12 Belinda Bencic
13 Angelique Kerber
14 Johanna Konta
15 Qiang Wang
16 Madison Keys

DSC02586 copy
by Yi-Liang (Lucas) Liu, on Flickr

The Tournament:

The Cincinnati Masters (currently sponsored by the Western & Southern Financial Group and called the Western & Southern Open) is the second largest summer tennis event in the U.S. after the U.S. Open, as its men's portion is one of nine elite Masters 1000 tournaments on the ATP World Tour and its women's event is one of five Premier 5 events on the WTA Tour.

The tournament began in 1899 and is the oldest tennis tournament in the United States.

About Cincinnati

Cincinnati is the third largest city in Ohio. As the first major US city founded after the American Revolution, as well as its first major inland city, it is considered the first "purely American city."

Though its influence has fallen off since its heyday in the 19th Century, it still carries political importance, as well as being a major sports hub, home of the baseball Reds and NFL Bengals. The city can boast on its art museum, which offers fine works of European and modern artists, as well as great examples from classical antiquity. Its opera company is the second oldest in the US. Famous Cincinnatians include: Sarah Jessica Parker, Steven Spielberg, Peter Frampton and the Isley Brothers.

Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Undergrowth_with_Two_Figures_(F773).jpg

Tourism Guide:

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Bianca Andresscu has withdrawn saying she really has to listen to her body right now,the past week hasn't been easy on it,so I'm going to listen to it and hopefully next year I'll be good to go.

Fefe26

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Hope to see another match with serena and naomi.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Good to see Venus with a win,her first win since Birmingham,over Lauren Davis 75 62,her draw is not easy she now plays defending champion Kiki Bertens next.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Amanda Anisimova has withdrawn due to a back injury.Barbora Strycova is into the main draw as a lucky loser to play Daria Kasatkia in 1R.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Ostapenko's live ranking currently 74 following today's loss to Putintseva... yikes

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's hard to see Caroline Wozniacki losing. I know she loses to good players but the way she does it - well. No self confidence, too many errors in her game, poor serving - the glimpse in her eyes has gone. I think we'll see the beginning of the end from now on. One little fact you have to have is that 14 years ago as 15 year old she had her first WTA match in Cincy against the later winner Patty Schnyder so she's made the circle.

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Serena playing Diyas tonight

I didn’t pay attention with all the matches going on and thought she had pulled out for some reason

Keys took out Muguruza, Kontaveit defeated Kerber

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big battle between Kvitova and Sakkari. I like both, but kinda rooting for the kid.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just got back home to the news that Serena Williams withdraws with back issues,she will be replaced with Jessica Pegula,a lucky loser.I saw Serena yesterday practice at Cincy,however these back issues still persist.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, Sloane won, but she sure didn't make it easy on herself.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Seems like the coffee request from Vee when she took a moment with her coach worked she is up 4-1 2nd set against Vekic,Vekic won the 1st set 62.

Remember at the Hopman Cup a few years back when Serena asked for a coffee:)

Vee wins the 2nd set 63 going the distance in this match.

Well done to Venus (with a little help from coffee:) defeats D.Vekic 26 63 63....!

Venus has made the q/finals with this win,where she will play either Halep or Keys.

Last edited:
Reactions: don_fabio

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What's up with Kuznetsova? She connected a few wins in Toronto and here too. Now giving hard time to Stephens. Looks like a russian veteran still has something to prove. She is only 34, but been around for ages.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What's up with Kuznetsova? She connected a few wins in Toronto and here too. Now giving hard time to Stephens. Looks like a russian veteran still has something to prove. She is only 34, but been around for ages.

I have always loved Sveta,I know she can be a Head Case at times:),she has been off the tour with injury,she is of the purest athletes on the women's tour,even though she is in the late stages of her career,wonderful ball striker and sweeps Sloane off the court 61 62.Sveta received a wild card into the tournament.

Reactions: don_fabio