ATP Injury/ fitness thread

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m really hoping this could just be a thread where we discuss player injuries, causes of withdrawals and speculation about when they’ll be back. It’s a topic that deserves its own specific thread. I have a horrible feeling this will just devolve into whining about the past instead of speculating about future participation, but I guess I’m an eternal optimist:)

Anyway i just saw the shocking news that Rafa was forced to withdraw from Acapulco. I think he should skip the sunshine double otherwise he could jeopardise his clay run. I really worry that whatever this is could be made worse otherwise. Perhaps he really should consider trying to cut back and focus his schedule like Roger, I know it’s not his mindset but I genuinely don’t want Rafa quitting the game because of stuff like this

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal’s diagnosis will give a clearer picture of how he should proceed with regard to his schedule. One article mentioned he felt a sharp pain. That is usually indicative of a joint injury, which takes a long time to heal, as opposed to a muscular strain. We don’t yet know whether this episode is the same as the injury he suffered at AO. In any case, he shouldn’t continue playing a full schedule because as I said in another thread, every match requires more pounding on his aging body. In light of his knee problems, he should be more prudent about which tournaments he plays. Maybe he’ll finish his career the way he started — playing predominately on clay.

Reactions: Federberg

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope he doesn’t do that. His style is so unique. I think he should listen to Uncle Toni and reinvent himself just like Federer has done. He has the skill set to dramatically alter the length of rallies he settles for. It’s all in the mind. This might be sacrilegious to Fed fans but if he did that, becoming more attacking and shortening matches, I could even get on board!

Yup... I actually said that :D

Reactions: ftan and Moxie

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Manacor's bull "ll find a way to rebounce as he always did, he wrote him off so many times and he came back strong so this new injury's not different from others

Reactions: Moxie

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Perhaps he really should consider trying to cut back and focus his schedule like Roger, I know it’s not his mindset but I genuinely don’t want Rafa quitting the game because of stuff like this

Rafa is a player who requires lots of tourneys to achieve his top form. He is not the kind of player who can come back from an inury break and immediately start winning big events. As a result, what worked for Roger won't work for Rafa. Rafa knows that and so he cannot really cut back too much on his schedule although he will cut back compared to his own schedule of yesteryears.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I hope he doesn’t do that. His style is so unique. I think he should listen to Uncle Toni and reinvent himself just like Federer has done. He has the skill set to dramatically alter the length of rallies he settles for. It’s all in the mind. This might be sacrilegious to Fed fans but if he did that, becoming more attacking and shortening matches, I could even get on board!

Yup... I actually said that :D

We always knew you were a traitor.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa is a player who requires lots of tourneys to achieve his top form. He is not the kind of player who can come back from an inury break and immediately start winning big events. As a result, what worked for Roger won't work for Rafa. Rafa knows that and so he cannot really cut back too much on his schedule although he will cut back compared to his own schedule of yesteryears.

While I will grant you that Rafa likes to play a lot of tournaments, and he lacks what britbox calls Roger's "healthy self-regard," he has proven he can come back from injury at a high level more than once.

Reactions: I.Haychew

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
While I will grant you that Rafa likes to play a lot of tournaments, and he lacks what britbox calls Roger's "healthy self-regard," he has proven he can come back from injury at a high level more than once.

He surely can come back from injuries and he has proven that many times.

I was not denying that. All I said was that he needs to play himself into form. He is a "confidence player", so to speak and in order to be confident he needs to win a bunch of tourneys. So, shortening the schedule will not work for him.

Reactions: I.Haychew

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He surely can come back from injuries and he has proven that many times.

I was not denying that. All I said was that he needs to play himself into form. He is a "confidence player", so to speak and in order to be confident he needs to win a bunch of tourneys. So, shortening the schedule will not work for him.
I understand that, for sure, but look at his 2013 return from injury. And while Roger won the AO last year, Rafa was in the final, and both were coming off of injury breaks. It's more of a "truism" than a truth.

Reactions: atttomole

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I understand that, for sure, but look at his 2013 return from injury. And while Roger won the AO last year, Rafa was in the final, and both were coming off of injury breaks. It's more of a "truism" than a truth.

