2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just an update Barcelona Tournament,
Alcaraz out.
Fabian Maroszan becomes the No 17 seed, moved to the top of the draw in his place
WC Martin Landaluce, who was to play him, gets a Q/LL instead

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This forearm injury is a predisposed injury for not only tennis players other athletes who use their forearm repetitively?
It is not just a injury for 'New Kids On the Block', get your medical facts in check for starters.
I hear your point, though I do wonder if there's a point in sports where athletes reach a kind of "Thou Shalt Not Pass" threshold, in terms of how far they can push physical limits such as how hard you can hit the ball. They can always go further, of course, but over long periods of time...professional sports might be trying to push things a bit quicker than the body can keep up with.

Baseball is experiencing a kind of crisis with Tommy John surgeries - a larger and larger percentage need to go under the knife, which takes about a year of recovery and has a sizeable chance of not recovering to previous levels - not to mention a very high chance of needing a second TJS eventually. Pitchers are throwing harder than ever, but another element might be pacing - they start off games throwing as hard as they can. Back in the day, Nolan Ryan would throw 90-95 mph for much of the game, then crank it up to 100 a bit later on. Might be other elements involved, but the point is there may be a limit as to how hard a human body can throw a baseball. It isn't just muscular, but tendons, ligaments, etc.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I hear your point, though I do wonder if there's a point in sports where athletes reach a kind of "Thou Shalt Not Pass" threshold, in terms of how far they can push physical limits such as how hard you can hit the ball.

Baseball is experiencing a kind of crisis with Tommy John surgeries. Pitchers are throwing harder than ever, but another element might be that they start off games throwing as hard as they can. Back in the day, Nolan Ryan would throw 90-95 mph for much of the game, then crank it up to 100 a bit later on. Might be other elements involved, but the point is there may be a limit as to how hard a human body can throw a baseball. It isn't just muscular, but tendons, ligaments, etc.
I take your point in terms of how hard a tennis player can hit a ball? still it isnt a new injury that has popped up for New Kids On The Block in the tennis tour?It is a predisposed injury that affects athletes that use their forearm in a repetitive nature
This forearm injury also affects weight lifters and rowers
My concern is that Alcaraz at such a young age does pick up injuries, also has had leg injuries as well.

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I take your point in terms of how hard a tennis player can hit a ball? still it isnt a new injury that has popped up for New Kids On The Block in the tennis tour?It is a predisposed injury that affects athletes that use their forearm in a repetitive nature
This forearm injury also affects weight lifters
My concern is that Alcaraz at such a young age does pick up injuries, also has had leg injuries as well.
I hear you. In this sense, Rafa is kind of a freak, given his longevity and play style. It might be that those many injury layovers preserved his body (a bit). Alcaraz seems cut from the same cloth, and will get his time in, no matter what.

It is also interesting to note who of Lost Gen is still hanging around and playing at a close-to-peak level: Grigor Dimitrov, with his smooth game. Of course when it comes to Lost Gen and good players, it is a tiny sample size. LOL.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I hear you. In this sense, Rafa is kind of a freak, given his longevity and play style. It might be that those many injury layovers preserved his body (a bit). Alcaraz seems cut from the same cloth, and will get his time in, no matter what.

It is also interesting to note who of Lost Gen is still hanging around and playing at a close-to-peak level: Grigor Dimitrov, with his smooth game. Of course when it comes to Lost Gen and good players, it is a tiny sample size. LOL.

Why just give Rafa credit for being "a freak" of nature? All of the Big 3 can be catagorized & included in that vein as they've all stayed in the Top 3 of ATP rankings for the most part for well over 20 years! They each had small setbacks dropping out of the top 10, but they returned just as strong, if not more! Novak won half his 24 majors after 30 years old taking 3 of 4 in 2 separate seasons in his mid 30's! Rafa coming & going as he pleased certainly saved his career and extended his longevity! Roger didn't make too much of a wave physically until regaining the #1 ranking at 37 back in 2017! After Nadalovic overtook him, he was done & probably should have retired even w/ great performances to make a FO SF & Wimbledon Final in 2019! IDK how Nadal can make any kind of impression in the game today? He truly needs the practice over any of the Big 3 so sneeking a FO & OGM is fanciiful banter! Good luck! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face: :face-with-head-bandage:

