Early Wimbledon Talk

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure what to make of Nadal. The last time he got past the fourth round was in 2011, that's six years ago. I would actually give DP, Dimitrov, Raonic a bigger chance than Nadal.

For me its:

Big favorite: Federer
Second favorite: Murray

A bit more distant: Djokovic.

Then: DP, Dimitrov, Raonic

Then Nadal, Tsonga, Cilic, Zverev (a bit of a question mark, could be higher or lower depending on what he does in the grass season), Kyrgios.

After that it becomes irrelevant.
Yesterday during his presser, Rafa said that the pain in his knees has been too great since 2012 to allow him to play and move the way he would like to. My assumption is Cooler and damp temperatures at Wimbledon could attribute to what is cause his pain. I would think that maybe he would wear sleeves over his knees similar to what the NBA players like Step Curry, Westbrook and Durant wears to keep their knee joints warm. Any thoughts?

Reactions: AnonymousFan

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios was looking impressive earlier this year and has the game to win but given he has struggled lately, who knows what his form is. Raonic has a good game for grass but he lacks an all around game to counter big 4 and others when they are playing well.

I think Murray has momentum from FO and likes grass, Fed is very confident so i think it will be between these two. Rafa is hard to predict, he is always vulnerable in early rounds when grass isn't worn out, there are bad bounces and he is still adjusting to grass from clay. If Rafa makes quarters, he can win it but he can easily go out to a big hitter in early rounds.

Kyrgios has been struggling with hip and shoulder injuries. I don't think either are too major but agree, he could cause a lot of damage at Wimbledon especially. I think he'll win a Wimbledon title at some point.

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I know you like to group things, so, while I'll keep your list, I'd draw certain lines:

Serious contenders:
1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Djokovic

Potential (but unlikely) winners (and I wouldn't necessarily agree with your order):
5. Raonic
6. Zverev
7. Kyrgios
8. Dimitrov
9. Cilic
10. Wawrinka

Dark horses/spoilers:

11. Del Potro
12. Nishikori
13. Tsonga
14. Berdych
15. Goffin

Very good way of putting things. My list would be very close to that, but I would really correct for the grass factor and current form, so it becomes:

Serious contenders:
1. Federer
2. Murray

Potential (but unlikely) winners:

3. Raonic (I know he has not done much lately, but he is the current runner up)
4. Djokovic (big question mark here, position due to historical results on grass)
5. Nadal (Nadal bellow the two players above as his results on grass have been simply too poor, in fact #5 is still generous, no matter how well he played on clay).
6. Cilic (let´s see how Cilic plays on grass pre-Wimbledon, I wont´t be surprised if he arrives in Wimbledon being considered a serious threat).
7. Wawrinka

Dark horses/spoilers:

Zverev, Kyrgios, Dimitrov, del Potro, Steve Johson, Tsonga, Isner

No particular order here, in fact I would put a huge question mark over Zverev. He could improve his net skills, and I can see him being eliminated in a quick match where he takes too long to make needed adjustments.

You all know I´m not on the Kyrgios bandwagon, but his game and attitude suits grass perfectly. I erased Nishikori, Berdych and Goffin, and added Steve Johnson (my "surprise" dark horse, very good serve, good all around game and good net skills) and Isner, who can never be discounted here due to his serve and is having decent results this year.

JMdP is practicing that slice back hand for a year and maybe this could help him on grass. He already had good runs on the surface before...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Yesterday during his presser, Rafa said that the pain in his knees has been too great since 2012 to allow him to play and move the way he would like to. My assumption is Cooler and damp temperatures at Wimbledon could attribute to what is cause his pain. I would think that maybe he would wear sleeves over his knees similar to what the NBA players like Step Curry, Westbrook and Durant wears to keep their knee joints warm. Any thoughts?
Miss Carol.. can you please post the link regarding Rafa comments about his knees and past history at Wimbledon since 2011

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
I'd be shocked if two of Federer, Murray and Nadal aren't playing in the final.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dark horses/spoilers:

Zverev, Kyrgios, Dimitrov, del Potro, Steve Johson, Tsonga, Isner

I don't think IMO the top 4 contenders (Murray, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal) worry how thye're seeded as long as they have that designated SF slot against each other.