But, did not he need to lose to Zeballos, an unknown player and in an ATP 250 and on clay to boot in 2013.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
But, did not he need to lose to Zeballos, an unknown player and in an ATP 250 and on clay to boot in 2013.
He did. But then he won his next however many tournaments, including RG and USO. Last year, Roger did come out of the gate winning the AO, but then lost in the round of 16 to #116 ranked Donskoy at his next event (Dubai.) It's not as dissimilar as you're trying to make it. At least Rafa didn't miss a final until Wimbledon in his 2013 comeback.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Let's start taking bets on when this devolves into a Fedal bitchfest about injuries. Post #18 is my guess.

Reactions: mrzz

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
I’m really hoping this could just be a thread where we discuss player injuries, causes of withdrawals and speculation about when they’ll be back. It’s a topic that deserves its own specific thread. I have a horrible feeling this will just devolve into whining about the past instead of speculating about future participation, but I guess I’m an eternal optimist:)

Anyway i just saw the shocking news that Rafa was forced to withdraw from Acapulco. I think he should skip the sunshine double otherwise he could jeopardise his clay run. I really worry that whatever this is could be made worse otherwise. Perhaps he really should consider trying to cut back and focus his schedule like Roger, I know it’s not his mindset but I genuinely don’t want Rafa quitting the game because of stuff like this

Why now? Because Nadal withdrew from Acapulco?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why now? Because Nadal withdrew from Acapulco?
Why not? Just to get off of Nadal...when do we think Djokovic and Murray will show back up? Any updates? And Stan is a question mark. I find it a useful thread, given how many top players are injured and questionable as to return.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Why not? Just to get off of Nadal...when do we think Djokovic and Murray will show back up? Any updates? And Stan is a question mark. I find it a useful thread, given how many top players are injured and questionable as to return.

Djokovic, Murray, and Wawrinka have been injured for months. Why now?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Because Nadal is injured. Is this rocket science? I don't understand why you're making such a big deal about someone starting a thread. He wanted to, and it's timely.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but Djokovic and Wawrinka have tried coming back. Djokovic keeps acting like he's just a step away, and Stan says not to worry about the knee. They are both totally acting like they are all-but-back, which I'm having a hard time believing. Does anyone even know about the mysterious surgery that Djokovic had on his hand in Switzerland? As for Murray, it seems like not until grass season will we see him.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Because Nadal is injured. Is this rocket science? I don't understand why you're making such a big deal about someone starting a thread. He wanted to, and it's timely.

Exactly. It is timely because Nadal is injured. I'm not making a big deal of it. It's just that, all of a sudden, because of Nadal's injury, injuries seem to be a big deal. Why wasn't an "injuries" thread necessary until now, when Nadal just happened to get injured? That said...My opinion is that Djokovic's best days are behind him, Murray and Wawrinka are done, and Nadal will come back and win many tournaments. del Potro may win a 250 or 500 here and there, but nothing more. Obviously conjecture on my part.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Exactly. It is timely because Nadal is injured. I'm not making a big deal of it. It's just that, all of a sudden, because of Nadal's injury, injuries seem to be a big deal. Why wasn't an "injuries" thread necessary until now, when Nadal just happened to get injured? That said...My opinion is that Djokovic's best days are behind him, Murray and Wawrinka are done, and Nadal will come back and win many tournaments. del Potro may win a 250 or 500 here and there, but nothing more. Obviously conjecture on my part.
Here's the deal, and this is why I argue with Darth about Nadal's relative popularity: Novak, Andy, Stan, Kei, Milos and whomever can go down with injury, but it's not going to make a huge impact until it's Rafa or Roger. I know that's what you were gaming. That said, I think it's useful to have this thread. I have other opinions about players and fitness and injuries that I will be happy to place here, having had nowhere else.

As to your last: as to Djokovic, best days behind him...probably. He's 30. But some good results to come, I think so, if the injuries aren't a thing, and I don't think they are. I also think that Stan is done, and I hope Murray isn't. I'd like to hope for more for del Potro, but it's hard to imagine.

Reactions: ftan and MartyB