Early AO 2019 thread

Are you able not to turn this thread into a Fedal war?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I love him so much, I can't, oh, I can...oooohh I am crying right now, fuck you damn bastards!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have a one track mind

• No, my goal in life is to turn everything in to a Fedal war

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, I am one of them and I hate that motha focka

• No, I like to to be a pain in the ass and repeat the same thing 239487342 times

• No, I like to be added to "ignore" lists

• No, because he had mono

• No, because he had bad knees

• Maybe. I am still deciding if I am retarded or not.

• Total voters

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Murray or Tsonga will need WC to enter.

monfed

Major Winner
Reactions
fakervic is the favourite. Dull is always lurking, ready to vulture if faker goes out.

Last edited:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I wonder if Sasha or Karen can make it happen, AO really needs a new winner, some fresh air would be welcome

Reactions: britbox

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I wonder if Sasha or Karen can make it happen, AO really needs a new winner, some fresh air would be welcome
It is not specifically the AO which needs a new winner, is the Tour period, which needs a new winner.
All the 7 active Grand Slam winners on Tour are now +30y olds.
The signs were not too encouraging last year either.
The best showing in GS to date of the Next Gen are the 2 SF runs of Chung and Edmund at the AO 2018.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is not specifically the AO which needs a new winner, is the Tour period, which needs a new winner.
All the 7 active Grand Slam winners on Tour are now +30y olds.
The signs were not too encouraging last year either.
The best showing in GS to date of the Next Gen are the 2 SF runs of Chung and Edmund at the AO 2018.

It's got to happen eventually! I don't see Chung or Edmund being in the mix though... My money is on Zverev or Stefanos. These guys have big games. I'd chuck Karen's name in there too... I think these will be the big hitters of the nextgen bunch. Borna Coric is also likely a future Top 5 guy.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's got to happen eventually! I don't see Chung or Edmund being in the mix though... My money is on Zverev or Stefanos. These guys have big games. I'd chuck Karen's name in there too... I think these will be the big hitters of the nextgen bunch. Borna Coric is also likely a future Top 5 guy.
Certainly will happen sooner rather than later.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The GOATs Rafa & Serena will be winning slams even in their 40's... Not saying that the new generation won't be getting slams here and there, but there won't be a "new era" anytime soon...

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I wouldn't say Roger is going to be less brutal than Novak at AO. You will soon see Roger's at the top of his game and he does way better at AO than at USO there's no doubt about that. The court's much faster and it suits his game. It's a bit surprising that most of you are quite unexcited about Roger's chances. Djokovic will be great but people have shown that he's beatable. Roger or Zverev will like the possibility. This are going to have a lot of contenders for this one though.

Reactions: The_Grand_Slam

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa would have 7 AOs by now if it weren't for his injuries. :facepalm: He has been so unlucky at the AO. :-( But I have a good feeling about 2019 :yesyes: Healthy Nadal is undefeated. :good:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It's been an hour and a half so far and no one's commented on this strange POST? Seven AO's? Unlucky? OMG help me! :help:

We're too busy pissing ourselves laughing at yet another embarrassing clown post from him.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's been an hour and a half so far and no one's commented on this strange POST? Seven AO's? Unlucky? OMG help me! :help:

Either Nadalfan2013 is (intentional) trollish humor or (unintentional) humorous trolling; either way, it shouldn't be taken seriously but rather comically, and to respond seriously gives it more validity than it deserves.

Reactions: Fiero425

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Don't feed the troll! Rafa with that game should have won barely anything off clay. Thank Roger for getting it started with his gifts at Wimbledon 08 and AO 09.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
But then you start with equally clownish "should haves," Darth.

Look, if we were able to create a completely neutral context that was completely without pressure or psychological elements whatsoever, say a computer simulation of Federer vs. Nadal, then I think the H2H would favor Roger, perhaps significantly so. I do think that "on paper" he is a more talented, skilled player than pretty much anyone in tennis history.

But tennis isn't played on paper or in a neutral context, and certainly not a computer simulation. Every great player is partially great because of non-quantifiable and/or psychological elements - some more than others, and I would say Rafa more than most, certainly more than Roger. In other words, part of his greatness is his unparalleled competitiveness and ability to rise to the occasion and, yes, the way he got into Roger's head.

This in no way denigrates Rafa as a tennis player - it is an intrinsic part of his greatness. You and some other Fedfans talk about it like it is a pox on the game, as if Rafa is somehow cheating or at least overrated because of something that isn't really part of tennis ability. I am saying, no, it is part of tennis ability - which is not only physical but also psychological. Any differentiation of the two is inherently artificial and impossible to do.

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quick overview of bad luck or injuries at the AO in the last 10 years:

2010 - injured against Murray
2011 - injured against Ferrer
2012 - unlucky because he was in control in 5th set, then wind makes him miss an easy shot
2013 - withdraws, was favorite
2014 - injured against Wawrinka
2017 - unlucky because he was in control in 5th set, then Federer plays stupid servebot tennis with his eyes closed and is lucky to land them
2018 - injured against Cilic

Actually, these are 7 instances, add the 2009 AO win, and he should have 8 AOs. So you guys are right that it's not 7, it's actually 8! :good:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Either Nadalfan2013 is (intentional) trollish humor or (unintentional) humorous trolling; either way, it shouldn't be taken seriously but rather comically, and to respond seriously gives it more validity than it deserves.
I think he/she has got an over-inflated sense of self too especially after what he/she said about 1 of their posts which I wasn't amazed & impressed by. There are some people on here who can & do blow me away with what they have to say but not Nadalfan though the poem he/she wrote was good & I appreciated it.