2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
De Minaur 7-5 1st set over Rafa,
Rafa was good in parts, but dropped his level again in the last 5 mins too many ufe, cant happen against top players

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In form player Alex De Minaur (11) defeats Rafa Nadal in the 2nd round 75 61
Well done Alex! That was Rafa's 5th loss in 17 Barcelona appearances btw :)
I guess Rafa will now play in Madrid,

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
In form player Alex De Minaur (11) defeats Rafa Nadal in the 2nd round 75 61
Well done Alex! That was Rafa's 5th loss in 17 Barcelona appearances btw :)
I guess Rafa will now play in Madrid
I was going to recommend he skip Madrid, but if his level and draw only allows him to play one or 2 matches, then maybe he should play so he can get the match reps needed to find some kind of form for Paris.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was going to recommend he skip Madrid, but if his level and draw only allows him to play one or 2 matches, then maybe he should play so he can get the match reps needed to find some kind of form for Paris.
I have never liked Madrid for a lot of reasons, I would prefer him to play Rome and then RG, agree he needs match play, I cant see him not playing in Madrid, being Spanish and all, it will probably be his last tournament in Madrid

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that's the issue w/ age. you lose your consistency. It happened w/ Fed, Serena, Pete, etc. Just can't sustain that level of greatness for the whole match.
While I agree with this as a general principle, I'm not sure it (yet) applies to Rafa. He hasn't played a professional match in 15 months - going back to the AO of 2023. It may be that he's finally gotten old, but I would think we need to write off him just being rusty first. I'm reminded of his loss to Zeballos in 2013 after a long absence from the tour - he then went on to have one of his best years.

Again, not expecting another 2013 from Rafa - that is very unlikely. But I'd like to see half a dozen matches first, before we determine it is age and not just rust (or, more likely, a combination of both).

• Haha
Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The most important thing for Rafa was that he was able to get through 2 matches with his health intact
Can't expect to play top level tennis 2 matches in.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
While I agree with this as a general principle, I'm not sure it (yet) applies to Rafa. He hasn't played a professional match in 15 months - going back to the AO of 2023. It may be that he's finally gotten old, but I would think we need to write off him just being rusty first. I'm reminded of his loss to Zeballos in 2013 after a long absence from the tour - he then went on to have one of his best years.

Again, not expecting another 2013 from Rafa - that is very unlikely. But I'd like to see half a dozen matches first, before we determine it is age and not just rust (or, more likely, a combination of both).

Funny you mention that Zeballos match! Rafa was on another one of his comebacks playing South American clay events! I loved him "going down in flames" in that match against another left-hander running down all his shots; 3 TB's IIRC! Rafa must have made a deal w/ the Devil to still take FO's of 2013 & 2014 defeating Djokovic in 2 all time memorable matches! I still haven't seen them after all these years! It cost Rafa and he couldn't look worse than his effort in 2015 allowing Djokovic to destroy him in straight sets QF at the FO! The following year Nadal WD in the 3rd round! I thought he was done, TOAST! Him and Roger! Both came back during Nole's period of en oui & elbow injury in 2016-early 2018 to get to #1 in the world until Novak came back strong in the Summer of 2018! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I have never liked Madrid for a lot of reasons, I would prefer him to play Rome and then RG, agree he needs match play, I cant see him not playing in Madrid, being Spanish and all, it will probably be his last tournament in Madrid
This is the one time @tented Tented can verify that I say he needs to play Madrid

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Funny you mention that Zeballos match! Rafa was on another one of his comebacks playing South American clay events! I loved him "going down in flames" in that match against another left-hander running down all his shots; 3 TB's IIRC! Rafa must have made a deal w/ the Devil to still take FO's of 2013 & 2014 defeating Djokovic in 2 all time memorable matches! I still haven't seen them after all these years! It cost Rafa and he couldn't look worse than his effort in 2015 allowing Djokovic to destroy him in straight sets QF at the FO! The following year Nadal WD in the 3rd round! I thought he was done, TOAST! Him and Roger! Both came back during Nole's period of en oui & elbow injury in 2016-early 2018 to get to #1 in the world until Novak came back strong in the Summer of 2018! :face-with-head-bandage: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:
But that's my point: Vina del Mar, the tournament he lost to Zeballos, was the first tournament he had played in 8 months, so he was rusty. When he got going, he was nigh unbeatable through the US Open, winning 10 of his next 12 tournaments, losing only to Novak at Monte-Carlo and that ill-fated loss to Steve Darcis at Wimbledon. No deal with the Devil, just Rafa at the top of his game. Elo supports the view that 2013 was Rafa at his very best. You could argue that 2010 was even better, but as far as his form on court, I think he was at his best in 2013.