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why just give Rafa credit for being "a freak" of nature? All of the Big 3 can be catagorized & included in that vein as they've all stayed in the Top 3 of ATP rankings for the most part for well over 20 years! They each had small setbacks dropping out of the top 10, but they returned just as strong, if not more! Novak won half his 24 majors after 30 years old taking 3 of 4 in 2 separate seasons in his mid 30's! Rafa coming & going as he pleased certainly saved his career and extended his longevity! Roger didn't make too much of a wave physically until regaining the #1 ranking at 37 back in 2017! After Nadalovic overtook him, he was done & probably should have retired even w/ great performances to make a FO SF & Wimbledon Final in 2019! IDK how Nadal can make any kind of impression in the game today? He truly needs the practice over any of the Big 3 so sneeking a FO & OGM is fanciiful banter! Good luck! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :angry-face: :face-with-head-bandage:
Yeah, they're all freaks. I'm just pointing out that Rafa's longevity is the most surprising, especially considering he seemed to be fading out in 2014-16...that wasn't just one off year, but two and a half years. I can't think of another player who played at a significantly lower level for two, full--and healthy--seasons, then jumped back up again. He went from GOAT level to 2nd tier to aged GOAT level. Novak has his walkabouts and that one bad year in 2017, Roger had a couple cycles in his 30s, but neither--and non one that I can think of--had the same pattern as Rafa.

But the point was to use him as a model for Alcaraz - that even if the young pup over-plays, he can look to Rafa to see how he optimized. That said, if I'm not mistaken, most of Rafa's issue have been lower body.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, they're all freaks. I'm just pointing out that Rafa's longevity is the most surprising, especially considering he seemed to be fading out in 2014-16...that wasn't just one off year, but two and a half years. I can't think of another player who played at a significantly lower level for two, full--and healthy--seasons, then jumped back up again. He went from GOAT level to 2nd tier to aged GOAT level. Novak has his walkabouts and that one bad year in 2017, Roger had a couple cycles in his 30s, but neither--and non one that I can think of--had the same pattern as Rafa.
I don't think you've characterized this correctly. Yes, we all thought that Rafa would be done by 30. So did Rafa. But, when Rafa went without a Major from 2014-2017, that was nothing compared to Roger not having won one for 4.5 years. Rafa didn't take all of that time off. And at least he didn't fall out of the top 10. It was Roger who didn't have a Major win from 2012 to 2017. Also, I think you remember Novak's "walkabout" wrongly. It wasn't one year...it was really 2. After his Nole slam, he lost early at W to Querrey, and it kind of mostly went downhill from there. He didn't win another Major for 2+ years. I hardly think Rafa had the most surprising resurgence. I'd say Roger did, in 2017.
But the point was to use him as a model for Alcaraz - that even if the young pup over-plays, he can look to Rafa to see how he optimized. That said, if I'm not mistaken, most of Rafa's issue have been lower body.
Yes, most of Rafa's issues have been lower body, at least up until recently, and even now. Mostly it was all about his knees since 2009. I don't see the comparison with Alcaraz, other than their being Spanish.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I don't think you've characterized this correctly. Yes, we all thought that Rafa would be done by 30. So did Rafa. But, when Rafa went without a Major from 2014-2017, that was nothing compared to Roger not having won one for 4.5 years. Rafa didn't take all of that time off. And at least he didn't fall out of the top 10. It was Roger who didn't have a Major win from 2012 to 2017. Also, I think you remember Novak's "walkabout" wrongly. It wasn't one year...it was really 2. After his Nole slam, he lost early at W to Querrey, and it kind of mostly went downhill from there. He didn't win another Major for 2+ years. I hardly think Rafa had the most surprising resurgence. I'd say Roger did, in 2017.

Yes, most of Rafa's issues have been lower body, at least up until recently, and even now. Mostly it was all about his knees since 2009. I don't see the comparison with Alcaraz, other than their being Spanish.

You fall into a trap each time Roger is lionized for his accomplishments! You're doing what I accuse Fedal fans of; selectively elevating them while undermining the overwhelming records of Djokovic! ND has not only 1-up'd Roger, he's 2-up'd him if not more and doing it sooner! Sportcenter & Fox Sports personalities are close to anointing Novak one of the greatest athletes ever, not just the GOAT in tennis! He's done so much in his 30's w/ anything he does now being gravy, extending the lead he has over all his rivals in just about every catagory out there! Rafa can rest on his clay court laurels; esp. w/ 14 FO's! Roger is still thought of as the tennis GOD overall even though there are 2 players who owned him early & often! Fed had a huge lead in most records he took over from Sampras, but he didn't even get a chance to retire before Nadovic surpassed them & more! Fedalovic own TENNIS, but my faves are still from an era long past! I lived for Borg, Edberg, Sampras, Safin, & Laver on the men's side while the ladies lead the way on my list w/ Goolagong, Navratilova, Wade, Court & Hingis! :fearful-face: :yawningface: :astonished-face: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'm not just talking about majors, Moxie, but overall level of play. Rafa was largely healthy in 2015-16, but played at a level way below before and after. He was essentially David Ferrer for two full years. His return to form in 2017 was quite surprising, given what looked like clear decline (btw, I'm not suggesting anything suspicious!). Roger was still playing at a pretty high level in 2014-15 but was just getting smashed by peak Novak, was hurt in 2016, then returned at his best level since 2012 in 2017...surprising, yes, but there is less difference between his 2015 and '17 form than there was Rafa's '16 and '17 form, imo. With Roger, it seems that the long rest helped him rejuvenate a bit. With Rafa, I'm less clear why he resurged in 2017, but maybe he worked out nagging minor injuries.

Note also I used the plural for "walkabouts." Novak has had periods throughout his career in which he seemed to be a different guy (right now we're seemingly amidst one). But I agree that he slumped from the second half of 2016 to mid-2018...that was his biggest walkabout, but I was more referring to overall patterns.
I was referring to concerns about Alcaraz being injury prone. My comparison is that they both play balls-out on every point, and that Rafa is an example of a very physical player with incredible longevity.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the Munich tournament,
Alejandro Moro Canas gets his first ATP win defeated Dominic Thiem 64 64
It's getting tougher and tougher to watch Domi I'm afraid.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Mikael Ymer, who retired after getting a 18 month doping ban, announces he is, after all, coming back in 8 months, when his ban finishes.
MikaelYmer@MikelYmer,
"Retirement was boring see you in 8 months".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Update for Andy Murray,
Murray is out of his protective boot he has been wearing on his damaged ankle,and, after further checks, will not be having surgery.
No set date return, but a positive update.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Carlos Aclaraz, during his press conference today, says the he felt better a few days after withdrawing from Monte Carlo, but the forearm pain came straight back after he started hitting forehands. He's not 100% sure he'll be fit for Madrid ( source @Olly-Tennis)

• Wow
Reactions: don_fabio

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Update for Andy Murray,
Murray is out of his protective boot he has been wearing on his damaged ankle,and, after further checks, will not be having surgery.
Mikael Ymer, who retired after getting a 18 month doping ban, announces he is, after all, coming back in 8 months, when his ban finishes.
MikaelYmer@MikelYmer,
"Retirement was boring see you in 8 months".
And the whole men's tour quakes in fear, twice-fold.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Update for Andy Murray,
I feel like this is the same song and dance with Andy Murray since the 2019 Australian Open. I really hope he hangs up the racket this time around.

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel like this is the same song and dance with Andy Murray since the 2019 Australian Open. I really hope he hangs up the racket this time around.
Andy has the right to hang up his racket when he chooses, like any other player, he loves the game of tennis,has battled back after hip surgeries and now with his damaged ankle, I admire Andy other players would have retired by now with those injuries.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Andy has the right to hang up his racket when he chooses, like any other player, he loves the game of tennis,has battled back after hip surgeries and now with his damaged ankle, I admire Andy other players would have retired by now with those injuries.
It is something. The players that come most readily to mind are Lleyton Hewitt and Mats Wilander, both of whom collapsed as elite players in their mid-20s and muscled on for years.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Another player I feel has to ,make a decision on his career is Dominic Thiem, who lost to a Q Canas ranked 240 in a first round match in Munich, it is hard to watch his matches of late
Thiem decided to play 2 clay challengers instead of HC, still no good results
I cannot see Thiem keep playing in challenger tournaments, to no avail, he needs to get his ranking up., so far that is not happening

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
It is something. The players that come most readily to mind are Lleyton Hewitt and Mats Wilander, both of whom collapsed as elite players in their mid-20s and muscled on for years.

Don't forget Marat Safin who was more talented than them all! His problem was between the ears mostly, getting to #1 & stopping the Federer run at the 2005 AO SF IIRC! I loved his play; w/o a doubt the "Ilie Nastase" of his time, but w/ power, touch, feel, & quickness! Beautiful women surrounding him probably didn't help! They were some of the most stunning women I've ever seen sitting in the stands! Marat won 2 majors defeating Sampras at his end in a USO final & an early version of Roger "down under!" BTW, his sister, Dinara Safina got to #1 for a min. w/o winning a major! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-tears-of-joy: