Cincinnati 2019 US, WTA Premier

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have always loved Sveta,I know she can be a Head Case at times:),she has been off the tour with injury,she is of the purest athletes on the women's tour,even though she is in the late stages of her career,wonderful ball striker and sweeps Sloane off the court 61 62.Sveta received a wild card into the tournament.

I like her too. WC is paying off, she on a mission here. Would like to see her win over Pliskova.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
Well. When I saw Kuznetsova looming for Sloane I figured it wouldn't go well. But I hoped for another battle. But having watched the match, Sloane's confidence is clearly just completely shot. As it should be. She hasn't been able to get herself going all year. It's strange. Because you know she's better than this. Even if I now accept a bit more that, with her game style, and the way she chooses to play, despite the fact that she could probably play differently (more powerful), she'll never be a dominant force. I'm not sure she wants it enough. Compare her with someone like Halep. Sloane will fall out of the top 10 after this week and possibly be seeded lower than 12 at the US Open. And she deserves that because she's been well below her best and well below a top 30 level of play all year. But someone like Halep. She's diminutive. And people have talked for years about her struggling mentally at the slams. But even before she got to number 1 or got the RG win last year, she was always winning tournaments and going late in tournaments. She always had the mental fortitude to fight in every match. And Sloane approaches all of life differently. I'll give her that. I think she thinks she needs to keep a level head at all times. That if she gets too fired up that just leads to the let down when you inevitably come down from your high (whether it be high on anger or excitement or whatever). But while her game is slightly bigger than Halep's and can be just as consistent and probably has more variety, it rarely is as consistent because she's never been able to match the focus of Halep. It's Sloane who struggles mentally. She has 6 titles while Halep has 19. Furthermore, Halep has lost 17 finals, to Sloane's 3 losses in finals. Sloane Stephens, a grand slam champion, at 26, has made less than 9 tournament finals in her entire career. That is baffling. Baffling.

But moving on. Her confidence is clearly gone. She doesn't trust herself at all. And that means she struggles to do what she needs to do in matches to get the confidence back. Her footwork is nowhere to be found. She'll never be a top server. But she could serve better. She's basically just rolled it in all year long. That in particular is driving me NUTS. She's impatient. She's not constructing points. She's reacting. She's only aggressive once she's already got her back against the wall. And after a point or two, her opponent adjusts and finishes her off.

She'll be lucky to make the 3rd round at the US Open. I wouldn't be surprised to see her fall in the first round. A no good, all around waste of a season.

Good for Kuznetsova today though. Glad she's healthy and back. Glad to see her getting some wins even if it's at the expense of Sloane.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tricky match for Osaka against Hsieh Su-Wei she prevails in 3 sets 76(3) 57 62

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Keys is basically in control, but trying hard enough to lose it. Go, Maddy!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great finish by Maddy. She deserved that match, but hard fought by Halep.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Q/finals are set

Barty v Sakkari
Pliskova v Kuznetsova
V.Williams v Keys
Osaka v Kenin

Still a chance for either Barty or Pliskova to reach the No1 ranking,

If Osaka loses in the q/finals.Barty or Pliskova would need to reach the final.
If Osaka loses in the s/finals,Barty or Pliskova would need to win the title.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Barty d Sakkari 57 62 60......the 3rd set from Ash was just a delight to watch,just clean hitting.Good overall match.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Pliskova served for the match at 5-4 second set, now 5-6 and 2 SPs for Kuznetsova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Sveta a great fightback,she was down 3-5 in the 2nd set,played a great t/break in the 2nd set 76(2) and went on to win 6-3 in 3rd set,after a long time off the tour with injury she has made the s/final of Cincy.Well done Sveta!

Kutznetsova d Pliskova 36 76(2) 63

Reactions: tented

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kuznetzova won what looked like almost a lost match. I managed to catch end of 2nd set. She turned it around and won at the end. Well done. Watching Osaka Kenin now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Tight first set between Kenin v Osaka,love the grit and determination of Kenin who wins the 1st set 64

Going to another decider.....Osaka won the 2nd set 61

Last edited:

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Osaka retired...

She took a MTO and was on the court getting treatment for 7 mins plus at 0-1 40-40 third set

I stopped watching when they were speculating about cramps, no idea what happened after she came back

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Osaka retired...

She took a MTO and was on the court getting treatment for 7 mins plus at 0-1 40-40 third set

I stopped watching when they were speculating about cramps, no idea what happened after she came back

I just came back from a run and just saw the retirement,considering she is the defending champion at the USO.I feel it is a wise move.

Reason for retirement left knee felt sore when she landed after serving.

Kenin d Osaka 64 16 2-0 by retirement

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ash Barty is just one win away from claiming the No 1 ranking.....I don;t want to Hex her:)....though softly Oi,Oi,Oi,

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Keys wins the 1st set 62 over Venus,first serve is very strong so far,Madison lost only one point on her first serve,Venus really had no answer.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maddy was having trouble closing V out, but Venus donates the break with DF.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Keys d V.Williams 62 63....very solid performance from Keys,who plays Kenin in the s/final

Other s/final Barty will play Kuznestova,if she does defeat she will return to the No1 ranking

Reactions: tented and Moxie

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Great finish by Maddy. She deserved that match, but hard fought by Halep.
Moxie, I think it was the crowd's encouragement that help her bring it home. The TV doesn't do the level of tennis they played justice. The speed of these women were astounding..The ladies tennis was far more interesting than the men, at this great venue for tennis. IMO . By far, the BEST bargain in the US for tennis.

Reactions: Moxie