2023 US Open Final: Gauff vs. Sabalenka

Who wins the US Open?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I want Coco to win but I think Sabalenka will win. She’s experienced at this level, and tough. Coco is tough. Experience wins. Even in the face of what’s bound to be an animalistic partisan crowd who’ll make it ugly to watch…

Reactions: AnonymousFan

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I want Coco to win but I think Sabalenka will win. She’s experienced at this level, and tough. Coco is tough. Experience wins. Even in the face of what’s bound to be an animalistic partisan crowd who’ll make it ugly to watch…
Agreed. I’d love to see Coco win this, but Sabalenka is too tough an ask, I’m afraid, at this point. I watched last night’s SF this morning, and could see Sabalenka’s confidence and assuredness gain momentum as the match progressed, culminating in what can only be described as a dominating, fearless match TB.

I’ll give Coco one set (probably the 1st?), but unfortunately Sabalenka will win in 3.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't know, it just feels like Coco is destined to win this with all the tributes for BJK's 50th anniversary of equal pay/the Battle of the Sexes. It's only fitting the next great American champion breaks through under these circumstances. Coco in 2 tight sets 6-4, 7-6.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I will have to use my lap top while my main computer is in for service.

I have picked Sabalenka from the start of the tournament to win the USO and from what I saw in her SF when she was down a set and a break and nearly going out I have not changed my mind. Saba had a very good draw, and on the HCs this is where her game comes alive, with Saba it is all about watching her margins, making sure her first serve is clicking and 2nd serve, she is a power player and when 'on' she is difficult to beat.Saba has made all the SFs at the majors this year, winning the AO, yes she has had a mental block getting into GS finals this year though she proved in her match against Keys, she found her range and belief she could turn the match around and she did that is a mark of a very good player, she will have nerves again, all players do regardless of how many GS finals they make or how many GS titles they have won.Saba also leads the race to the WTA Finals and will take over the World No 1 title on Monday from Iga Swiatek.

Coco Gauff has been the best player this Summer ( winning 17 of 18 matches) she has come into her own after winning Cinncy title and also adding Brad Gilbert as a consultant to her team. Coco has gained more confidence going for her serve, and has been more aggressive, as Gilbert has said lets hone in on Coco's positive points, which he has done.Her fhand is still shaky at times, Muchova attacked it more in the 2nd set with success, though you cant expect to correct it in a few months. Coco will have to find another level when she plays Saba, her 2nd serve can be attacked and she can be pushed off the baseline from Saba's powerful play, she may have to find other ways to defeat Saba.

I am hoping for a competitive final as some of the lead up matches to the final at the USO have been blow outs and one sided.

May I add if Coco Gauff wins her 1st major at the USO I will be most delighted!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Congratulations to Danilina and Harri Heliovara winning the Mixed Doulbes title over top seeds Jess Pegula and Austin Krajick 63 64!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just read some news ( via Nick Lester) that Hari Heliovarra and Ana Dalinina who had never met before or spoken before, signed up together at the desk just before the deadline and went onto to win the Mixed Doubles title :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, no, I saw it.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I vote Coco in 3, but I don't know.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh, you...it was a good match.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I got Coco Puffs in 3. While I appreciate Saba's experience and fight, BG will give Coco the blueprint to frustrate the heck out of Screamlenka. Girlfriend will be forced into a ton of errors. Coco just needs to control that FH when it's targeted, serve well and she can hold that trophy this evening.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry, switching between this and my wonky stream.