2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Charity matches will be played from Tuesday 9th to Friday 12th January as part of the AO Opening Week,
Tuesday Osaka v opponent TBA
Wednesday Alcaraz v de Minaur
Thursday Djokovic v Tsitsipas, Sabalenka v Sakkari
Friday Alcaraz v Ruud

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ugo Humbert withdraws from his R2 match in Brisbane, ( gastro) Jordan Thompson gets a walkover, to the QFs, with a potential meeting with Rafa Nadal.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought thiem played a good first set. Folks I think we finally got from Rafa what I have been asking for years, Practice Rafa playing liike he does in practice, more first strike tennis which can put an enormous amount of pressure on his opponent's defense. Well the sample size is way too small but I like what I saw Monday night.
Good Folks.. Any thoughts on this @tented @Moxie @MargaretMcAleer @Kieran

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Brisbane QFs
Friday 5th January,
H.Rune (1) vs J.Duckworth (Q)
R.Nadal (WC) vs J.Thompson ( for Rafa fans, his match not before 8pm local time)
R.Safiullin vs M.Arnaldi
G.Dimitrov (2) vs R.Hijikata (WC)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good Folks.. Any thoughts on this @tented @Moxie @MargaretMcAleer @Kieran
I finally saw the Kubler match, and v. much like what I'm seeing. I agree that he's playing much more aggressive, not looking to extend rallies. Kubler wasn't much of a test today, tbh. Let's see how it goes v. Thompson. Will be very interesting if he gets to Dimitrov.

Reactions: the AntiPusher

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I finally saw the Kubler match, and v. much like what I'm seeing. I agree that he's playing much more aggressive, not looking to extend rallies. Kubler wasn't much of a test today, tbh. Let's see how it goes v. Thompson. Will be very interesting if he gets to Dimitrov.
I just finished watching the Kubler match, I want to see how Rafa fares against a higher ranked player,

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just finished watching the Kubler match, I want to see how Rafa fares against a higher ranked player,
Agreed. In retrospect, that's why I think Thiem was a good place to start: known opponent, talented, but with struggles of his own. Good for the confidence. If he'd gotten a lesser qualifier, then Kubler, it would be much harder to judge the level.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Hi Sis @Moxie Moxie, do you remember Rafa playing first strike tennis like this for the entirety of a match..his UFEs are still low or at a Rafa acceptable level..my thoughts are this will put stress on whomever he faces including the world's top 5 players.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi Sis @Moxie Moxie, do you remember Rafa playing first strike tennis like this for the entirety of a match..his UFEs are still low or at a Rafa acceptable level..my thoughts are this will put stress on whomever he faces including the world's top 5 players.
I honestly don't. Finally doing what we've been begging him to do for years. Well, Federer learned a thing or two rather later, too. Old dogs CAN learn a few new tricks. Better for the old bones. If he can keep playing like this, he will stress anyone. He's moving great, too. I'll be holding my breath until he gets out of Oz, though. It's not his luckiest quadrant of the Earth. :lol6:

• Love

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I honestly don't. Finally doing what we've been begging him to do for years. Well, Federer learned a thing or two rather later, too. Old dogs CAN learn a few new tricks. Better for the old bones. If he can keep playing like this, he will stress anyone. He's moving great, too. I'll be holding my breath until he gets out of Oz, though. It's not his luckiest quadrant of the Earth. :lol6:
The most pleasing thing I read, Rafa said he can move freely with no pain .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The most pleasing thing I read, Rafa said he can move freely with no pain .
I do feel that the site is at risk of being non-stop Rafa, but the news of the week (on the ATP side) is actually the return of Rafa, and Novak's wrist.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I do feel that the site is at risk of being non-stop Rafa, but the news of the week (on the ATP side) is actually the return of Rafa, and Novak's wrist.
Maybe I should have put that post on the Rafa Fan post, Novak didnt have to play against Aussie in the United Cup for starters he was having pain in his wrist in his previous match and had MTO for it, that was his decision to play against de Minaur.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just finished watching the first mens QF in Brisbane, which went to a TB for the 1st set Safiullin who has become a fav of mine, a late bloomer, tennis wise,if he can play his best, he can be a very dangerous player, consistency is the key to build his ranking, his serve was on song and won 76(4) against Arnaldi ( I am going to also keep my eye on the womens QF featuring Rybakina)
Roman is really giving Arnaldi a 'tennis lesson' in the 2nd set leading 5-0
This match suspended some light rain, this match on a outside court with Safiullin leading 5-2 2nd set
Match has now resumed with Arnaldi serving and broken
Sufiullin d Arnaldi 76(4) 62, a solid display of tennis in all departments against Arnaldi, well done Safiullin making the SF at Brisbane!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Holger Rune up a set on James Duckworth in QF Brisbane International 62
Looking good in this first week of the year

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
What are the chances that Rafa draws Novak early at AO!