The unknown factor is which of the potential spoilers pops up in their quarter of the draw. All those players mentioned above could lay down and die or else decide to play lights out. In particular Kyrgios will probably not win the tourney but when blazing can take down any of the big bones in one single match.

MartyB

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
it will be fascinating seeing how Wimbledon will seed these guys...I know there's a formula and I think it's pretty much accurate based on the info shared here but it will be interesting what they do with Stan and where they will seed Nadal and Djokovic. Will they both be above Fed?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
lol obviously given his record there.

I think it was a smart move by Fed. He keeps the psychology out of it this way, something that might have hurt him back in 2008.
Denis.. I stated before the clay season began that it was no way Roger would play the clay season and it made no sense for him to jeopardized his opportunity to win Wimbledon because he was gonna be a huge favorite. However, his flock(Front and the rest of the federates said "Roger can win RG because he has this new juiced up backhand and he plays points a lot shorter, yadayadayda..)

Federer is brutally honest and I can respect that. That's why Rafa and so many players admire him as person and tennis player.

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox and Denis

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denis.. I stated before the clay season began that it was no way Roger would play the clay season and it made no sense for him to jeopardized his opportunity to win Wimbledon because he was gonna be a huge favorite. However, his flock(Front and the rest of the federates said "Roger can win RG because he has this new juiced up backhand and he plays points a lot shorter, yadayadayda..

Federer is brutally honest and I can respect that. That's why Rafa and so many players admire him as person and tennis player.

lol, there is only one backhand on clay that can hold up to Nadal's forehand and it aint Fed's. Clay is a totally different than hc.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sets things up nicely for Wimbledon - think there will be a real buzz around the tournament with Federer back, Nadal coming off the French Open title, defending champ Murray all in the mix. Djokovic still has big question marks hanging over him, but it adds to the mix, and then we have Zverev and Kyrgios who could do some serious damage. Most interesting Wimbledon going in, for a few years.

Reactions: Shivashish Sarkar

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sets things up nicely for Wimbledon - think there will be a real buzz around the tournament with Federer back, Nadal coming off the French Open title, defending champ Murray all in the mix. Djokovic still has big question marks hanging over him, but it adds to the mix, and then we have Zverev and Kyrgios who could do some serious damage. Most interesting Wimbledon going in, for a few years.
Let's face it: it has a bit to do with Fedal being back. I just listened to Jon Wertheim doing a piece on our national public radio, which rarely features tennis at all. It was on Rafa's Décima, the fact that Roger is back, the mysterious fall of Djokovic, (and they did cover the women's a bit.) Of the Big 4, going in, Nadal and Djokovic are the biggest question marks. Rafa has a poor recent history, but he has momentum, and a bigger break. And I agree that there are more interesting under-card players than in a long time. Surely the draw will be a nail-biter.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
How the hell no one of you "list makers" remembered to include M Zverev as dark horse/spoiler? He is carrying the flag of serve & volley and is the responsible for the (rankings wise) greatest upset of the year -- and you actually included his brother in the conversation, who may well end up as a -- paraphrasing Sharapova -- a cross-dresser cow on green ice.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think IMO the top 4 contenders (Murray, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal) worry how thye're seeded as long as they have that designated SF slot against each other.

The unknown factor is which of the potential spoilers pops up in their quarter of the draw. All those players mentioned above could lay down and die or else decide to play lights out. In particular Kyrgios will probably not win the tourney but when blazing can take down any of the big bones in one single match.

It doesn't really make much difference if you're seeded anywhere in the Top 4 with regard to semis, only 1&2 will avoid each other. if you drop into the 5-8 category it's a little harder.

Last edited: