BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2020 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
South Korea has not done large scale population quarantines, however, they have done massive FREE testing for the virus to the populace, in fact I'm sure most of us have seen the drive thru testing sites S. Korea has put up to make it as convenient as possible. Within hours people know the results. They have done over 200,000 tests and have set up a nationwide education and information online network to the public regarding the virus. This is a Western-style Government that has a focus coordinated effort.

Population-wise, the South Korean 200,000+ tests would be the equivalent of over a million Americans tested for the virus.

The American "count" of testing so far? 3,000.:astonished-face:

Numbers don't lie.
This comes from politicizing the virus. How can it be that we don't have enough tests in the US?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It seems Covid-19 has done the impossible: replaced the Fedalovic Wars for derailing threads. I feel we need a poll. :soon-arrow:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It's Never too late Bro. There's always hope..

Yeah, of course. Didn't mean to be all pessimistic but truly they should have stopped flights to and from Italy a lot sooner 'cos it most definitely made things a lot worse in Europe than if it was kept under control better earlier. This won't last forever of course and obviously it's first and foremost a very sad time especially for people losing grandparents and loved ones. I guess in most cases as it tends to be people they say over age 81 who are dying, it's people's grandparents dying but who's to say they wouldn't have lived another 10+ years some of them. Sad times. Also really looking like a truly crap year for sport. I can see it potentially being a year of no more sport quite honestly at the rate things are progressing. RG and Wmbledon most likely are a no go. France has 1784 confirmed cases now, 372 more since yesterday so imagine the total by May. The UK have 382 confirmed as of now, 61 more than yesterday. A good deal less than France but realistically enough for them to pull the plug on both RG and Wimbledon. 587 in Japan so the Olympics are looking unlikely too. The numbers everwhwre will have gone up a lot by July I'd imagine. How crap is that. The USO is so far away that I think we can kiss that goodbye too given how the numbers will have spiked by then.

The numbers have shot up a ton in Spain too. They didn't give a shit about it a few weeks back with only around 10 cases and now they have 1695 and counting. A friend in work was going to do the Barcelona marathon and it's postponed to October now.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Jelenafan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, of course. Didn't mean to be all pessimistic but truly they should have stopped flights to and from Italy a lot sooner 'cos it most definitely made things a lot worse in Europe than if it was kept under control better earlier. This won't last forever of course and obviously it's first and foremost a very sad time especially for people losing grandparents and loved ones. I guess in most cases as it tends to be people they say over age 81 who are dying, it's people's grandparents dying but who's to say they wouldn't have lived another 10+ years some of them. Sad times. Also really looking like a truly crap year for sport. I can see it potentially being a year of no more sport quite honestly at the rate things are progressing. RG and Wmbledon most likely are a no go. France has 1784 confirmed cases now, 372 more since yesterday so imagine the total by May. The UK have 382 confirmed as of now, 61 more than yesterday. A good deal less than France but realistically enough for them to pull the plug on both RG and Wimbledon. 587 in Japan so the Olympics are looking unlikely too. The numbers everwhwre will have gone up a lot by July I'd imagine. How crap is that. The USO is so far away that I think we can kiss that goodbye too given how the numbers will have spiked by then.

The numbers have shot up a ton in Spain too. They didn't give a shit about it a few weeks back with only around 10 cases and now they have 1695 and counting. A friend in work was going to do the Barcelona marathon and it's postponed to October now.

It's so hard to know when you take the extraordinary measure of stopping flights to/from a place like Italy, within the EU, but they have been as proactive as one might have expected. I'm not completely surprised you're writing off RG, but Wimbledon does seem a long way away yet. I started a thread for this, if you like. I do wonder how much of a wash this year will be for many sports, though, at the least of concerns, but since this is a tennis forum....

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It's so hard to know when you take the extraordinary measure of stopping flights to/from a place like Italy, within the EU, but they have been as proactive as one might have expected. I'm not completely surprised you're writing off RG, but Wimbledon does seem a long way away yet. I started a thread for this, if you like. I do wonder how much of a wash this year will be for many sports, though, at the least of concerns, but since this is a tennis forum....

Hey, I might not be a Nadal fan but I actually love clay so I'll very much miss RG but it's looking very likely to be a no go imo. I think things will have spiked enough for Wimbledon to be cancelled too tbh. I'll be sad to see any more tennis cancelled but realistically the majority of it could well be. Yeah, will post in the other thread from now on but gotta go to bed now.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey, I might not be a Nadal fan but I actually love clay so I'll very much miss RG but it's looking very likely to be a no go imo. I think things will have spiked enough for Wimbledon to be cancelled too tbh. I'll be sad to see any more tennis cancelled but realistically the majority of it could well be. Yeah, will post in the other thread from now on but gotta go to bed now.
Sorry...I was afraid it might read that way, but I'm really only thinking about timing, not tennis partisanship. No offense to you at all. I'm just a little surprised at how long you're seeing this going.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Remember Front..warmer temps may slow the progress of the virus

Fingers crossed, AP, but it's already quite warm in many parts of Spain and they're affected quite badly so I'm not convinced till the temperatures go way up. 25c/77f in Madrid today which is pretty warm and they have a lot of cases in Spain.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Fingers crossed, AP, but it's already quite warm in many parts of Spain and they're affected quite badly so I'm not convinced till the temperatures go way up. 25c/77f in Madrid today which is pretty warm and they have a lot of cases in Spain.
I definitely understand and have my fingers crossed also