27. Bernarda Pera
28. Elise Mertens
29. Irina-Camelia Begu
30. Petra Martic
31. Mayar Sherif
32. Marie Bouzkova

uph7092igmmu9emw12ii.jpg

The Tournament:

The Wimbledon Championships, commonly known simply as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and is widely regarded as the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts, with retractable roofs over the two main courts since 2019.

Wimbledon is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments, the others being the Australian Open, the French Open, and the US Open. Wimbledon is the only major still played on grass, the traditional tennis playing surface. Also, it is the only Grand Slam that retains a night-time curfew, though matches can now continue until 11.00 pm under the lights.

The tournament traditionally takes place over two weeks in late June and early July, starting on the last Monday in June and culminating with the Ladies' and Gentlemen's Singles Finals, scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday at the end of the second week. Five major events are held each year, with additional junior and invitational competitions also taking place. In 2009, Wimbledon's Centre Court was fitted with a retractable roof to lessen the loss of playing time due to rain. A roof was operational over No. 1 Court from 2019, when a number of other improvements were made, including adding cushioned seating, a table and 10 independently operable cameras per court to capture the games.

About London:

London is the capital and largest city of England and the United Kingdom, with a population of just under 9 million. It stands on the River Thames in south-east England at the head of a 50-mile (80 km) estuary down to the North Sea, and has been a major settlement for two millennia. The City of London, its ancient core and financial centre, was founded by the Romans as Londinium and retains its medieval boundaries. The City of Westminster, to the west of the City of London, has for centuries hosted the national government and parliament. Since the 19th century, the name "London" has also referred to the metropolis around this core, historically split between the counties of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Kent, and Hertfordshire, which since 1965 has largely comprised Greater London, which is governed by 33 local authorities and the Greater London Authority.

London_Skyline_(125508655).jpeg

Buckingham_Palace,_London_-_April_2009.jpg

Tourism Guide:

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will have to put an injury cloud sad to say over No 10 seed Beatriz Haddad Maia who made the Top Ten, after her good result at RG, she has picked up a leg injury and had to withdraw from 2 grass tournaments recently, not 100% sure if she will compete at any grass tournaments prior to Wimbledon. I just checked Bea is on the player list for Rothesay International, Eastbourne which starts on June 26th, lets see if she plays or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Wimbledon draw is on Friday 30th June at 10am ( British Summer time)

Women's singles seeds if nobody withdraw till the draw,
First 2 out,
33. Zhu
34. Badosa
Also unseeded
Andreescu
Cirstea
Stepens,
Giorgi
Collins

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
  • Wow

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Elena Rybakina who was top seed Rothesay Tounrament, Eastbourne, has withdrawn, that does put a question mark on her defense at Wimbledon this year, apparently she is still trying to get 100% fit after the virus she caught at RG which forced her to withdraw., apparently Elena picked up a small issue in the Berlin tournament.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
A . Tomljanovic who made the QFs at Wimbledon in 2021 and 2022 has withdrawn

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Main draw wild cards,

Venus Williams
Elina Svitolina
Katie Boutler
Katie Swan
Harrier Dart
Heather Watson
Jodie Burrage

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Anna Kalinskaya withdraws from Wimbledon, Anna had a bad fall at Rome tournament and had to retire her match, she isnt able to recover in time, it is her favorite tournament, Anna was playing see well before her injury.
Get well Anna!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The Wimbledon draw is tomorrow Friday

30th June, 2023 at 10 am local time,

Lets look at some of the contenders,

Iga Swiatek is into her first SF on grass at Bad Homburg, she didnt past the round of 16 at Wimbledon in 2022

Aryna Sabalenka could not play last year due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, though her best result at Wimbledon was SF 2021

Elena Rybakina Current Wimbledon champion, though she has come into the grass season not fully 100% healthy, after catching a bad virus at RG.

Caroline Carcia Had to retire in her match at Eastbourne today against Kasatkina with a right shoulder injury, which dosent bode well for Wimbledon, she has won title on Grass last year ar Bad Homburg, does have a good grass game when healthy

Ons Jabeur Her season so far has been injury prone, she is the current 2022 finalist at Wimbledon in 2022, she has a good game on the grass

Petra Kvitova, she can be dangerous on grass and just recently won a title on grass in Berlin, former Wimbledon champion in 2011 and 2014

Karolina Muchova another player who I think can be dangerous on grass, as long as she can remain healthy, she has made the QFs at Wimbledon in 2019 and 2021.

Posters can also add their players who they think may win this year's Wimbledon or be a contendor

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I like Coco Gauff's chances at Wimbledon. I'm not sure if it's all due to the coaching changes, but Coco has played a lot better in the last match. That match against Mirra in the French Open was where Coco found her confidence. She lost a lot of those types of matches in the previous 18 months.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I like Coco Gauff's chances at Wimbledon. I'm not sure if it's all due to the coaching changes, but Coco has played a lot better in the last match. That match against Mirra in the French Open was where Coco found her confidence. She lost a lot of those types of matches in the previous 18 months.
Well her last 2 grass matches, has shown improvement, if she can win the title at Eastbourne, it will certainly improve her chances, Eastbourne has always been a factor at the chances of players going into Wimbledon, the great Martina N from memory has won 11 titles at Eastbourne

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Wimbledon draw is tomorrow Friday

30th June, 2023 at 10 am local time,

Lets look at some of the contenders,

Iga Swiatek is into her first SF on grass at Bad Homburg, she didnt past the round of 16 at Wimbledon in 2022

Aryna Sabalenka could not play last year due to the ban on Russian and Belarusian players, though her best result at Wimbledon was SF 2021

Elena Rybakina Current Wimbledon champion, though she has come into the grass season not fully 100% healthy, after catching a bad virus at RG.

Caroline Carcia Had to retire in her match at Eastbourne today against Kasatkina with a right shoulder injury, which dosent bode well for Wimbledon, she has won title on Grass last year ar Bad Homburg, does have a good grass game when healthy

Ons Jabeur Her season so far has been injury prone, she is the current 2022 finalist at Wimbledon in 2022, she has a good game on the grass

Petra Kvitova, she can be dangerous on grass and just recently won a title on grass in Berlin, former Wimbledon champion in 2011 and 2014

Karolina Muchova another player who I think can be dangerous on grass, as long as she can remain healthy, she has made the QFs at Wimbledon in 2019 and 2021.

Posters can also add their players who they think may win this year's Wimbledon or be a contendor
As usual, I am trolling your posts for suggestions for my draw challenge picks.

What do you think of Pegula, Krejcikova, Sakkari (sorry, I'm always trying to shoehorn her in,) Muchova, Blinkova? I love Kvitova on grass...could she do it again?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As usual, I am trolling your posts for suggestions for my draw challenge picks.

What do you think of Pegula, Krejcikova, Sakkari (sorry, I'm always trying to shoehorn her in,) Muchova, Blinkova? I love Kvitova on grass...could she do it again?
Pegula has picked up a back injury in her match against Coco today and she withdrew from their doubles SF as well,
Barbora has the game for grass, she could be a danger
Sakkari No
Blinkova could be dangerous
Petra winning Berlin title knows how to win at Wimbledon I would never count her out, she has played well prior to Wimbledon this year
Muchova if she can remain healthy at Wimbledon can be dangerous she has a good game on grass
I am still staying with Rybakina, though I am cautious, the key for her is to manage herself in the 1st week, and find her form on grass.,though her game on grass is just a pleasure to watch.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Pegula has picked up a back injury in her match against Coco today and she withdrew from their doubles SF as well,
Barbora has the game for grass, she could be a danger
Sakkari No
Blinkova could be dangerous
Petra winning Berlin title knows how to win at Wimbledon I would never count her out, she has played well prior to Wimbledon this year
Muchova if she can remain healthy at Wimbledon can be dangerous she has a good game on grass
I am still staying with Rybakina, though I am cautious, the key for her is to manage herself in the 1st week, and find her form on grass.,though her game on grass is just a pleasure to watch.
Thanks, as always, for the good scouting and the good tips. Now what about Iga? You mentioned above her progress on grass, this year to last. So of course, she's a danger, with her talents? Any chance she's ready to go all the way on the grass at Wimbledon? (Clearly, I'm just leaning over and copying off of your homework. :face-with-tears-of-joy: )

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks, as always, for the good scouting and the good tips. Now what about Iga? You mentioned above her progress on grass, this year to last. So of course, she's a danger, with her talents? Any chance she's ready to go all the way on the grass at Wimbledon? (Clearly, I'm just leaning over and copying off of your homework. :face-with-tears-of-joy: )
Well I have been impressed with her grass matches so far at Bad Homburg making the SFs, usually the low bouncing courts, and quick surface do not suit her game, though so far so good, I would not count her out, though I am still sticking with Rybakina and Sabalenka if she can watch her margins

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I found these odds in the Telegraph:

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 10.06.21 PM.png
This from a few hours ago, and even I can tell you that Ostapenko withdrew from her match today, presumably injured? So I guess it doesn't mean much.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I found these odds in the Telegraph:

View attachment 8334This from a few hours ago, and even I can tell you that Ostapenko withdrew from her match today, presumably injured? So I guess it doesn't mean much.
Osta to me has played too many matches on grass leading into Wimbledon both singles and doubles not injured just sick looking and called the doctor out in her match to check blood pressure etc then retired, she should have taken a break and not entered Eastbourne

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Projected QFs, ( if the seeds hold)

Swiatek vs Gauff
Pegula vs Garcia
Rybakina vs Jabeur
Sakkari vs Sabalenka

Status
Not open for further replies.