2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I just don't get how as a tennis fan, one can't be rooting for him. One of the greatest players ever, trying to come back at 37-38 years old. If I could write the script on 2024, I'd have him win at Roland Garros in epic fashion--maybe just squeaking by that young punk Alcaraz, and then tearfully announcing his retirement while hoisting the trophy. Sampras-style. I'm ready for the new era, but as a fan of the sport before any allegiances, I'd like to see the King of Clay go out in style.

But just so you don't think I've switched to a full-on Rafalite, my close second choice would be Alcaraz (or Sinner) beating him in the final in a true passing of the baton of generations. But even that would be an amazing accomplishment for the old guy, reaching the final at 38 after what he's gone through this last year plus.

The worst-case scenario would be for Rafa to have to withdraw from a match at RG due to injury, especially to some punk like Tsitsipas.
I knew after Brisbane this year with Rafa picking up the tear in his hip and having to withdraw from the AO it would be his last year on the tour
As a fan I would like him to retire on his own terms, instead of having to withdraw again due to an injury, hopefully he will able to play at RG for the final time and give it his best.

Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I knew after Brisbane this year with Rafa picking up the tear in his hip and having to withdraw from the AO it would be his last year on the tour
As a fan I would like him to retire on his own terms, instead of having to withdraw again due to an injury, hopefully he will able to play at RG for the final time and give it his best.
If you really want to know the true tell sign Rafa is feeling spry or ready to be a beast on the court... whenever he runs around his backhand to hit his inside out FH. It's pure vintage Rafa IMO

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Yeah, I just don't get how as a tennis fan, one can't be rooting for him. One of the greatest players ever, trying to come back at 37-38 years old. If I could write the script on 2024, I'd have him win at Roland Garros in epic fashion--maybe just squeaking by that young punk Alcaraz, and then tearfully announcing his retirement while hoisting the trophy. Sampras-style. I'm ready for the new era, but as a fan of the sport before any allegiances, I'd like to see the King of Clay go out in style.

But just so you don't think I've switched to a full-on Rafa-lite, my close second choice would be Alcaraz (or Sinner) beating him in the final in a true passing of the baton of generations. But even that would be an amazing accomplishment for the old guy, reaching the final at 38 after what he's gone through this last year plus.

The worst-case scenario would be for Rafa to have to withdraw from a match at RG due to injury, esp. to some punk like Tsitsipas.

Is that supposed to be directed at me? :face-with-hand-over-mouth: I've been swatting the slings & arrows on this subject for years; going back to when Rafa was a rookie! Some players just offend me & he got on my bad side right away w/ his total act from stalling, toweling off incessantly to the arrogance of challenging every call as if he couldn't possibly "have missed that!" The short-list w/ players I could do w/o are Connors, McEnroe, Agassi, & of course Rafa! It has little to do w/ being gentile & profess'l out there b/c I liked Ilie Nastase, Marat Safin, & some would say Djokovic who can lose their minds on court when things aren't going well! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Madrid Update:,
Marin Cliic replaced by Thiago Seyboth Wild
McKenzie McDonald replaced by Botic van de Zandschulp

Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If you really want to know the true tell sign Rafa is feeling spry or ready to be a beast on the court... whenever he runs around his backhand to hit his inside out FH. It's pure vintage Rafa IMO
Rafa will be able to summon his best level for RG given that he gets a few more matches in Madrid and Rome and stays healthy. He will go full blast in RG and won't be holding back anything.

• Love
Reactions: the AntiPusher

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions

But just so you don't think I've switched to a full-on Rafalite, my close second choice would be Alcaraz (or Sinner) beating him in the final in a true passing of the baton of generations. But even that would be an amazing accomplishment for the old guy, reaching the final at 38 after what he's gone through this last year plus.

The worst-case scenario would be for Rafa to have to withdraw from a match at RG due to injury, especially to some punk like Tsitsipas.
How about this as a script: Rafa makes it to the quarters or semis at the French Open, but loses to Alcaraz/Sinner. However, in Pete Sampras fashion, Rafa gets revenge in the semifinals of the Olympics and beats his old time rival Novak Djokovic for the gold medal, then announces his retirement. You get both the passing of the torch moment, as well as Rafa going out on top.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How about this as a script: Rafa makes it to the quarters or semis at the French Open, but loses to Alcaraz/Sinner. However, in Pete Sampras fashion, Rafa gets revenge in the semifinals of the Olympics and beats his old time rival Novak Djokovic for the gold medal, then announces his retirement. You get both the passing of the torch moment, as well as Rafa going out on top.
That's a good one. I just like the idea of him capping off his RG dominance.

Anyhow, I didn't realize until now that the Olympics will be played at Roland Garros. Interesting...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fonzie alert. He's won his first two matches at Bucharest (ATP 250). #240 in the live rankings. He's beaten Sonego and Albot, both of whom are former top 40 guys (Sonego ranked as high as 21 at one point, and is currently 57).

Not bad for a 17-year old. Really interested in seeing how this kid does. Maybe we can lure @mrzz back to tell us more.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Fonzie alert. He's won his first two matches at Bucharest (ATP 250). #240 in the live rankings. He's beaten Sonego and Albot, both of whom are former top 40 guys (Sonego ranked as high as 21 at one point, and is currently 57).

