I'd discount Stan at a Major.

Wawrinka has played Wimbledon 12 times. His results are 1R 5 times, 2R twice, 3R once, 4R twice and QF twice. The problem with Wawrinka is that he needs a lot of time to line up his shots. Many players, not just Federer, can take time away from Stan and that is why he has miserable results.

Grigor has reached SF of Wimbledon which Stan has never managed to do so. Further Grigor has won 63% of his Wimbledon matches compared to 60% of Stan.

Annacone cannot produce instant changes in Stan. It takes time for a new coach to change players.