The point being, let's see Rafa in his next tournament, and the tournament after, before pronouncing him cooked. He could be, but I'm not judging that based on his first tournament in 15 months. He's also probably being deliberately hesitant, to give himself a chance to jump on the moving train without tearing an arm off. The goal is being in his best possible form by Roland Garros, which is still 5+ weeks away. The last thing he wants to do is over-play at an ATP 500.

That said, I don't think any great player has been out that long and come back anywhere close to peak form, let alone at almost 38 years old. If he wins any tournament this year, it will be a remarkable achievement.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
But that's my point: Vina del Mar, the tournament he lost to Zeballos, was his tournament he had played in 8 months, so he was rusty. When he got going, he was nigh unbeatable through the US Open, winning 10 of his next 12 tournaments, losing only to Novak at Monte-Carlo and that ill-fated loss to Steve Darcis at Wimbledon. No deal with the Devil, just Rafa at the top of his game. Elo supports the view that 2013 was Rafa at his very best. You could argue that 2010 was even better, but as far as his form on court, I think he was at his best in 2013.

The point being, let's see Rafa in his next tournament, and the tournament after, before pronouncing him cooked. He could be, but I'm not judging that based on his first tournament in 15 months. He's also probably being deliberately hesitant, to give himself a chance to jump on the moving train without tearing an arm off. The goal is being in his best possible form by Roland Garros, which is still 5+ weeks away. The last thing he wants to do is over-play at an ATP 500.

That said, I don't think any great player has been out that long and come back anywhere close to peak form, let alone at almost 38 years old. If he wins any tournament this year, it will be a remarkable achievement.
Thanks for the clarification of course it was 'No deal with the Devil, , Nadal was at the top of his game.I was live at RG 2013 and 2014 btw:)
I suggest that poster find those 2 RG Finals in RG and watch them before making " fan boy comments"
Rafa will play Madrid, Roma then RG, the main thing is his health stays intact for RG

Last edited:
Reactions: El Dude

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
But that's my point: Vina del Mar, the tournament he lost to Zeballos, was his tournament he had played in 8 months, so he was rusty. When he got going, he was nigh unbeatable through the US Open, winning 10 of his next 12 tournaments, losing only to Novak at Monte-Carlo and that ill-fated loss to Steve Darcis at Wimbledon. No deal with the Devil, just Rafa at the top of his game. Elo supports the view that 2013 was Rafa at his very best. You could argue that 2010 was even better, but as far as his form on court, I think he was at his best in 2013.

As a Rafa fan, I Always hope that this is Rafa rope a dope for lack of a better expression..

I truly feel that sometimes in the NEXT few weeks "it's " gonna happen. What the IT I have no explanation but Rafa may find his Ra El Ghoul 's version of larsus pits and becomes immortal again.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Thanks for the clarification of course it was 'No deal with the Devil, , Nadal was at the top of his game.I was live at RG 2013 and 2014 btw:)
I suggest that poster find those 2 RG Finals in RG and watch them before making " fan boy comments"
Rafa will play Madrid, Roma then RG, the main thing is his health stays intact for RG
Yeah, I just don't get how as a tennis fan, one can't be rooting for him. One of the greatest players ever, trying to come back at 37-38 years old. If I could write the script on 2024, I'd have him win at Roland Garros in epic fashion--maybe just squeaking by that young punk Alcaraz, and then tearfully announcing his retirement while hoisting the trophy. Sampras-style. I'm ready for the new era, but as a fan of the sport before any allegiances, I'd like to see the King of Clay go out in style.

But just so you don't think I've switched to a full-on Rafalite, my close second choice would be Alcaraz (or Sinner) beating him in the final in a true passing of the baton of generations. But even that would be an amazing accomplishment for the old guy, reaching the final at 38 after what he's gone through this last year plus.

The worst-case scenario would be for Rafa to have to withdraw from a match at RG due to injury, especially to some punk like Tsitsipas.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
As a Rafa fan, I Always hope that this is Rafa rope a dope for lack of a better expression..

I truly feel that sometimes in the NEXT few weeks "it's " gonna happen. What the IT I have no explanation but Rafa may find his Ra El Ghoul 's version of larsus pits and becomes immortal again.
If anyone can do it, Rafa can. I think it is reasonable to have hope, but also realistic to temper it a bit. I imagine its also just nice to see him play, and from my perspective--as I said above--the big thing is him staying healthy, so even if he doesn't win anything significant, at least he goes out on his own volition.

Savor it, my friends - regardless of outcome. When they're gone, they're gone (I still miss seeing Roger dance around the court).