Australian Open 2024 [Men] - Grand Slam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I got up at 4-1 Zverev in the 3rd. I wasn't going to bother until Charley broke. Not sorry I missed what sounds like it went before.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
To be honest, I find there are players that are best of three and best of five and a few players are good at both. Zverev is definitely one of those players that falls in the best of three sets. I find him notoriously bad in the best of five format.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest, I find there are players that are best of three and best of five and a few players are good at both. Zverev is definitely one of those players that falls in the best of three sets. I find him notoriously bad in the best of five format.
Yup. After losing that 4-1 lead in set 3, the match was over. It'll take a miracle for him to win now knowing he should have won it easily in 3 sets.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yup. After losing that 4-1 lead in set 3, the match was over. It'll take a miracle for him to win now knowing he should have won it easily in 3 sets.
He should have, and he's still a set away. If he loses this, it has to be mostly mental.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Zverev managed to hold off Carlos, but I think he is getting his clock cleaned by the rest of the players in the draw.
Did you see Mevedev today?? He barely beat Hubi. And Zverev just beat one of the best players on tour. Both guys have had long matches and run a lot of extra miles. I highly doubt Daniil will be cleaning the German cuckoo clock.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Did you see Mevedev today?? Both guys in this half of the draw have had long matches and run a lot of extra miles. I highly doubt Daniil will be cleaning the German cuckoo clock.
Eh, I think Medvedev holds up better mentally than Zverev. While the physical may come into play, I think more suits Meddy than Zverev.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Eh, I think Medvedev holds up better mentally than Zverev. While the physical may come into play, I think more suits Meddy than Zverev.
Well you said he would clean Zverev’s clock… so that means an easy three. We’ll see. I had Carlos and Sinner for the final. Zverev played two almost perfect sets, withstood the full force of Carlos‘ fight back and somehow managed to grit out a win in the fourth.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Only following the scores at work and shocked Zverev won. Great result for him. Should have done it in 3 but all good. Thought after bottling set 3 he was toast.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Only following the scores at work and shocked Zverev won. Great result for him. Should have done it in 3 but all good. Thought after bottling set 3 he was toast.
Yeah, me too. Think Zverev surprised all how he bounced back after he lost the 3rd. He probably surprised himself too. Now he has to back up this win and beat Meddy or this whole effort was for nothing.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, me too. Think Zverev surprised all how he bounced back after he lost the 3rd. He probably surprised himself too. Now he has to back up this win and beat Meddy or this whole effort was for nothing.
Well, not for "nothing." I'll be honest, I spare no sympathy for Zverev, in most cases, but I was feeling like if he'd lost this match, he may as well quit tennis. I almost started to feel bad for him. He has to have recognized he couldn't capitulate in this match. He needed to live to fight another day. If Medvedev went mentally walkabout with a crushed sense of self-belief after losing to Nadal in the finals here 2 years ago, I think Zverev would have been toast for good, combining it with his USO 2020 collapse. If he plays a decent match v. Meddie, win or lose he'll be better of than if he'd lost today.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am not trying to make an excuse for Charly losing in this QF, I really felt he needed to play a warm up tournament, I said that before the AO began, though he did play 2 exho matches and won both..some of Charly's shot selections in this match left me scratching my head quite frankly, again the 'over use' of the drop shots came into play?
I was surprised that Zverev came back after losing the 3rd set, he is not known as a 'mental giant'.It will be an interesting battle against Meddy who leads their H2H 11-7, Meddy has been battling the heat and also his mind in his last 2 matches, but found a way to win.
I thought their would be a upset in one of the QF matches though I didnt see Zverev winning this match, especially the way Charly made a mini statement in his last match.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlitos, you have a bit to learn - but you’re still great!

I won’t be around for a while, folks, I’ve a thing I’m working on, needs my full attention. Hopefully the rest of the event is great, and well done to the eventual champ!

:clap:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlitos, you have a bit to learn - but you’re still great!

I won’t be around for a while, folks, I’ve a thing I’m working on, needs my full attention. Hopefully the rest of the event is great, and well done to the eventual champ!

:clap:
Agree, I think we all forget at times he is only 20? one thing in his favor he is a 'quick learner' which bodes well for him going forward in his career

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I too view the taller Russian as being mentally stronger than his younger compatriot by blood only. To me, the lanky German will not be able to outlast the sly Russian and that may be a reason why the head-to-head is how it is. By the same token, the German now has a 4-2 record against the Spanish wunderkind, which must mean something in terms of how they relate to one another. I, like many here, thought that Carlos winning the tiebreaker in the 3rd was going to open the floodgates and he was going to streak through the 4th and 5th sets. Did not happen. Kudos to Zverev--he showed it when he needed to in the last set they played.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_5633.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.