Not bad for a 17-year old. Really interested in seeing how this kid does. Maybe we can lure @mrzz back to tell us more.
Fonzie has made the QFs in Bucharest not bad for the 17 year old

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alex de Minaur said his plan yesterday was to tire Rafa out, did he tire himself out as he is about to go out to Fils?
One of my favorite youngsters Fils won the 1st set 75 and is serving for the match 5-1
Of course as I typed Fils was serving for the match I hexed him :) broken!
Fils broke the serve of Alez and won the match 76 62 Allez Fils!
Fils reaches the QFs in Barcelona and will play Duscan Lajovic tomorrow

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
QFs set in Barcelona
Friday 19th April,
Tsitsipas (5) vs Diaz Acosta
Fils (16) vs Lajovic
Ruud (3) vs Arnaldi
Norrie (12) vs Etcheverry (13)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
How about this as a script: Rafa makes it to the quarters or semis at the French Open, but loses to Alcaraz/Sinner. However, in Pete Sampras fashion, Rafa gets revenge in the semifinals of the Olympics and beats his old time rival Novak Djokovic for the gold medal, then announces his retirement. You get both the passing of the torch moment, as well as Rafa going out on top
Rafa would need to win a Slam to go out on top. Tennis has only been a medal sport in the Olympics since 1988. There are no ATP points earned for winning. It is the best of three sets, not five. Watching Novak and Rafa play lately, there is little likelihood that they would meet in any final without major improvement. by both players.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa would need to win a Slam to go out on top. Tennis has only been a medal sport in the Olympics since 1988. There are no ATP points earned for winning. It is the best of three sets, not five. Watching Novak and Rafa play lately, there is little likelihood that they would meet in any final without major improvement. by both players.
True. I sort of see the Olympics as being similar to the old Grand Slam Cup or WCT Finals...an "alternate finals" - less than the Tour Finals, but slightly more than a Masters. In my PEP system, I have it as 5 points for Gold, vs. 4 for a Masters title and 6 for a loss-less TF.

But that system is more to assess tour dominance than it is to assess bragging rights or legacy. We know the players really value the Olympics, but legacy is questionable due to its unusual nature.

In other words, I think it is has more value than anything other than a Slam in terms of player desire, but legacy it is more like a Tour Finals (or alt finals).

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
True. I sort of see the Olympics as being similar to the old Grand Slam Cup or WCT Finals...an "alternate finals" - less than the Tour Finals, but slightly more than a Masters. In my PEP system, I have it as 5 points for Gold, vs. 4 for a Masters title and 6 for a loss-less TF.

But that system is more to assess tour dominance than it is to assess bragging rights or legacy. We know the players really value the Olympics, but legacy is questionable due to its unusual nature.

In other words, I think it is has more value than anything other than a Slam in terms of player desire, but legacy it is more like a Tour Finals (or alt finals).
I wouldn’t even rate it that high. Players wrongly assess value that isn’t there. Djokovic’s choice to travel to Japan, the PR fiasco and then playing while not fully healthy, severely undermined his chances at something far more valuable. The Olympics are a distraction from the real tennis calendar and (imo), should never have been added as a medal sport.

lomaha

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Alex de Minaur said his plan yesterday was to tire Rafa out, did he tire himself out as he is about to go out to Fils?
One of my favorite youngsters Fils won the 1st set 75 and is serving for the match 5-1
Of course as I typed Fils was serving for the match I hexed him :) broken!
Fils broke the serve of Alez and won the match 76 62 Allez Fils!
Fils reaches the QFs in Barcelona and will play Duscan Lajovic tomorrow
Omg. Didn't think Alex had it in him. But understandable. They were really bad...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240419_180228_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240419_180228_Facebook.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 8

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am presently watching 2 matches at once ( being a female we can do such things with ease)
In Barcelona Diaz Acosta wins the 1st set 64 over Tsitsipas, long way to go though I have impressed by Acosta, someone can correct me I dont think Stef has won a ATP500 event?
Maybe it takes a set for Tsitsipas to work out his new opponent, he wins the 2nd set 63, Stef lost just 3 service points.
Stef served for the match 5-4, broken, Stef with 2 DFs, back on serve 5 all in the 3rd set

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am presently watching 2 matches at once ( being a female we can do such things with ease)
In Barcelona Diaz Acosta wins the 1st set 64 over Tsitsipas, long way to go though I have impressed by Acosta, someone can correct me I dont think Stef has won a ATP500 event?
Maybe it takes a set for Tsitsipas to work out his new opponent, he wins the 2nd set 63, Stef lost just 3 service points.
Stef served for the match 5-4, broken, Stef with 2 DFs, back on serve 5 all in the 3rd set
Diaz Acosta is a tough opponent. Steph did choke while serving for the match, but this guy is playing great. It's a fun match.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Diaz Acosta is a tough opponent. Steph did choke while serving for the match, but this guy is playing great. It's a fun match.
I havent seen Acosta play before, well 2 DFs when trying to serve for the match didnt help Stef :)